Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I just received my 1 stage mtd blower, the auger is in contact with the auger housing, so the snowblower vibrate a little bit and the engine power goes up and down when the auger hits the housing, is that normal?

·
Super Moderator
9,892 Posts
:welcome: to the forum Tbtaoufiq

No on both counts. The auger/paddles shouldn't be hitting the housing and the engine shouldn't be surging.

Where did you get it ??

·
Super Moderator
9,892 Posts
I'd call them tomorrow or tonight and let them know you're having problems. Might have been damaged in transit.
What is the model number of it ??

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I called and there willing to replace it but also offered 10% off if i keep, so i m wondering what should i do!!!
It s a 21" remington 179 cc 1 stage snow blower. The book says it s made by mtd

·
Registered
109 Posts
I'd just get a replacement.If it took a hit or fell off a truck you may be looking at other damage down the road.If it was 50 percent I'd reconsider ,but not for 10 percent.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok thanks. I ll follow your advise.
Is remington a good brand?? I m kind of hesitent now because of this

·
Super Moderator
3,855 Posts
Ok thanks. I ll follow your advise.
Is remington a good brand?? I m kind of hesitent now because of this
Well..since you asked, no, its not that great..pretty low-end.
Honda and Toro are generally considered the top two for single-stage machines..Ariens and Simplicity/Snapper would also be good.

Scot

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Well..since you asked, no, its not that great..pretty low-end.
Honda and Toro are generally considered the top two for single-stage machines..Ariens and Simplicity/Snapper would also be good.

Scot
fully agree , but if it is what your budget allows its better than a shovel...i hate shovels !! with that being said, if you take really good care of it, it "should" treat you ok. jmo

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
I would post some pics of the business end of the machine. That might give folks a better idea of whether the 10 % discount would be better served in repairing yourself, or sending it back.

·
Super Moderator
9,892 Posts
Ouch !

IMHO I'd rather have a new, new one. I haven't see one (yet) where the paddles or auger are adjustable in the housing so normally whatever the engineer designed as a clearance between the auger and housing is fixed.

Maybe the paddle rubbers are a little thick, they shifted a bit during assembly or the auger housing is bent somehow. IMHO, I don't think trying to fix is worth the 10%

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Here is the pictures...
\
In a couple of those pictures, it appears that the scraper bar may be bent upward into the path of the paddles. Bent sheet metal can be a bear to straighten out. Not impossible, but not worth the trouble for only 10% discount. If you had to take it to a body shop, Im sure it would cost you over 100 to get it fixed, not to mention the damage to the paint.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Agreed, this could be costlier than what they are willing to discount.

Could the auger axle be bent?

·
Registered
725 Posts
By any chance do the instructions say not to run dry? I'm thinking of the way some impeller kits need to marry while running with soapy water or snow.

·
Premium Member
5,202 Posts
Take that thing back and either get a new replacement blower or buy another brand if you can afford it..

1 - 20 of 36 Posts