Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a non-running Bobcat T7-2-24 on craigslist the other day. I cleaned it up, put a new carb, fuel filter, & hoses on it and it started right up.

I also put new belts on it I got from NAPA by taking the old belts in and measuring them.

A couple of questions.

1. I didn't get it all the way back together yet, but it looks like the impeller spins all the time, is this correct? Do I need to lube the belt/pulley so that it only spins when the handle is engaged?

2. The faster/slower lever doesn't seem to move or do anything. Am I doing something wrong? Do I need to pull out and turn or just turn?

3. What is the oil capacity for the engine and the drive mechanism? Both use 5w-20?

4. While running, the impeller hits the side of the housing, but only with one blade. I was thinking of taking a body hammer to it and beating on the housing a bit to try to make room, there isn't much room to swing a hammer in there. Bad idea?

And now some photos for your viewing pleasure:

·
Registered
85 Posts
Are you sure its not the belts? If you look in my profile you will find the right belt for these machines! Its the angle of the V thats the problem. I have been using these belts for years with no problems!

·
Registered
85 Posts
4. While running, the impeller hits the side of the housing, but only with one blade. I was thinking of taking a body hammer to it and beating on the housing a bit to try to make room, there isn't much room to swing a hammer in there. Bad idea?
Have you checked the bearings?

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
@Opti,

The engine oil I would use in that would be Full Synthetic 5W30. That's what I use in all my machine engines, summer and winter.

The impeller and augers should be engaged only when lever depressed, otherwise, very dangerous.

Nice project ... Once you get it running good, take off those lawn tires with the bouncing chains, and put on some real snow tires like XTrac or SnowHogs.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I stripped mine for paint and total exam. That is the best way to learn how it works. I even stripped the gearbox to repack w grease. The lever below the handles tensions the auger drive belt. You'd better check the small chain turning the auger as that is the weak link in the whole machine. When it is all apart the chains and bearing can be lubed or replaced. I found a crack in the engine mounting plate had a vibration crack. Welded, fresh paint reassemble. I've got some pix on here that may be helpful. Good luck. GJ

·
Registered
150 Posts
PS the throttle knob pull out to speed up push down to slow and kill at end of stroke. Mine has decal next to the knob.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts