Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I could be posting this in the wrong section but I have a question on a carb I ordered Sunday and got today from Amazon. The carb is from Oregon I open the box and notice the plastic bag it came in had been cut open and the carb smelled gassy. Has anyone run into this? I haven't slapped it on too cold (17) but it looks real new. By the way it's a Oregon 50-659 for a 10 hp Ariens and looks like a good match.

·
Account closed by member request.
9,612 Posts
you may have gotten a returned one from amazon. I would be extra prudent in making sure nothing was taken off of it.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Yep you got a return. You could install it and see if it works. If it does, contact amazon and tell them it was used. You will probably get a refund.

Or just return it and get a new one. Up to you.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As a follow up. I sent a notice to Outdoor power deals and this is their reply.

"We open the Bag to check that the float is level. Its not gas you smell its machine oil from Manufacture. Let us know if you have any problems. 800-409-0162 M - F 9am-5pm Central Time"

Don't make sense to me.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As another follow up I threw the carb on crank it for about two seconds and she fired right up. We see what happens next snow fall.

·
Registered
657 Posts
As another follow up I threw the carb on crank it for about two seconds and she fired right up. We see what happens next snow fall.
Make sure you fuel shut off is off run carb dry let it sit dry if you don't have a shut off good time to add one :cool:

·
Registered
137 Posts
Absolutely add a filter. You know Amazon or the company selling in their name may well be telling the truth about checking the carb. All us guys who wrench know full well Quality Control is a word never found in China and thats where this stuff all comes from doesn't it. They prob got a lot of complaints about frozen out of wack floats and settings so they open them and check them. Or it could have been some guy who ordered the wrong one and sent it back, oh well.
Realistically too how much is a carb from a dealer last time you checked? Toss the machine right or darned well near. For the pittance you pay on amazon you take your licks and keep smiling. I tried to rebuild my carb on a Sears generator that got water in and crudded up. Ordered kit fought with and never got going. I saw one on Amazon with matching model and 33 dollars later put it on and ran, never even adjusted it works so well.:eek:

·
Registered
38 Posts
I bought a carburetor for my HM80 from China, I had to readjust the float and now it runs perfect. No more backfiring and rough idle. I paid under $20.00 with free shipping. I had the old carb off several times to try to get it to work right with no luck. It was too corroded to save.
Hank

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just a last follow up. I just got done plowing 6-8" of snow and this carb never missed a beat. I would recommend these people that's for sure.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts