Snowblower Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Premium GOT Member
10,961 Posts
when this happens with me , I try another plug. Is it the correct plug?

The ether should at least almost start it. I assume you check fuel flow to carb.

Did you eyeball that the choke plate is closing when choke is applied?

I also assume you checked the valve lash cold on the compression stroke.

Was the carb removed for any reason? if so are the linkages/gaskets on correctly. the linkages freely move? The carb is on tight?

Is it possibly flooded? do you smell gas? if so there is a tried and true method on starting a flooded engine.

just the things I check as routine.

sometimes i step away from a no start problem and revisit the next day fresh and invariably figure it out.

· Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I also assume you checked the valve lash
Is it possibly flooded? do you smell gas? if so there is a tried and true method on starting a flooded engine.
What is the tried and true method?

It's possible it is flooded but it sat for a week before I tried the new carb. Everything is tight and the gasket on this carb only goes on one way.

Valve lash is within spec. I losened the intake lash .001 as it was right at the min.

Plug is new. NGK BPR6ES.

I'm skeptical about the linkages as I dont fully understand how the governor works. The throttle is wide open and the choke is closed/open as expected when I attempt to start it though.

· Registered
865 Posts
I'd try some starting fluid (ether) and if it has spark and compression it will run off that for a few seconds. Spray some into the carburetor intake or even remove the spark plug. spray it in the cylinder, put the spark plug back and crank it. If it doesn't start then it is lacking either spark or compression. If it starts and then dies it is a fuel delivery problem.

· Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Kill switch is good. I have spark on the tester.

Could very well be severely flooded, but I ran the electric starter without the plug, choke off for a maybe 10-15 seconds.

Its as if it has no spark or weak spark in the combustion chamber. in open air, and on the tester, it's fine. I'm pretty sure weak spark shows up on that style of tester?

Anyway, I ended up bringing it to a small engine shop. Too many balls in the air this week.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts