Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys, a work pal of mine gave me this big older MTD 33 inch blower, but with 1 hitch, the 12 hp Tecumseh was seized according to him.
As it turned out they used it after it was sitting out in the cold and neglected, and broke the connecting rod, as far as I can tell, but did not tear down the engine.
I pulled the engine, went over the machine, all looks pretty good, the front auger gear box looks ridiculously light duty, the drive and friction wheel areas look good, even the belts are in good shape.
I am planning on buying a Princess Auto Powerfist (Canadas Answer for Predator) Winter engine, 420 cc for a good deal less than $400 bucks.
Whats the thoughts on this , of course this is not an old Airens or John Deere machine, have had those and they are built for bullwork and to last, not sure why I ended up selling them.
Currently I do my long country driveway with a Polaris 500 and blade, but sure could use a blower once ina while to get the job done.
Here are some pics.
I am looking for the pitfalls and negatives on this machine, so lemme have it...

·
Registered
407 Posts
I don't see any pics,but you asked for opinions,so I'll oblige you.I wouldn't spend $400 to repair any MTD snowblower ever made.If I was given that machine and the twelve horse Tecumseh was good,I'd pull it and throw the rest of the blower away.

I don't know about your area,but here in NH,I can go on Craigslist any day of the week and find a very good used Ariens,like an ST824 for example,or a good classic Toro 826,or even newer models for $300 or less.If I saw an MTD on fire,I wouldn't piss on it to put it out if the owner said I could have it for free and he'd deliver it.Just my opinion,others will certainly disagree.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't see any pics,but you asked for opinions,so I'll oblige you.I wouldn't spend $400 to repair any MTD snowblower ever made.If I was given that machine and the twelve horse Tecumseh was good,I'd pull it and throw the rest of the blower away.

I don't know about your area,but here in NH,I can go on Craigslist any day of the week and find a very good used Ariens,like an ST824 for example,or a good classic Toro 826,or even newer models for $300 or less.If I saw an MTD on fire,I wouldn't piss on it to put it out if the owner said I could have it for free and he'd deliver it.Just my opinion,others will certainly disagree.
Thanx Man, but not sure for what......LOL
Your US prices and availability is certainly not the same as in my area of Canada, but that's neither here nor there...
Personally am not a big fan of Tecumseh engines, prefer Briggs and Honda, have had a few Honda clones and all have been great so far.
But since I did ask for opinions (loaded question), would you oblige me on your disgust with MTD machines, or in other words what is you can tell me makes you say there garbage?
I don't certainly don't mind an honest answer, if that answer explains why...thanx anyway

·
Premium Member
3,452 Posts
I am not familiar with MTD branded units, but being a 1990s should be a decently made blower.
If you evaluated it and it is in good shape, I'd say go for it, put the big motor and enjoy the Beast.....!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am not familiar with MTD branded units, but being a 1990s should be a decently made blower.
If you evaluated it and it is in good shape, I'd say go for it, put the big motor and enjoy the Beast.....!
Thanx Its one of those, should I or shouldn't I.
This unit is not too badly manufactured, metal fairly heavy, some obvious weaknesses and cheap production, but in okay shape.
Will post pics, don't do "Photobucket" so do not have permission to post attachments from my files...

·
Premium Member
3,452 Posts
You can start posting on other threads post counts move quick, 15 posts and you'll be able to post pics with links....

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just a qualifier, I am not against Tecumseh engines, as have owned a few , just had more trouble with them, maybe just my luck...

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
For me it's got two strikes
#1 it.s not a 70s or or 80s mtd
#2 most likely it's a duel shaft engine . if it is,it can be done but a lot more work.
If it was me I would look for another running blower with that $400.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
For me it's got two strikes
#1 it.s not a 70s or or 80s mtd
#2 most likely it's a duel shaft engine . if it is,it can be done but a lot more work.
If it was me I would look for another running blower with that $400.
Metal is a heavy gauge, and its not a dual shaft, I would have stated this from the get go.
Did Tecumseh made a 12hp dual shaft engine...???
No its not dual shaft, that would be a deal breaker for me..

·
Registered
109 Posts
Would like to see some pictures. I have a 1998 MTD YardMan with a 13 HP Snow King engine that has given me zero problems in the last 18 years and in excellent condition because I take care of it.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Thanks. It looks like it is in pretty good shape. So the 12HP motor is toast? Does that machine have a 16" impeller like mine? I am surprised that it does not have the triggers for the steering. Do you have a picture of the transmission area?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks. It looks like it is in pretty good shape. So the 12HP motor is toast? Does that machine have a 16" impeller like mine? I am surprised that it does not have the triggers for the steering. Do you have a picture of the transmission area?
will post pics in a bit, this is Canadian model, possibly some differences....

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
This may be a slightly better machine than the newer MTDs. What I would do, check the damage of the engine, if only a connecting rod, order that. If not, order an engine, put it on and use it while looking for a better built machine. Buy that and sell the MTD for what you have in to it or more. In the meantime you have a snowblower that works so you are not in a hurry to buy another machine. You can take your time finding the right machine at the right price. The older machines do use heavier steel for the frame, base, housing, many have cast iron gear boxes, heavier auger blades, thicker impellers, some are really solid, however they lack the newer features, steering, 2 way cable chute control which is a nuisance, I prefer only the 1 way up and down.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts