1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
100 Posts
IF anyone reads the whole story, instead of just the big print headlines, you will see the battery is an approx. 1/4 of one amphour to be able to recharge in less than ten minutes. Now picture a 500 to 1000 pound auto battery and then imagine the high voltage required to do this. Ordinary home owners have no more than 240 volts available, and that is why charging stations of 460/480 volt are built away from most other structures where it can be made available.
And it might be a "breakthrough" idea that the battery lasts 10 years. So to me that is like the expense buying a totally new engine every 10 years.
I'm still believing in the fuel cell ideas (zero emissions) that both Toyota (with fuel cell autos currently for sale) and Yamaha are working on.

·
Premium Member
1979 (or so) Toro 724 (38050) and 2018 Ariens Platinum 24
1,464 Posts
And moves the car 5700 feet before recharging . . .

Remember, small batteries recharge quickly too! Need to be certain that this claim isn't just more marketing BS!

·
Registered
4,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i can fill my gas tank in under 1 minute!
Usually takes me about 5-6 minutes from the time I finally get to the pump.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Let's just fantasize here for a moment. Even though it is not possible with this technology at the moment. Let's say they could get 300 miles between chargings. If you could recharge in ten minutes, You might be tempted to take your vehicle on long trips. Say 600 miles in a day. So recharging twice a day for 500 days brings you to your limit of 1000 chargings. Replacing your battery every 16 Months, 1 Week, 5 Days, 23 Hours, 6 Minutes and 39 Seconds still doesn't sound economical.

Reactions: Tseg and tadawson

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Let's just fantasize here for a moment. Even though it is not possible with this technology at the moment. Let's say they could get 300 miles between chargings. If you could recharge in ten minutes, You might be tempted to take your vehicle on long trips. Say 600 miles in a day. So recharging twice a day for 500 days brings you to your limit of 1000 chargings. Replacing your battery every 16 Months, 1 Week, 5 Days, 23 Hours, 6 Minutes and 39 Seconds still doesn't sound economical.
economical vs what ?? 600 miles per day x 500 days = 300k miles. Thats alot of $$$$ in gas.

·
Registered
945 Posts
I suppose I walked right into that one, But since it can only go 5700 feet between chargings at the moment, the math is still on my side

·
Somebody
3,558 Posts
Please don't make me stop the bus. :cool:

The Wright Brothers' first flight was shorter than the wingspan of a 747, everyone pointed and laughed.

Any more static and the thread gets closed... I have a headache and don't need it. OK?

Much obliged, thanks and regards,

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.