Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just picked up this new toy from a guy I know. I just so happen to be driving by his house and he had it out next to the road, along with some other junk, just waiting for someone to take it (probably the garbage service...)

This is how I got it; the condition of this is outstanding. It looks to have been garaged its entire life, paint is great, and has no rust. A couple scratches here and there, but nothing I care about. It does not start though.

It only has a set of chains on a single tire, but that's not an issue. It has the differential lock on the left wheel. The tires have good tread and don't have any cracking. I took off the belt cover quickly and the belts are in good condition.

I have not yet done any work this this yet, but I know that the carburetor is more than likely the culprit for the engine not running. Depending on how bad it is, I may just buy a new carb from ebay instead of cleaning/rebuilding it. I'll be doing the oil, checking the tire pressure, greasing all the internals and other moving parts, and getting a new spark plug for it.

I know it's a 924 series, but who can help with figuring the proper year of this machine?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
729 Posts
Sure looks allot like my father's 1983 ST1130, So my guess is early to mid 80's for the year

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Congrats on the find!

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I did some work to it, and have a few things to mention:
This blower was certainly cared for its entire life, all the internals are perfectly clean and still greased up, but...
It definitely was not put into the proper storage from last season, or perhaps before that even. The gas that I drained was pretty much the color and consistency of cheap maple syrup, and you can imagine how bad the carburetor was, too.
I drained the oil which I don't think has ever been done. It was the thickest and dirtiest oil I have ever seen. I drained it, added in new oil, pulled the recoil several times, drained it again (still pretty dirty), then added some decent oil

I cleaned the carburetor, added some fuel treatment into some fresh gas, and fired it up. It was a little difficult at first because I still have to add a line for the primer. I tune the carb a bit and it sounds good at full throttle, but it's still surging at a lower rpm. I'll tinker with it some more in the following days to fix it

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's a ridiculous pick up for free!! Congrats and enjoy that baby.
Oh I plan on it. I'm hoping to sell my older 1971 7/24 Ariens in a few weeks and replace it with this new one.

·
Retired Moderator
4,160 Posts
Might want to pull the front gearcase apart and check the condition of the grease. I just rebuilt one of these that was sitting outside and when I took my gearcase apart the grease inside still looked new, but I replaced it with some '00' grease. I figured as old as it was and from sitting outside it would have been dried or watery, but not. I have heard that they can have problems with lubrication though.

Mine had one auger stuck a bit, but I was able to free it with a couple pipe wrenches fairly easily.

·
Super Moderator
6,670 Posts
are you keeping it or selling it

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Good ideas Shryp. I'll take a gander at it over the weekend.

are you keeping it or selling it
As of right now, it's looking like I'll be keeping it. It's way clean, original, and back in running order.
Besides, it's much safer than my other 7/24 that my father occasionally uses, so I'll be able to rest assured he won't accidentally cause the blower to runway with the augers still engaged. I'll most likely sell the older one once the snow flies

·
Premium Member
5,205 Posts
It's always nice to find good stuff. You scored a beauty, Slowrider.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I had the fortune of speaking with the former owner earlier this evening. I'm proud to say that I am the 2nd owner of this snowblower, however the owner didn't remember what year he bought it in, nor did he have the original paperwork or manual.
Now I just have to wait until we get some snow to try it out

1 - 12 of 12 Posts