Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
880 Posts
When they finally manage to design a snowblower with no metal in it, they'll probably call that a "feature" too! :icon-rolleyes:

Reactions: Elt31987

·
Registered
571 Posts
I have one of the old Ariens with the airless tires. They are hard as a rock and worn out. Air filled tires sounds good right about now for it! :)

·
Premium Member
5,205 Posts
My old Gilson...

·
Premium Member
3,860 Posts
My 1971 Ariens tires probably still have 1971 air inside of them..there is no meaningful disadvantage to a tire with air, either tubeless or with a tube.

generally these airless solid tire designs are far less functional that a regular tire with air.
and yes, its been done on snowblowers since the 1950's, for one reason only: making a cheaper snowblower for the lower-end of the lineup.
but manufacturers always need to put a positive spin on cheaper designs! that's just marketing 101.

Scot

·
Premium Member
5,205 Posts
My 1971 Ariens tires probably still have 1971 air inside of them..there is no meaningful disadvantage to a tire with air, either tubeless or with a tube.

generally these airless solid tire designs are far less functional that a regular tire with air.
and yes, its been done on snowblowers since the 1950's, for one reason only: making a cheaper snowblower for the lower-end of the lineup.
but manufacturers always need to put a positive spin on cheaper designs! that's just marketing 101.

Scot
I have to agree in part with this. I can see items such as wheelbarrows and some dollies but for a snowblower I want air filled tires. :2cents:

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
This is a new low for the modern snow blower.

The "special" airless tires on my generator have major flat spots on them.

...Not a big deal for a stationary piece, but for something that rolls a lot this could be a disaster!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Airless tires on the Troy-Bilt Snow Blowers

New technology "Mars Rover" design airless tires work well. Can not compare them to something on an old snowblower or a generator to be fair!

·
Banned
943 Posts
... manufacturers always need to put a positive spin on cheaper designs! that's just marketing 101.Scot
Amen to that!
Grrr... "New improved lightweight engine components for maneuverability" aka "cheap nylon camshafts for improved land-fill disposability" ;-)

·
Registered
189 Posts
I like the airless tires on my old MTD snowthrower. Pneumatic tires would probably get better traction, or maybe be less likely to dig holes. With those chains I've never had traction issues, but sometimes when I'm pushing back snow banks the tires will dig into the snow pack high centering the the thrower.
I very much prefer airless tires on anything I don't ride on, one less thing to worry about.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts