Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello every one. Found this forum not long ago and have been reading some of the posts. Decided to join. I, have a Ariens compact 22 and a Snapper 8265. Picked up the Snapper at a garage sale. Want to use the Snapper at my friends house, she, and I are both in our 70's. After putting new belts on it and going all over it, it seems to run fine. We will find out this winter. When I called /snapper to order the belts, I was told it was built in 1999. Does any one know much about these blowers. I, enjoy, yard work, gardening, working on things. . Looking forward to talking to all of you.

·
Premium Member
1,069 Posts
Welcome to SBF

Snapper blowers are not that common in my neck of the woods, but many on this site think they are good machines.

Any photos of your "new" machine?

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
Welcome .... many capable people here, with lots of knowledge and some handy hints a swell....

I am a fan of the older machines ,,, I have restored and refurbished quite a few.

You probably want to join mytractorforum.com as well .... similar to this site, with more focus on the other yard implements.

·
Registered
3,293 Posts
Welcome to SBF! Lot of good smart people on here only because they've been here for awhile! So stay! Please.

The Snapper 8265 is a great machine, 8hp, I especially like a 26" width, a nice power to weight ratio. I like the fine tooth metal chute gears, the chute handle is on top, thick metal, nice machine.

Reactions: Plan - B

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
@Plan - B,

I use either the Gates PoweRated (green heavy duty ones), or the D & D Power Drive Kevlar (blue heavy duty ones) .... ( unless it calls for say a specific cogged or ribbed style belt (rare)

Just make sure you have the correct length and width ... the majority are 1/2 width, but some are less than and some more than 1/2 inch wide. You can many times see the size on the old belt, but I would also check the original size intended for the machine, as someone certainly could have put a wrong belt on through the years.

Also make sure any idler pulley is spinning freely on their bearings, and aligned with the drive and attachment pulleys. Also any belt guide fingers are properly placed. They should not be touching the belt while operating (close but not touching), but usually resting against and restraining the belt from jumping the pulley in a relaxed state.

You will enjoy the older units, as they are built very well, but may lack in some of the safety features of todays new units, so as always, just be careful and always alert around any machines.

·
Registered
3,293 Posts
You called Snapper and ordered the belts from them? Normally you would pay more. We all go to one of the online parts site, PartsTree, SearsPartsDirect, JacksSmallEngines, eReplacementParts, PartsSelect, ...... to get the part number and either order from them or go to eBay, Amazon and order the belts we want. My preference is D&D Power, Pix, A&I, oneacer likes Gates Power Rated, I've never have but he's a solid mechanic I plan to try them.

·
Registered
195 Posts
You called Snapper and ordered the belts from them? Normally you would pay more. We all go to one of the online parts site, PartsTree, SearsPartsDirect, JacksSmallEngines, eReplacementParts, PartsSelect, ...... to get the part number and either order from them or go to eBay, Amazon and order the belts we want. My preference is D&D Power, Pix, A&I, oneacer likes Gates Power Rated, I've never have but he's a solid mechanic I plan to try them.
Not to hijack this thread, but I bought some belts that I've been happy with (so far) from vbeltguys.com. I know nothing else about them, beyond their customer service is outstanding! Any comments about them, or from @Oneacer? I dislike Amazon w/ a passion and will buy from them only when there are no other options.

·
Registered
3,293 Posts
I forgot VBeltGuys, their prices on belts are INSANE! Some are like $1.50 or something stupid. They seem to last but I'm always changing machines, trying them in a snow before I put them up for sale.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I forgot VBeltGuys, their prices on belts are INSANE! Some are like $1.50 or something stupid. They seem to last but I'm always changing machines, trying them in a snow before I put them up for sale.
The ones I got were supposed to fit my HS828 (they did) and are supposed to be Kevlar. Time will tell. They seemed to fit fine - as if they had been made for the machine (duh, dummy, they were!! even used the oem part number). Half the price for the pair of anyone else.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hello, need a little help. Like I said, I bought this snapper 8265, at a grage sale. Want to fix it up to use. I, did not get a owerners manual when I bought it. It has a Tecumseh motor. I, want to change the oil. Do not know what I should use. Tryed looking on line, Could not find any thing. Any help would be greatful. Thanks.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts