Snowblower Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
What is the problem with the fuel caps? I have a 2015 Ariens Pro.
Imho, because some had issues and others didn't.
Due to inconsistent manufacturing,
Some are prone to leaking and hard to take off and put on.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Imho, because some had issues and others didn't.
Due to inconsistent manufacturing,
Some are prone to leaking and hard to take off and put on.
Thanks... Zavie
When I bought my machine a little over a year ago, mine was hard to twist on and off. There was actually a little grinding type noise when I went to screw or unscrew the fuel cap. I put a little vasoline on the metal (?) I think it was... and it is smoother and a bit easier to turn now. I guess can deal and live with how it feels now... as long as it never leaks.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I've now seen snowblowers at 3 retailers, and I have yet to see this new gas cap on any of them. At first I thought maybe it was just last year's stock but that wouldn't account for every single machine not having it, unless Ariens is shipping out old stock in my region.
Seeing we had 2 years in row with low snow, I've seen a lot of 2019 stock on the floors. 2020 trickling in, and saw the new cap on those, the small deluxe model. Still haven't seen a 2020 platinum or pro yet.

·
Registered
340 Posts
What is the problem with the fuel caps? I have a 2015 Ariens Pro.
If you have a Briggs on the pro, you won't have a problem. It only was on the LCT engines that had a bad cap design.

Reactions: Zavie

·
Registered
170 Posts
A Honda GX motor gas cap cured my problem on my Platinum SHO 30. You can only replace the rubber gasket on the LCT cap with a Honda and it's ok.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Any idea if the new cap will fit last years LCT engine ? My Platinum, and the Pro I purchased last Fall also "weeps" gas from the cap. I was hoping for a B&S engine, but the dealer only had the LCT engines in the Pro's. The new one appears to be a "screw" type, compared to the "ears/tabs on mine.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #29 (Edited)
Any idea if the new cap will fit last years LCT engine ? My Platinum, and the Pro I purchased last Fall also "weeps" gas from the cap. I was hoping for a B&S engine, but the dealer only had the LCT engines in the Pro's. The new one appears to be a "screw" type, compared to the "ears/tabs on mine.
It will not, the new caps screw on as you noticed. One member said he took the rubber seal off a Honda cap and put it on the Ariens cap and that stopped the leaking. That would be less expensive than replacing the entire tank with this years model tank

·
Registered
39 Posts
Thanks, I didn't think it would just by the looks of it. I looked at a Honda cap, but ti didn't look like it would work. Glad to see that Ariens changed the design even if they kept saying there was no problem...

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
For those who still have this problem, I tried a big metal fuel tank cap from a Honda GX390 motor on my AX414 (Platinum 30 SHO) and it fit nicely with it's attached filter screen. The Honda fuel cap has a softer and thicker rubber seal than the LCT cap.
Found this on another thread, he used the whole cap.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #33 (Edited)
Way cheaper than a new tank. There was a member who switched over to the Briggs tank for the larger capacity. Hopefully the Honda cap works.

·
Registered
170 Posts
The problem with the stock cap is the hard rubber seal they use. The Honda rubber seal is softer and a little bit thicker. The Honda cap really ended the problem and if you don't like the chrome look of the Honda cap, take out the rubber seal from the Honda cap and use it on the LCT cap. I think Honda don't sell the rubber seal alone. Yo have to buy the whole Honda cap.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts