Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok have a tecumseh HS-50 with one magnet off flywheel can't tell exactly were ? so my question is whats the distance between the 2 mags. ?? as i am sure that gap needs to be exact Thanks

·
Retired Moderator
9,915 Posts
:moved: to Repair and Maint.

:welcome: to SBF ss64
I don't know but hopefully someone can give you some guidance.

·
Registered
259 Posts
May or may not help, but there is a guy repairing a flywheel on a HS-50 with a missing magnet on a youtube video. Google tecumseh HS-50 flywheel specs and check out vids.

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
Unless someone can measure a removed flywheel, it may be a difficult question to answer. I personally doubt you'll find, for instance, a published spec for the distance or angle between the magnets. I'd imagine the manufacturer considered the flywheel as a part you'd simply replace if magnets had a problem, vs re-attaching them.

Can you figure out from marks, or shiny areas on the flywheel, where the magnet was mounted?

And, which magnets are we talking about? The last time I worked on a flywheel, it was an HMSK80, and there was a magnet on the outside of the flywheel, for the ignition. And then 3 magnets on the inside diameter of the flywheel, which powered the alternator, to run the headlight.

The outside ignition magnet was mounted quite solidly to the flywheel, and probably would be tough to dislodge.

The first picture shows the 3 internal magnets, for the alternator (the sister engine to this HMSK80 did not have an alternator, and its flywheel did not have those 3 internal magnets). The second picture shows the external, ignition magnet, in the upper-left.

If what has come loose is an internal magnet, for an alternator, then I'd probably position it opposite the other magnet, for balance purposes. Pictures of what you're dealing with may help.

Attachments

·
Registered
63 Posts
Just eyeball the spacing, the problem may be the north/south acclimation of the magnets.

I have done a few Kohler flywheels that have lost the magnets on the inside. A little JB weld and they're fine

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks this site is hard to navigate ok i did see that he does not go into detail ! and certainly not the distance between them

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks this site is hard to navigate ok i did see that he does not go into detail ! and certainly not the distance between them ok to add to this the reason i ask this is its very rusty & even with all the cleaning its hard to get it exact the other stayed put i even called the factory & because of legal reasons they could not give me that info. nor how critical the gap needs to be ! so i am here to get that info again hope someone with a wheel inn the stuff can measure that ? thanks

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
Forgive me, but I'll reiterate my post #5: which magnets are we taking about? Internal facing magnets for the alternator, or external facing magnets for the ignition?

If it's alternator magnets, I doubt their actual position really matters. Just make sure they're evenly spaced, to keep the flywheel balanced.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Thanks this site is hard to navigate ok i did see that he does not go into detail ! and certainly not the distance between them ok to add to this the reason i ask this is its very rusty & even with all the cleaning its hard to get it exact the other stayed put i even called the factory & because of legal reasons they could not give me that info. nor how critical the gap needs to be ! so i am here to get that info again hope someone with a wheel inn the stuff can measure that ? thanks
Again, as others have already stated, if it's one of the inside (charging/lighting) magnets, overall flywheel balance is more important than exact positioning relative to the other magnets. It's the outside ignition magnet that must be positioned exactly relative to the crank key.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts