Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just installed some new hieght adjustment skids and after only one week they are completly worn out. I do snow removal for about 9 properties and this past week we had two blizzards plus I do have 10-15lbs extra wieght in the front. 95 craftman 8p 24". Does this mean I will be having to buy new skids every week? I don't get it I just don't understand how they can only last a week.

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
Well Im sure its the weight thats doing it. They are steel skids right? One thought is if your doing a lot of blowing, and mounting weight on it, I would rig up a bracket that will hold a skateboard wheel on each side. The nylon they are made of lasts a long time, doesnt scrach pavement, and eaven if the bearing seezes up, you still have a long lasting wear surface.

·
Registered
68 Posts
just installed some new hieght adjustment skids and after only one week they are completly worn out. I do snow removal for about 9 properties and this past week we had two blizzards plus I do have 10-15lbs extra wieght in the front. 95 craftman 8p 24". Does this mean I will be having to buy new skids every week? I don't get it I just don't understand how they can only last a week.
probably a weight issue . i would rig up a "quick on/off" weight bar so you only need it on the selected areas that your blowing off.

·
Registered
91 Posts
What I did was I bought a small box of hard weld welding rods, brought them to a friend who has an arc welder, and had him weld a bead of the hardweld on the bottom of the shoes and the scraper blade. That was 8 years ago. I was going thru a pair of shoes every year.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The skid wheel looks neat but I bet that would last as long as any other metal skid which in my case would not be very long. I'm going to have a friend weld some thick metal onto the skid like indypower suggested.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Poly Skid Shoes Wear Better Than Steel

I would recommend poly shoes instead of steel. UHMW polyethylene wears up to 15 times better than steel on concrete and doesn't rust either. I machined some out of solid poly bar for my machine. They can be seen at the following link.

Magnitude Engineering

1 - 10 of 10 Posts