Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, i'm Butch from IL. Glad to find this site!
I've been retired now for 2 years from an engineering job.
I opened a small repair business just to have a challenge in life.
The short story, I bought out another guy's older inventory of snowblowers (26 machines) last year and ended up fixing them all and selling them to my friends and neighbors. Now I'm hooked on them! I find it a lot of fun, figuring out how to make them run. Of course I kept the first one I fixed, a Toro S-140 from 1979. I even named it, "mini-me". It goes through deep snow and plowed snow almost as good as my 11.5HP 28" Craftsman.
Please feel free to ask me any repair questions. I may not know the answer, but I do know how to find most solutions.
Since last year, I've successfully repaired more than 250 snowblowers of just about every make. Some were so simple, I was amazed how many dealers had told the owners "it isn't worth fixing".
At the same time I've made great relationships with many of my local dealers who are more than willing to share repair advice.

p.s. yeah, that is crazy old me at the race track in my avatar.......

·
Premium Member
161 Posts
Welcome Butch!! Sounds like you have quite the retirement activity going there. Actually fixing 250 snow blowers sounds like a full time job.

I retired a little over 3 years ago and like to do all my own repairs, and usually get hooked into repairs for family and friends on a variety of equipment. Will be nice to have you and others around on the forum when I get stuck.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thx.
Not even close to a full time job. I've done as many as 10 machines in one day an still made it to happy hour!
I really got lucky to have hooked up with a couple other retired guys who started a livestock shipping crate building business. They needed a part time builder so I went to work for them doing about 10 hours a week. Next thing you know, they hand me a key to the shop and invite me to use it for my business. 6000 square foot heated warehouse with an epoxy floor! Now I do work for them to pay my share of the rent and still have time to work on my stuff. We're moving in Jan to a bigger building for way less rent and they even told me I get to have the 2000 sq. ft. mezzanine just for my business.
I wish I would have done this years ago! I'm having so much fun working it seems more like play.:D

·
Retired Moderator
3,149 Posts
Welcome Butch! We'll look forward to the information you have to share. "it isn't worth fixing" seems to be fairly common, :confused:but then, if they did fix them, there'd be less of them for us to tinker with.;)

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the shop

what do you think?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
161 Posts
Looks like you are off to a good start at the new shop. Also looks like you need to have a sale. :D

Shop looks great!!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
:D everything in the pictures is already sold......I had a good first year

I'm just off rt 34 and rt 30

·
Registered
68 Posts
i go right by there when i hit blains farm & fleet or harbor freight. I used to work on n.aurora ave.in nprville

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wow! go figure....hey you're welcome to stop by any time....just pm me for a number:D

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
QUite the place you got there!!!!!

I bet having that much room, you can realy stock up on blowers when the off season comes and people start pushing those almost new [ie...needs a carb rebuild] blowers to the curb!!!!!

·
Retired Moderator
3,149 Posts
You've definitely given cause for "garage envy" there Butch!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thx for the nice comments!
Those were pix from last fall. All machines were repaired and sold by Jan. 2010.
Now I'm finding very hard to find machines. The used prices have sky rocketed here. Go figure, I sell when prices were low.:(

In the back ground pic 3 and pic 4 you can see the livestock crates we build for overseas air shipments. We just completed 33 straight days building over 100 crates for cattle shipments going to Russia. A bunch of pregnant cows going to Kazakhstan to revive their herd that suffered from diseases that affect the cows ability to give birth. 3000 head being air freighted this year.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts