Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi All

Got this old girl here a few months ago, due to my back not being what it used to be.

Runs pretty good, but needs a tuneup and a new electric start.

The main auger bushing let go last week and thankfully was able to retrofit a newer bearing onto it and she's back to blowing snow. but would like to know if anyone has any idea of how old this thing is or if anyone actually knows a possible model number (sticker is worn down too much).

Got to adjust the main drive belt pulley (the one that pivots and engages the friction wheel) as if I snap my hand off the throttle now, it throws the belt. but happy to be here and lots to learn as this is my first snow blower.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,205 Posts
Welcome.to SBF. What brand blower? What size? Before anyone can help we need.a little more information.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Snapping your hand throws the belt?

Drag and drop your photo in the area below that is provided.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
images should be fixed now.

and sorry, as much as I know at the moment is its an MTD Snowflite 7hp 22inch. I'll grab the motor part number tonight, now that I know where to find it.

When I mean snap my hand, I mean I have the drive handle engaged and I just quickly release my hand allowing the handle to snap back to a stop position. Didn't do this before I changed the belt so I think its needs some adjusting on the cable.

but i'm pretty new to snowblowers so could be wrong, not new to fixing things though lol.

·
Retired Moderator
9,915 Posts
:welcome: to SBF sspaulding

The belt issue might be from a "finger" not being adjusted properly. Some machines have a metal finger on the front of the engine just below the drive pulley on the engine that's supposed to be positioned close to the belt so when the tension is off the belt it keeps the belt in the groove but isn't in the way or making contact when the tensioner is engaged.
You might not have one or your's might be missing or mis-adjusted. At this this point it's just a guess.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=tecumseh+belt+finger&t=chromentp&atb=v185-1&iax=images&ia=images

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Engine model number is h70-130242f

That's about all i've got at the moment, hoping to get an idea of a model number on it. From some google searches it looks very similar to the 315-580-000, with slight variances.

not even sure, what oil this thing takes :S

I've done the following so far

-replaced main propeller shaft bearing
-greased up all shafts on auger
-replaced "sheer" pins, with actual sheer pins
-replaced main drive belt.

Things I would like to do

-carb rebuild
-replace starter (want to test it first), could be something a stuck brush
-over all clean up of old oil in the belly pan
-new key kill switch

That's about it for now.

·
Retired Moderator
9,915 Posts
It depends a little on where you're located. You haven't yet added that to your profile.
You should be safe with a regular 5W30. Recommendations will be all over the place. Biggest thing IMHO is keeping it clean and fresh. They seem to get a fair amount of condensation in the engines depending on where you have them stored over the summer.
Myself I use a full synthetic, Mobil 0-40 from Walmart. I believe the full synthetic makes for an easier starting engine when it's really cold.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It depends a little on where you're located. You haven't yet added that to your profile.
You should be safe with a regular 5W30. Recommendations will be all over the place. Biggest thing IMHO is keeping it clean and fresh. They seem to get a fair amount of condensation in the engines depending on where you have them stored over the summer.
Myself I use a full synthetic, Mobil 0-40 from Walmart. I believe the full synthetic makes for an easier starting engine when it's really cold.

thanks for the tip. Got plenty of spare oil kicking around the garage.

I'm from Calgary, Alberta, Canada.

lots of temperature swings.

she's been starting pretty decently thankfully but some days take s a extra pulls to get her to go. but tbh, I really don't know how to properly start it.

Like should it be low throttle, open choke or mid throttle open choke?

·
Retired Moderator
9,915 Posts
Full throttle, full choke and one or two pumps of the primer if it's equipped. If the engine is slightly warm or it's not that cold, full throttle, full choke and just pull a couple times.
If it doesn't start then hit the primer once or twice and try again. Always easier to add a little more gas than try to un-flood :surprise:

·
Account closed by member request.
9,612 Posts
ALOHA From The Paradise City. :smiley-rpg027::smiley-rpg027::smiley-rpg027::smiley-rpg027::smiley-rpg027:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts