Snowblower Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Evening,

Since I am taking delivery of my new unit from Home Depot and I need to fill it with oil, I want to get it before hand.

Does Honda call for 5w-30 or 10w-30?

Thank you!

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
Some say to use regular oil for the break-in because synthetic is so slippery that the rings won't break in and seat. I disagree with this as at one time this was said about car engines and now synthetic is standard OEM from several manufacturers. I believe the rings will seat and I want the slipperiness and tge benefit of the rolling resistance of the synthetic oil.

Reactions: jherbicide

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
If you use synthetic, doesn't matter, if Dino then 5w30.

·
Premium GOT Member
8,226 Posts
I'm a big proponent of listening to the engineers that designed these engines.

When you buy a NEW Honda snowblower , Honda provides the oil. 5W-30 regular oil.
In my area we can use either 5 or 10W-30 because it very rarely gets below zero.

They also provide an owners manual which the new owner should read.
It answers most basic questions.

Oil questions have no win answers.

I listen to the guys who engineered these fabulous engines.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I was hoping they would include oil, but some of the reviews I read online indicates the oil was missing or 1 quart shy. I am trying to be proactive and think a head.

I'm a big proponent of listening to the engineers that designed these engines.

When you buy a NEW Honda snowblower , Honda provides the oil. 5W-30 regular oil.
In my area we can use either 5 or 10W-30 because it very rarely gets below zero.

They also provide an owners manual which the new owner should read.
It answers most basic questions.

Oil questions have no win answers.

I listen to the guys who engineered these fabulous engines.

·
Registered
415 Posts
you can use any brand of 5w30 you like, any type. i personally like to use the kawasaki full synthettic we carry at work because it contrains some zinc and is a full synthetic, but any high quality name brand oil is fine. 10w30 is more of a spring summer fall oil for temperature below 40 degrees you want a 5w30

·
Administrator
2,117 Posts
PERsonally, I like to run new engines in on dino... if nothing else it's generally cheaper and it may take a few changes to get the block flushed out good... every unit can vary, and you don't know what you've got until you fire it up and see.

In MI I'd stick to 5-30, yep... at least to begin with.

·
Administrator
2,117 Posts
What does the owner's manual say? One came with the new machine. Why would we know more than the manufacturer who made your machine?
To be fair... I'd say some of us have at least a 50-50 shot at doing better, especially these days. I think the manual looks good on paper, but years of real-world experience may at least supplement that information. In addition, local conditions/temperatures can play a role, as mentioned.

It never hurts to ask again if you're not sure. 🍻

1 - 20 of 40 Posts