Snowblower Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I bought a brand new Hss928atd last weekend from an out of town dealer. It was a 2 hour drive to go get it but i didnt have much choice since none of the local dealers had any in stock. Anyhow, i got it home and went to adjust the scraper bar and skid shoes and noticed the bucket sits 1/2 higher on the right side than the left. So in order to make the scraper bar parallel to the ground it has to be set at its lowest position on the right and highest position on the left. I did some reading on here and tried whats been recommended about loosening the 10 bolts that connect the auger housing to the tractor frame then rocking the unit around and re-tightening the bolts. (I have the shop manual so i re-torqued the bolts in the proper sequence). Didnt help and the auger housing is still 3/8" higher on the right than it is on the left. Called my local dealer and they dont seem real eager to help telling me i'll have to leave the unit with them for a couple weeks so they can diagnose it. In my opinion there's really nothing to diagnose....the auger housing must have been welded out of alignment. Anybody have any suggestions? Thanks.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I would suggest posting several pictures to help some of the folks diagnose the situation. Really sucks to pay good money and be disappointed.
You may have already done this but did you make sure the skids aren't interfering in anyway?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok got a couple pictures up. The scraper bar is adjusted with an even 1/8" gap all the way across the ground. These pics show how out of alignment the scraper bar has to be to acheive this. The right side of the auger housing is exactly 3/8" higher than the left. It was a 7/16" difference before i loosed the 10 auger housing bolts an re tightening....so doing that only gained 1/16".

Attachments

·
Registered
992 Posts
Ok got a couple pictures up. The scraper bar is adjusted with an even 1/8" gap all the way across the ground. These pics show how out of alignment the scraper bar has to be to acheive this. The right side of the auger housing is exactly 3/8" higher than the left. It was a 7/16" difference before i loosed the 10 auger housing bolts an re tightening....so doing that only gained 1/16".
Well, that's an idea:
Adjust the scraper bar to even the cut.
Why not?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've searched and searched for the past 3 days....does seem to be a common problem but other than loosening the 10 auger housing bolts then rocking the unit side to side before re-tightening there is no other info. Apparently the auger housing was welded up in a jig thats out of alignement. I guess i'm wondering if honda will warranty this and swap it for a new auger housing?...and if they do i'm wondering if the new housing will still be out of alignment.

Attachments

·
Premium GOT Member
10,457 Posts
I've searched and searched for the past 3 days....does seem to be a common problem but other than loosening the 10 auger housing bolts then rocking the unit side to side before re-tightening there is no other info. Apparently the auger housing was welded up in a jig thats out of alignement. I guess i'm wondering if honda will warranty this and swap it for a new auger housing?...and if they do i'm wondering if the new housing will still be out of alignment.
I think you are right about the jig. Have seen this problem before. @tabora spoke about this in another thread. You may have to call Honda corp to demand warranty work.

·
Registered
6,076 Posts
Anybody have any suggestions?
The right side of the auger housing is exactly 3/8" higher than the left. It was a 7/16" difference before i loosed the 10 auger housing bolts an re tightening....so doing that only gained 1/16".
Before you did the auger housing leveling steps, did you do the tractor leveling steps? You should check the tractor now to see whether it is level. Measure the front corners of the tractor to the concrete floor and compare. If not level, you have to loosen the track, track plate, etc. and level them.

Otherwise, your auger housing was welded crooked and should be replaced.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Before you did the auger housing leveling steps, did you do the tractor leveling steps? You should check the tractor now to see whether it is level. Measure the front corners of the tractor to the concrete floor and compare. If not level, you have to loosen the track, track plate, etc. and level them.

Otherwise, your auger housing was welded crooked and should be replaced.
I was hoping this was the solution. I checked the front corners of the tractor and they are perfectly even with the ground so no luck there. I guess i either live with it or see if i can get honda to replace the auger housing.

·
Registered
992 Posts
I was hoping this was the solution. I checked the front corners of the tractor and they are perfectly even with the ground so no luck there. I guess i either live with it or see if i can get honda to replace the auger housing.
Does your Honda dealer have access to a replacement with the widespread current supply woes we suffer? You 'll get a new one, maybe next spring.:oops:
So, it's not as easy as adjusting the scraper so it sits level in reference to the ground, rather than level with the machine?
Let me try another:
Y'know, some folks on this site (not me!) like to put big, heavy weight on the top of the bucket to "balance" them.
Likewise, you could get a big piece of steel to affix to the bucket and your bucket over time would fix itself!
I'm just standing outside the box here.
Get a 1/2" thick of steel, stick it where the bucket side skids should be. I see you have none.
Put a 1/4" thick piece on the other side and viola! You save your bucket sides and straightened the cut, all in one operation!
I keep pitchin' 'em. You just gotta hit one!.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Looking at your photos I think you need to set the auger height first, and then the scraper bar height. This is the information out of the manual.

Adjustment
1 Place the snow blower on a level surface.

2. Track-type models: Depress the auger height adjusting lever, push down on the handlebars to raise the auger off the ground and then slowly lower the auger until the skid shoes contact the ground.

Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Rectangle Gesture Font

3. Loosen the skid shoe bolts and adjust the skid shoes to obtain the auger ground clearance for snow conditions recommended below. Adjust the right and left skid shoes equally. Re-tighten the bolts.

4 After adjusting, raise the auger off the ground and then slowly lower and make sure both skid shoes contact the ground al the same time.

Rectangle Font Parallel Number Event

Operation on rough or uneven surfaces with less than the recommended auger ground clearance can damage the snow blower.

5. Check the scraper ground clearance and readjust if necessary.

Scraper Ground Clearance: 3/32 - 5/32 in. (2.0 - 4.0 mm)

Font Slope Parallel Circle Triangle

Adjust the scraper equally on both sides so that it remains parallel with the ground. Be sure Io tighten the scraper bar bolts and nuts after making adjustments.

TORQUE: Scraper Bar Bolts (2) 18.5 ft-lb (25.1 N-m) Nuts (5) 19.5 ft-lb (26.5 N-m)

I suppose another issue created by an out of alignment auger housing is that the auger will not sit parallel to the ground as it is mounted to the sides of the bucket. Try to see if Honda will come good on this alignment issue under warrantee so the auger rotates parallel to the ground and cleans evenly during operation.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Looking at your photos I think you need to set the auger height first, and then the scraper bar height. This is the information out of the manual.

Adjustment
1 Place the snow blower on a level surface.

2. Track-type models: Depress the auger height adjusting lever, push down on the handlebars to raise the auger off the ground and then slowly lower the auger until the skid shoes contact the ground.

View attachment 203436

3. Loosen the skid shoe bolts and adjust the skid shoes to obtain the auger ground clearance for snow conditions recommended below. Adjust the right and left skid shoes equally. Re-tighten the bolts.

4 After adjusting, raise the auger off the ground and then slowly lower and make sure both skid shoes contact the ground al the same time.

View attachment 203438

Operation on rough or uneven surfaces with less than the recommended auger ground clearance can damage the snow blower.

5. Check the scraper ground clearance and readjust if necessary.

Scraper Ground Clearance: 3/32 - 5/32 in. (2.0 - 4.0 mm)

View attachment 203439

Adjust the scraper equally on both sides so that it remains parallel with the ground. Be sure Io tighten the scraper bar bolts and nuts after making adjustments.

TORQUE: Scraper Bar Bolts (2) 18.5 ft-lb (25.1 N-m) Nuts (5) 19.5 ft-lb (26.5 N-m)

I suppose another issue created by an out of alignment auger housing is that the auger will not sit parallel to the ground as it is mounted to the sides of the bucket. Try to see if Honda will come good on this alignment issue under warrantee so the auger rotates parallel to the ground and cleans evenly during operation.
Hm. A thought occurs.
What if you use the side skid shoe to make the clearance under the augur measurement and rear skid shoe to make the clearance under the scraper bar ?
and,
Adjust the scraper equally on both sides so that it remains parallel with the ground.
In this instance, the scraper would not be adjusted equally. It should be adjusted unequally so that it remains parallel with the ground, accounting for the bucket offset problem.

·
Premium GOT Member
10,457 Posts
[/QUOTE
This is a KNOWN issue to Honda. Of course the dealer doesnt want to deal with it. You'll have to send picture evidence to Honda corp. Talk tough.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hm. A thought occurs.
What if you use the side skid shoe to make the clearance under the augur measurement and rear skid shoe to make the clearance under the scraper bar ?
and,
Adjust the scraper equally on both sides so that it remains parallel with the ground.
In this instance, the scraper would not be adjusted equally. It should be adjusted unequally so that it remains parallel with the ground, accounting for the bucket offset problem.
This is how i have it set up. The skid shoes contact the ground first and the scraper is set up with an even 1/8" gap to the floor. The unit should work ok like this but in doing this the scraper is uneven with the auger housing.

Its just irritating to me that it must be set up like this. If the auger housing was even then the scraper would be able to align evenly with the auger housing and still be even with the ground.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well i've now spent hours messing with the unit. Without a doubt the auger housing is out of alignment by 3/8" due to something being off when manufactured. Since the dealer i bought it from is 2 hours away i'm gonna try taking it in to my local dealer and see how far i get as they didnt seem very willing to help on the phone. Its amazing to me that Honda doesnt check for this before these units leave the factory. Or maybe they do and this is within their acceptable variance? Hard to believe if it is.

·
Registered
992 Posts
This is how i have it set up. The skid shoes contact the ground first and the scraper is set up with an even 1/8" gap to the floor. The unit should work ok like this but in doing this the scraper is uneven with the auger housing.

Its just irritating to me that it must be set up like this. If the auger housing was even then the scraper would be able to align evenly with the auger housing and still be even with the ground.
Absolutely agree.👍\
You're not the first who have similar experiences, right here, within this site.
Hold on: The lower-set edge of the scraper bar would tend to catch on things, wouldn't it?
As you say, it is irritating.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
No, i have it set up so that the scraper bar is even with the ground but uneven with the auger housing so it shouldnt catch on the ground. The auger itself is uneven with the ground since its mounted directly to the housing and there is no way to adjust it. Dropped it off at the dealer today so now i wait....they need a week or two to "diagnose it"

1 - 20 of 40 Posts