Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been running an Ariens for the past 30 or so years, my present machine is a ST1032, now this machine has been a workhorse but either I rebuild it again or think about a new one. I go through this every year and just end up fixing my machine. Yesterday I shoveled four and a half feet of snow off of the roof and the Ariens moved it without a hitch but the engine is getting kind of tired, I don't mind working on it but its not exactly a hobby for me and unless I go get the trailer and haul it to the shop I'm usually fixing it in ten degree weather. My question is this either the new Ariens Rapid track or the Honda: HSS1332ATD, I do have a relatively steep driveway and the machine has to be able to handle cement hard snow after its been pushed off of the roof. I just look at these new machines and wonder if they will hold up.

·
Registered
222 Posts
If you don't want to rebuild, you could re-power with a Predator motor. Ariens and Honda are quality companies as you know. If money is not an issue I would go with the Honda. Don't know of anyone that hates their Honda. There is a youtube video of a guy with a Ariens 28 deluxe who is not a fan of it. He claims the Ariens rides up in deep snow instead of cutting throught it. He put a 21 lbs weight on the front and claimed it did not help.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Weclome to SBF!

Treating the engine to a clean combustion area, valve job (lapping, resetting the lash), carb rebuild and a new head gasket (and head dressing) may be all that's needed.

It can literally be done for < $25 ($40 if you need a lapping dowel & compound) and completed in an afternoon. I'd probably throw-in some new fuel line as well.

I know misery loves company so here it goes: my garage was 15 degrees yesterday and I did this on my neighbor's machine. :smile_big:

·
Banned
2,029 Posts
here is my 924044 i predator swapped. i actually found the 420cc for 180 brand new on ebay, added led lights front and rear, battery horns, impeller kit and weight bar. most importantly this thing is an absolute beast in the snow and throws it far and has more power then ill ever need. this year im thinking about adding a tall chute

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
exactly what do u mean to rebuild?
and every year?
A few years ago I had to have the front augers welded up because they had come apart, last year the slip clutch and most of the drive gears. The belts usually go every couple of years, the wheel bearings hub lockouts have been replaced three or four times, chute cable every three or four years($60 a pop) and a good greasing a couple of times a year, now the front end needs to be done up(front bearings) plus the carb rebuild. I guess its not a rebuild but when do you throw in the towel. I just don't want to regret getting rid of this machine for something that was designed to be disposable( allot of plastic). If I could get my hands on another used st1032 that had a good front end I would keep this one.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just an update, its was a brutal January (total 111") and February will also break some records, I decided it was time to upgrade the old 1032 with the new rapid track 32 pro.There's not allot of these machines left in the state but the regional rep found one for me down state. So after picking it up yesterday I did my third roof shoveling of the year, this thing really is a beast, I am impressed, the track system took me a little while to get the hang of but once you get it figured out it really does work well, I just hope it holds up as long as the old 1032 did.

Sorry no pics of the new machine but here's a shot of the driveway

1 - 7 of 7 Posts