Snowblower Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to replace my Yardman, 7hp, 24” snowblower. Looking at a new Toro 928 OE or a 2010 Honda HS928. Prices are very similar. Advice?

·
2,394 Posts
welcome to the SBF

toro owner and former dealer here , seriously both are great machines, just one may just be a bit easier to get fixed or find parts for depending on where you live

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. The biggest difference is the transmission. How much better is a hydrostatic transmission?

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
I have no idea how the honda transmissions are made or how they are designed.
Is the yardman tired and lacking power?? It may just need some time in the snow blower hospital.

You may want to hold on to it and use it as a back up machine as you can never have enough snow blowers.

On the Toro its a Rubber drive tire that contacts the steel V belt pulley disc like your current snow blower; simple, dumb and easy to fix if know how to change V belts. You do not get into the hydrostatic transmissions on the Toro snow blowers until you start drooling at the 2020 model year 1428 and 1432 track drive units.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Welcome aboard. How old is your yardman? Regarding consumer grade hydrostats, they are made to a price point and are usually not easily servicable. I used to do a lot of work with Hydro-Gear and they were once the king of this market. Their big advantage is speed selection. The classic friction drive while only having say six forward speeds and perhaps two reverse, is easily serviced and will give many years of life with only routine maintenance. HTH.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
ClutchCargo - that supports many of our member's feelings. Hydrostat transmissions sounds nice. but it hard to beat the easy to service, and cheap to service friction disc.

·
Premium Member
1,417 Posts
I'll cast a vote for the new Toro. The joystick chute control is a big plus.

Reactions: Pete826

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ClutchCargo - that supports many of our member's feelings. Hydrostat transmissions sounds nice. but it hard to beat the easy to service, and cheap to service friction disc.
I understand the potential repair issues. That's why I'm considering the Honda. supposed to be bullet proof. With my current machine I'm always struggling with the speed, seems either too fast or too slow.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
If your snow mule is like everyone else's slowing down the snow blower requires a simple adjustment on the hex bolt by unscrewing the set screw that holds the hex sleeve in place and sliding it inward to force the drive tire to come closer to the center of the drive pulley. The reverse speed will be slower as well once you do that.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
leonz - I thought that when you adjust the drive tire to be closer to the middle, essentially slowing down the forward speed, you will end up speeding up the reverse speed on the snow mule.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Whoopsie, your right I had that backwards so by pushing it out further will slow it down in both forward and reverse 😰.

The larger the diameter of a circle means a slower orbit speed for the drive tire if the drive tire is at the maximum orbit diameter.

Poor Pluto having been relegated to minor planetoid/iceball status is something it should not have been demoted to darn it.

The red 1960's yardman my father had was a single speed in forward and reverse.

I am currently suffering from lack of snowitus :^0

·
Super Moderator
10,821 Posts
Welcome to SBF Rob

Up in my head I'd have to know how mechanically inclined you are and if you got the Honda would you start going through the maintenance steps and at some point change out the fluid in the drive. If these weren't DIY items you could do in the garage than the Toro is surely the better way to go. Honda is very reliable but anything 10 yrs old is going to need some attention and it's previous maintenance is what will determine it's reliability and longevity for you.
I'm normally not keen on people posting duplicate threads but in this case you might want to ask this again in the Honda section as some of our regulars don't always venture into "New Member" as it's usually just a first post hello stop.
Those guys would be better equipped to advise you on a 10 yr old hydro drive and what to expect. Also more importantly what to look for when going to check it out.
Either way you're going to have a nice machine (Including the Ariens Platinum).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Welcome to SBF Rob View attachment 172645

Up in my head I'd have to know how mechanically inclined you are and if you got the Honda would you start going through the maintenance steps and at some point change out the fluid in the drive. If these weren't DIY items you could do in the garage than the Toro is surely the better way to go. Honda is very reliable but anything 10 yrs old is going to need some attention and it's previous maintenance is what will determine it's reliability and longevity for you.
I'm normally not keen on people posting duplicate threads but in this case you might want to ask this again in the Honda section as some of our regulars don't always venture into "New Member" as it's usually just a first post hello stop.
Those guys would be better equipped to advise you on a 10 yr old hydro drive and what to expect. Also more importantly what to look for when going to check it out.
Either way you're going to have a nice machine (Including the Ariens Platinum).

Thank you. Very inclined to do any repair that I can find some instructions or help with, so that's not a concern. I'll take your advice and post something on the Honda section. biggest challenge is knowing the actual condition of anything used.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Once you go Hydro you never go back :). The Honda HS hydros are bulletrproof. Some of them have been in service for 30 years without any issue and its a no service item i.e. just check the fluid level to make sure its at proper level and you are good, no need to change it etc.

Age isnt as important to me as the actual condition of the machine. I have seen 5 year old machines that could pass for 30 years old as they were beaten up on commercially. See if you can find a machine that was used for paved driveways rather than unpaved/gravel ones.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts