Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a new member ,found the site while researching my old blower, and well most likely have a few question's regarding it.
I have an old SnowBird S-262 that I had bought back in 1968 used, and it has moved many tons of snow as I live in Northern NY state up near the Canadian border. It has not been ran in close to 15 yr's but was stored in basement at home for the period and occasionaly I would give the cord a pull or 2 to keep it from setting up. Well The other day I thought that I may try to get it operational again. Yesterday I took carb off and cleaned it than took tank and line off to clean, had some minor rust in tank, rinsed with clean kerosene and added some marble's to loosen up the rust ,shook it up good and then re-rinsed with clean Kerosene, and sat aside to dry out
cleaned settling bowl ,so that part of the system should be ready to go.
Changed plug and grounded it but don't seem to be any spark showing when cranking, I had polished up mag so that should not be the problem
have to check the plug wire and coil for trouble. maybe today will get to it.
Years ago I picked up a S-263 for a parts machine, no motor or wheels but many usable parts . will post more as it happens.

·
Super Moderator
6,670 Posts
hello jimbear, welcome to SBF!! good luck with your restoration

·
Registered
407 Posts
Welcome aboard Jim! Sounds like you been around small engines some over the years and looking forward to your interaction here. Good group of folks here. It gets more busy here as winter approaches. As far as Snow-bird issue I'm not of much help. Is that old enough that it used points? if so then I'd clean the point contacts and re-gap. install new condenser if can be bought. I really am not the guy to go by though so someone will chim in.

·
Premium Member
729 Posts
Welcome aboard Jim. Please keep us updated and include some photo's to please.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum jimbear. Could you post the model and type code from your motor so we know how to help you? I would GUESS that it is a cast iron Briggs engine with a points ignition system. If it is, here is a link to the service manual for that motor. I hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
5,205 Posts
Welcome jimbear.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Welcome.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hello and welcome to the forum jimbear. Could you post the model and type code from your motor so we know how to help you? I would GUESS that it is a cast iron Briggs engine with a points ignition system. If it is, here is a link to the service manual for that motor. I hope this helps.

motor type 013901
model 14302
serial 341782
Pulled flywheel points look good ,no corrosion
polished mag on fly wheel, some surface rust
cleaned coil, lot of build up on contact surface, cleaned that off
have to re-assemble unit to check out the spark, maybe today
Thanks for the link that will help

·
Retired Moderator
4,160 Posts
Make sure nothing chewed through the coil wire or the shutoff switch wire while you have things apart.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I re-assembled the motor and got things cleaned up. Have the motor off of
the frame for cleaning, I am getting spark at the plug now when I turn the flywheel by hand quickly, have the recoil for cleaning now , so the "old Girl" is showing sign's of life!!!
Now the next question I have is what kind of gas should be used??
regular un-leaded ,or premium. Non-Alcohol 91 octane is available here??
back in the day when I used this machine I used leaded gas when available
and when that became un-available I used a lead additive "Stead of Lead"
was the brand I used then. Knowing the problems that this "corn" gas has
caused with small motor's, I am leery of using it in the old motor.
What type of oil should be used here, In past I used either a straight 30 weight non-detergent and when I could find it 40 weight was used, needless to say this machine was kept in a warmer storage area.
Any ideas???

·
Account closed by member request.
9,612 Posts
use the non oxy gas if you can find it. or just 87 at your local pump and munch. use 10w 30 motor oil you can choose the brand flavor.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
got the old girl up and running yesterday after a series of re-starts
had spark after re-assembling the carb and de-greasing the motor, installed it on unit, primed with a shot of starting fluid and it fired up, but when I put tank on and added fuel, nothing. Yesterday I took motor off again and re-checked everything under the flywheel and again had spark, re-assembled and remounted to frame and primed it and it fired, turned the gas on and choked it and 3 pulls it took off running just like it did many year's ago.
Put the rest of things back and started up and all systems "GO" , almost want to stay home this winter to try it out in the white stuff, Yeah Right!!! Most likely will get
the chance to use it B4 heading south for winter as we quite often get snow late October or early November. Next thing to do is think about what to do about doing a good clean up and re-painting of the whole unit

1 - 15 of 15 Posts