Snowblower Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, new member here. I've recently moved back to the northeast and I'm tired of shoveling snow. I've never owned a blower but I consider myself mechanically inclined. I recently grabbed a Honda HS621 for 125$ and I made a few minor repairs; mainly annual preventative maintenance items and it runs well. I'm looking at picking up a quality 2 stage for a good price. I'm looking at a few Ariens ST824's. What is the overall consensus on this model and are parts readily available? I think I will be able to grab one for 250$ that is in good condition. Does this sound like a good deal or are these machines too old and obsolete?

·
Registered
Smoke 'em if you got 'em
767 Posts
Welcome aboard, glad to have you here.
To get better info on a potential purchase please give as much info as possible, if you can get a model number, serial number, and some pix you will get the best responses.

·
Premium GOT Member
9,694 Posts
Hello all, new member here. I've recently moved back to the northeast and I'm tired of shoveling snow. I've never owned a blower but I consider myself mechanically inclined. I recently grabbed a Honda HS621 for 125$ and I made a few minor repairs; mainly annual preventative maintenance items and it runs well. I'm looking at picking up a quality 2 stage for a good price. I'm looking at a few Ariens ST824's. What is the overall consensus on this model and are parts readily available? I think I will be able to grab one for 250$ that is in good condition. Does this sound like a good deal or are these machines too old and obsolete?
Come to the all expenses paid for 2 to the Annual Snowblower Convention in Las Vegas this July and we'll set you up.

·
Premium Member
2,473 Posts
Welcome to the forum, maybe we will see you at the convention:cool:.

As mentioned above, photos and more details are really needed to give an informed opinion on any particular machine. The condition and how well it has been maintained are often more important than age when considering a machine.

What part of the NE do you now call home.
What is the usual type of snow (powder or heavy wet slop)?
What is annual snow fall amount, do you often get big storms, with 12" or more?
How big is your driveway, paved or gravel, flat or sloped?
Do you have a budget for the 2 stage machine?

·
Premium GOT Member
9,694 Posts
Welcome to the forum, maybe we will see you at the convention:cool:.

As mentioned above, photos and more details are really needed to give an informed opinion on any particular machine. The condition and how well it has been maintained are often more important than age when considering a machine.

What part of the NE do you now call home.
What is the usual type of snow (powder or heavy wet slop)?
What is annual snow fall amount, do you often get big storms, with 12" or more?
How big is your driveway, paved or gravel, flat or sloped?
Do you have a budget for the 2 stage machine?
These questions and more should be required reading before a new member poses their question. But we keep on answering their questions with these questions time and time again.

This will be addressed at convention..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've arranged to go look at one this weekend, so I don't have much info yet. Annual snowfall averages 28 inches. My driveway is sloped down, probably 50 ft and paved. From my experience I'd say the snow is generally powdery. Home is coastal Connecticut. Budget for a 2 stage.....I'd rather not go over 500. As mentioned earlier, I have a single stage already but I'd like a bigger one for when we get hit with the nasty storms that dump a foot or more at a time. As far as the convention....not just yet.

·
Premium GOT Member
9,694 Posts
You are one of the smart ones looking this time of year. If you have patience you should find an excellent Ariens or Honda for 500 or less.

Look for OLD people moving or upgrading.
Older guys usually take great care of their stuff and have a pro look after it.

Can't speak for Ariens but an older tracked HS624 or HS724 may be the ticket. All parts are available. They are medium size machines, lighter and easier to use than the big boys.
Saying you are mechanical is a plus. These are easy to work on. And you would be surprised that there are some really great machines out there with low hours.

I have a HS624 that I bought 10 years plus ago for 500 and it still looks like new. Could sell next winter for $1200 around here easily.
So Honda's hold their value or in this case appreciate in value.

Mine has wheels. My drive is slightly sloped.
Wheel Tire Motor vehicle Automotive tire Tread

·
Registered
531 Posts
Welcome aboard... but you 'aint gonna' like it here,

...the folks here are grumpy, have no sense of humor, don't like good music and do not understand sarcasm....(LOL)
:p ;):cool:o_O:LOL::ROFLMAO:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts