Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,
Just saying hi for the first time here. Recently joined. I'm on here because I inherited this old (1966-1968) Ariens 4 hp snow-thrower from a friend. It still runs alright but seriously needs new traction. I also have a 4 yr old 5 hp (I think) Craftsman single stage blower I use at my mom's house. It runs fine.

I did install a 48" rear mount attach plow onto my tractor and that works great for up to 12" of medium weight snow but for heavier stuff it's just too heavy. It's really quick compared to a snow-thrower, if it can push the snow.

I'm taking it on as a hobby to work on this old Ariens snow-thrower so that's why I'm here.

Nice to meet y'all,
plowman

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. We're in Connecticut. It's just a horrible winter this year... I think the compression on the old Ariens gave out last night. I'll try starting it one last time and see how she fares. Thinking about bolting on a new engine.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Welcome to the forums. I am fairly new as well and also reside in CT. I also decided to replace my 4 hp Ariens Tecumseh with a new B&S after the rings went bad, even though it still runs. I choose the model# 12A113-0138. It is sitting in the box waiting for me to install it. It should be an easy replacement, I understand the new base is thicker, so I will have to knock out the base studs and put in new bolts which are a little longer (1 1/2"). Some people have to move the chute rod as well to clear the engine side, no biggie.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey oneacer! I'm 2 weeks behind you! I just ordered a B&S 1150 Intek (7.5 hp) with electric start! I'm so excited because the old engine never started easy, never ran right (required 1/2 choke to run) and smelled like fuel (leaks). I hope it's an easy replacement. I'm going to pull off the old engine and move the chute rod in anticipation of the engine. Are you anywhere near Manchester ? We're near Manchester

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Hi Plowman, I live in Newington, next to Indian Hill Golf Course, small world. I also went with the electric start, as my wife will be using this mostly. (Soon as I give her lessons :)) I have an older Yardman model 7100-2 that I still use mainly. Still runs great with the original plug in it. Use to be my dads, from I believe around late 60's, or 1970? Years ago I changed the tires on all my machines (2 Ariens, 1 Yardman) to pneumatic snow hog tread tires. Never liked chains on lawn tires.

BTW, great site here, glad we found it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I live within 5 minutes (easy) of Tallwood Country Club... This old Ariens is my backup backup, sort of. I have a 26 hp Craftsman tractor with a high traction (rear attach) snowplow that I use primarily and at my mom's place there's a single stage Craftsman 5 hp snowblower. But I'd like to have this thing up and going just in case. Call it insurance. I hope to upgrade the tires this spring/summer too. So, right behind ya.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts