Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Platinum 24 SHO arrived from SBD on Monday. It took me about an hour to hook up everything, check the oils and adjust the chute deflector. I filled it with gas and it started on the first pull.
I ran it around my gravel drive a bit and I have zero issue with the turning.

I read the thread here about the gunk in the gas tank and looked. There were metal shavings in there. I used a magnet out of a hard drive on a stick and gathered as much as I could. I will remove the tank and flush once it warms up.

I ran it today after a solid 6 inch snow and it worked great! I did most of the blowing in 4th and it hardly even chugged. I'm quite pleased, except the metal shavings.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
i would send those pics off to ariens and voice your concerns. those "filings" should not be in the fuel system.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Wow, that is a lot of metal in a new machine gas tank ....
Agreed and it was probably in there when they formed the tank because it shouldn't have made it past the inlet screen.

Have you checked your fuel container in a similar fashion? Yes, it's a long shot for sure but I wonder if something else is going on.

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Where have we heard this before?

·
Registered
221 Posts
I started a post on one of the other threads on here about this issue but somehow I lost my message when i posted.
I would drain all the gas. Use an oil suction device such as a LiquiVac or other fluid extractor.
Pour a couple of cups of clean gas into the tank and prop the blower up so the gas moves all the metal shavings into a corner of the tank.
Use the LiquiVac to suck the contaminated gas out.
Rinse and repeat until you are satisfied.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I started a post on one of the other threads on here about this issue but somehow I lost my message when i posted.
I would drain all the gas. Use an oil suction device such as a LiquiVac or other fluid extractor.
Pour a couple of cups of clean gas into the tank and prop the blower up so the gas moves all the metal shavings into a corner of the tank.
Use the LiquiVac to suck the contaminated gas out.
Rinse and repeat until you are satisfied.
That's a lot of work to have to do to a new machine. I'd take it back to the dealer and say fix it or give me my money back, or pick something else.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Deluxe 28" SHO with metal filings in the gas tank - placed a rare earth magnet on the outside underneath corner of the gas tank and gently sloshed the gas back and forth - no more filings moving around. Those neodymium magnets are so strong that none of those filings will break loose. I'll give it a proper cleaning after the season is over. I saw that another member commented that he dropped one of those magnets into the tank - that will work but it would be a bear to get back out!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Probably does not make any difference if the magnet is on the outside or inside. If the magnet inside my tank attracts a significant amount of filings, I will take it to the dealer and they can replace the tank under warranty...magnet and all.

If it is on the outside and you remove it, the filings that were attracted will float around without the magnetic attraction. Another case of tank warranty replacement.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I did contact Ariens and this is what was said:

Thank you for contacting Ariens Company. We appreciate the feedback from what you found inside your gas tank. I will certainly pass this information over to production. If you start to experience any running issues, I would contact your local servicing dealership (link at bottom of email). There is a filter screen at the pickup line in the bottom of the fuel tank that should catch foreign particles. Again, thank you for the photos and the feedback on your machine.
I will clean the tank once it warms up a bit as for now, I'll put a magnet on the outside to attract any metal debris.

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
I did contact Ariens and this is what was said:

I will clean the tank once it warms up a bit as for now, I'll put a magnet on the outside to attract any metal debris.
So essentially, Ariens is taking a wait-and-see approach.

If anyone finds metal particles beyond the tank (downstream of the filter screen at the bottom of the tank), like in the carburetor bowl, that would be important information. That would show that it's getting through the tank's filter.

Even if they don't get through that filter now, the shavings still make me uncomfortable. It seems reasonable to think that they will rust, and those rust bits might be able to get through the filter. They at least won't do you any favors.

Hopefully a magnet will help contain and remove the shavings.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
I had a small amount in one of my machines. But it wasn't anything like those pictures showed earlier this week. I suctioned the crap out and that was the end of it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi all. I have been following this thread as I too have a new 24 platinum bought 12/30/17. I checked mine and yes I too have metal in my tank. I sent an email to ariens yesterday but haven't received a response yet. I did see the response that ariens sent to mal. A few questions on their response. They didn't indicate if a case was going to be opened. They didn't indicate what course of action to take, other than wait to see if there's a problem down the road. I just contacted my dealer and they said they haven't seen this problem. He asked me how I found the problem. I told him about this site and said there were multiple posts on this problem. He said he would talk to the mechanics on Monday and get back to me. I'm going to insist that a ticket be sent to ariens in case something shows up post warranty. I'm not going to mess with this myself. Any flushing of the tank or removing debris will be done at the dealer. I think that the reason this is not widespread is that most buyers just don't know about the problem. If I didn't find this forum I certainly would not have any clue there was a problem on a brand new machine. Any potential problems would probably be blamed on bad fuel or carb issues that aren't covered under warranty. Thanks to all who posted and provided valuable info. Steve

·
Registered
46 Posts
Because of several posts on here regarding shavings in the gas tank, I checked my Plat 24 last night. Beyond this forum, I would never have done that. In any event, I didn't see anything alarming in my tank, certainly not like the pics I've seen here. It looked like the inside of my tank has some slight surface scratches in a couple areas, but I saw nothing in the way of shavings.

Given this, I didn't know about the "screen" mentioned above and I may take a closer look come spring. The outside magnet is a good idea as well.

I wonder if there is a geographic commonality with this issue. If it was really widespread, I would think dealers would be well aware of the issue as well as Ariens (i.e. autoturn, etc.).

1 - 20 of 30 Posts