Snowblower Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
879 Posts
I would grab the 212cc version soon. Especially if you find them on the clearance rack. I'm fairly sure the change in hp and cc are more to facilitate a price increase than they are to answer any customer demand. I mean seriously, is 12cc going to be a detectable difference?

A snow version would have been nice.

·
Registered
4,228 Posts

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
any deals yet on the 212s? I see they are $149

·
Premium Member
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
any deals yet on the 212s? I see they are $149
I noticed the HF price has gone up after being $120 for so long. I would be very surprised if they will mark anything down but they may have a 10% or some % off coupon. Although the Preditor has been excluded from coupon use in recent years. I would bet the new 6.6 HP Engine will be priced another 30 or $40 more. So grab a 212 if you think you will be doing a repower anytime soon. It would make perfect sense to phase out the 212cc.. From the picture it does not look like the Hemi. I am judging this by the shape of the valve cover.

The .1 increase in HP seems insignificant at first blush (1.5% increase) but I would like to see it's Torque curve. LCT makes a 223cc snow engine (used on Ariens Compact 24) that is speced at 9.9 ft-lbs of torque at 3150 RPM. The current Preditor 212cc is 8.1 Ft. Lbs at 2500RPM. It may very well be a noticeable improvement as that is a 22% increase in torque.. We will have to wait and see when more info comes out on it.

·
Premium Member
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
FYI...........I was at HF today and the 212cc engine is on sale for $129.99.

Reactions: Auger1

·
Registered
628 Posts
Watch this video, take a notice that the 212 comes with a jet kit for different altitude. Anyone ever get any jets with their 212cc engine? I know neither of mine did.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I have 2 Champion made blowers (22") both with the 224cc, I run them at 3800 and neither is a slouch. It's been a while since I checked the specs, (going from memory) I believe they're the same stroke as the 212 but a 2mm bigger bore.

·
Premium Member
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have 2 Champion made blowers (22") both with the 224cc, I run them at 3800 and neither is a slouch. It's been a while since I checked the specs, (going from memory) I believe they're the same stroke as the 212 but a 2mm bigger bore.
How old are the 2 blowers? You are saying this is not a new engine. It has been out there under a Champion brand. Just new to HF with the Predator brand?

·
Registered
508 Posts
I dont have an engine pic handy but I'll try to get one on here for you tomorrow morning. It looks to be identical to the 224 pic in your first post.

·
Registered
628 Posts
I went to Champions web site and it looks like they don't sell that engine anymore, says "no sellers found" Maybe HF bought the rights to that engine.

·
Registered
508 Posts
looks like they don't sell that engine anymore, says "no sellers found"
I am unaware if they sell the engine on its own or not? I do see their snowblower page wont come up, maybe they're done with them?
They do use that 224 in quite a few different products, (log splitters/generators/chippers/power washers).

Here are those pics I mentioned Toro...

Green Light Motor vehicle Automotive tire Gas

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Hood Watercraft

Green Motor vehicle Automotive tire Product Automotive design

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
here's a good comparison video of the 212cc vs the 224cc. More torque due to 3mm longer stroke. Also a few block improvements.

·
Premium Member
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Paul M that was a good video. Lots of objective info. Thanks for sharing. I laughed when he said the Red color adds more power! I would not run out and replace my current predator for this one but if it starts to show signs of tiring I would replace it with the 224. The only question these guys leave you with is the reliability because it uses the plastic cam gear. The 212 uses a steel gear. If it is the same internal design as the Champion then based on Sledman's comments it should be a winner.

·
Registered
508 Posts
58 mm stroke...I like that. I'm not positive but I recall the Champ stroke being 55 with a 72 mm bore. If Princess Auto ever offers their line up with one (at the right price) I'd be tempted to snap one up to have 'on the ready'.

·
Registered
964 Posts
before the Predator engine they had the Greyhound engines. I used quite a few of them with zero issues.
I have the 11hp electric start greyhound on my 82 Cub Cadet and it has been flawless for over 12 years.
When they were changing over to the predator I bought 5 of them online when they were blowing them out for 65 dollars.
and only paid 6 or 6.99 shipping total for all 5 of them. Over the years i have used 4 of them and still have on new in the box.

·
Registered
628 Posts
before the Predator engine they had the Greyhound engines. I used quite a few of them with zero issues.
I have the 11hp electric start greyhound on my 82 Cub Cadet and it has been flawless for over 12 years.
When they were changing over to the predator I bought 5 of them online when they were blowing them out for 65 dollars.
and only paid 6 or 6.99 shipping total for all 5 of them. Over the years i have used 4 of them and still have on new in the box.
I bought a grayhound engine, it snapped the crank after 5 hours of use. I have 2 predator engines one in use and one still in the box. The one I have that I put on an older Ariens runs well when I can get it started.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts