Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a Sno-Tek 24, and got it assembled. I started it to make sure it ran, and it started moving right away. I wasn't holding down any of the levers, just started it.

Is it supposed to move when I'm not holding down the traction drive clutch lever? This is my first 2 stage snowblower (my previous was a Toro single stage). I thought it wouldn't start moving until I engaged the lever.

Thanks, and sorry for the dumb question.

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Don't think it should move until you depress the lever. You need to release some tension on the cable. There should be an adjustment near the belt drive unless it's hydrostatic . Either way you will need to adjust the cable.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I just figured that out. The cable was ridiculously tight, so I loosened it, and everything is good now.

Anything else I should know, look for, etc?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Welcome to the forum lunchbox, you should check that everything operated as it should ie: auger and impeller as you probably already know.
You have to break in your engine with under load use then after 5 hrs change the oil and if you want the best oil put 5w-30 synthetic.
You will see during this winter if you encounter real wet and slushy snow, the chute might get clogged and this is due to the space gap between the impeller end and the housing sometimes varying between 1/4" or slightly more. If you get tired of the clogging you might consider a Clarence impeller kit or you might build your own as some members have done here. SNOWBLOWER IMPELLER KIT
With this kit = no more clogging and throw your snow farther.
Good Luck

·
Retired Moderator
4,160 Posts
Were you the one that over tightened the cable or was it like that when you pulled it out of the box? I would think they should be set from the factory so make sure nothing got bent or misaligned in transit. If you had to unfold the handles make sure the cable didn't get caught somewhere.

As for the possibility of clogging, never stick your hand down the chute or through the front. As you have just seen when the engine is running any malfunction can engaged the auger. Also, even with the engine off there is a possibility of a spring back effect when you break a jam.

·
Premium Member
5,202 Posts
Thanks, I just figured that out. The cable was ridiculously tight, so I loosened it, and everything is good now.

Anything else I should know, look for, etc?

Thanks!
As SHRYP has already pointed out, NEVER stick your hand in the chute to remove a clog, or for any other reason. Even with the engine off there is that possibility of a sudden movement if the clog is under tension. Turn your machine off and remove plug wire before making and adjustments etc.
Also, you will more than likely need to adjust the shoes/scraper bar. I have always used a couple of paint stir sticks under my scraper bar and lowered my shoes down. Works very well.
READ YOUR OWNER'S MANUAL FROM COVER TO COVER.
Enjoy your new blower!:)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts