Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked this up today for $50.00
Eh, I'm happy.. I believe it's a 1978. PO removed the tank due to bad gas a couple years ago, then got sick. So what you see (and as far as I know) is that it needs a tank bracket, primer bulb and probably other carburator knobs etc.

I happy. Really happy that I was able to get it home and in the garage while the wife was at the store! Lol.

Attachments

·
Retired Moderator
9,915 Posts
I think that's a great deal if you bought it for yourself. Lately they haven't been as saleable if flipping from what's been posted.

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
1975 and 76 used the round bucket, 77 and later went to the Square Bucket. Good Score, I use the Same machine w/Modded Chute and Impeller seal. Needs a 10hp.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
New to me Ariens 8hp engine serial #'s

So.. my research (so far) is correct? It's a 1978 ?

Where's the motor ID numbers? I've read to remove the top sheet metal cover to find the numbers...

See attached pics.. besides the Mickey Mouse nest, I can't find any sticker and / or stamped numbers anywhere.

Thanks for the help.

Attachments

·
Banned
474 Posts
To my untrained Ariens eye that bucket sure looks round to me so I say early machine.

·
Super Moderator
3,860 Posts
Wow, great find! She's a beast..
Could be 1976, '77 or '78.

https://scotlawrence.github.io/ariens/Page7.html

If you can find engine numbers, that will help confirm it.

This is really among the *ultimate* orange & white Ariens! :)
(They switched to orange and black in 1980)
Because of the cast iron gearbox, this makes this type IMO the pinnacle of the 1960's and 70's Orange and White Ariens snowblowers, as far as size, brute power and robustness is concerned. (That doesn't necessarily make it's "the best" model..from a practical standpoint, for many, smaller than this is better..but it's just the ultimate "Tim the tool man Taylor" Ariens of the 60's and 70's! ;)

(They did make orange & white 832's and 1032's until 1979, but with the aluminum gearbox..a small step down.)

(**correction** the 1978 and 1979 32 inch buckets *did* still have the cast iron gearbox! it was only the 24" bucket starting in 1979 that had the aluminum gearbox..
more detail later in this thread)

Great find! I love it..

Scot

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Scot- Thanks for the reply. I was researching 'best older ariens' and really wasn't having much luck. Really was looking for a 1032 that needed work so I can screw around with it over the winter but as you know, this isn't the best time to find a cheap fixer upper.

I did locate the engine numbers... on the pull start housing... exactly where they're supposed to be. I'm guessing the squirrel nest inside distracted me.

Attachments

·
Registered
686 Posts
I believe where the power cord to elec. starter bolts on to shroud under the power cord(plastic male end with red button if it were still bolted on top of shroud) is usually the location of Tecumseh engine numbers..
If the shroud was repainted at all usually some sanding is needed to expose numbers. Keep it level do not press down just light left to right.
Should expose stamped numbers if not visible there.

Later Tecumseh's had stickers not stamped.

I did type this before your last response...glad you found it.

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Wow, great find! She's a beast..
Could be 1976, '77 or '78.

https://scotlawrence.github.io/ariens/Page7.html

If you can find engine numbers, that will help confirm it.

This is really among the *ultimate* orange & white Ariens! :)
(They switched to orange and black in 1980)
Because of the cast iron gearbox, this makes this type IMO the pinnacle of the 1960's and 70's Orange and White Ariens snowblowers, as far as size, brute power and robustness is concerned. (That doesn't necessarily make it's "the best" model..from a practical standpoint, for many, smaller than this is better..but it's just the ultimate "Tim the tool man Taylor" Ariens of the 60's and 70's! ;)

(They did make orange & white 832's and 1032's until 1979, but with the aluminum gearbox..a small step down.)

Great find! I love it..

Scot
I've Owned More than My Share of the Early 924 32" Machines, and Never Saw a 32 with an Aluminum Gearbox.

·
Super Moderator
3,860 Posts
Thanks for the engine data! That gives us the full story.
7262D
That says the engine was assembled at Tecumseh on the 262nd day of a year ending in 7. In this case, we know "year ending in 7" can only be 1977.

The 262nd day of the year is September 19th.
Thats fairly late, but we know from the bucket its not a 1979 model year, so it must be a 1978.
(You were right!)

The engine was made in Setember 1977, shipped to Ariens, who placed it on the snowblower, which then went on sale in October or November 1977, as a 1978 model year snowblower.

So, you have a 1978 model 924024. Nice!

Scot

·
Super Moderator
3,860 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Great find, I have been using a 924024 for 6 plus years.
Try it with the 8 hp or put a newer 10 hp on it.
Excellent machines, work great,rarely break.
If you need any help , PM me, I have had mine all apart and had lots of fun with it.

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
It May Not Have the Original Engine on it, so Engine's YOM does not Necessarily Correspond to the Snowblower's YOM. I thought the Square Buckets appeared in 77, but I could be mistaken.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
1975 and 76 used the round bucket, 77 and later went to the Square Bucket. Good Score, I use the Same machine w/Modded Chute and Impeller seal. Needs a 10hp.
I use the same machine as a backup...like Jack I put a 10 hp and tall chute and impeller kit.....They are really nice machines.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
New to me Ariens 8hp 924024

Here's what I discovered so far:

1. Will need a upper fuel tank plate #34154.

2. Carburator linkage- The PO removed the sheet metal shroud (which I have). The carb. is one, I will need help sourcing the choke knob etc. Basically the stuff the PO removed in order to get the shroud off. That's what I'm missing.

3. Linkage- Drive linkage is disconnected at the control panel. I think the pieces and parts are there, just need to sit with a manual and figure it out.

This is my second day of ownership so I'm still figuring the machine out and downloading / printing manuals, parts lists etc.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 22 Posts