Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
just picked it up today. probably wont keep it, have too many. aside from the usual carb and tank service do these models have any parts that are problem areas? i know there does not seem to be too many around but i have never heard of anyone bad mouthing them. was looking for one for a while and finally found it. just want to see what makes it tick and get it to full service condition.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Nice looking old blower, can't wait to see it all working good! I have seen a few old bobcat blowers, not quite like that one though.

·
Super Moderator
2,689 Posts
Bobcat snowblower

I've seen a couple of those listed for sale around here this summer, that's about all I know on them. They do look interesting though.

I have a favor to ask, on the end of the impeller shaft and auger, if either of those is a 3/4" shaft, can you get some good pictures of them? They look alot like they might be comparable to some bushings for an auger that has plastic bushings that aren't available any more and I have yet to find a suitable replacement for. I can find some things, but so far none seem to be a good match.

What I'm looking for is a replacement for the top left one:

The area it mounts to on the auger is 3 1/4" recess and the back side has a 1 3/4" opening. I'm looking for something that would work in place of the plastic parts. There used to be metal ones, but the clamshell that holds those is not available any more from what I can find

Thanks

Paul

·
Registered
77 Posts
They are over the Grand Forks/Fargo, ND General area since Bobcats home base is here. There aren't a lot ever on the market since people hold onto them like they are gold.

·
Retired Moderator
4,160 Posts
Ariens 01018400 with 1" center hole bushing.

Ariens 01202300 with 7/8" center hole bushing.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hcbph, i am in the middle of my work week but i will take care of that while on my days off (in a couple days). i will check them as well as the bearings on an old bolens blower i have that has the same style, three point/triangle mounting.

as far as this new bobcat goes, i saw one working through snow before i had a snowblower and it was unstoppable. it wasnt in the greatest shape but it was a workhorse, the harder the guy pushed it the better it worked. i never found one but i turned up the snow sharks like in my picture since they are the same paddle style machines. now i have three of those. the paddles spin so fast they rarely if ever clog no matter what the snow type. the couple times this past hard winter when mine did clog, i just drove it hard into a snowbank and it blasted the clog out.

i am not sure if the bobcat machine came first or mine or a different paddle maker did. but i know they shouldnt have stopped making them. i can only thing the were too expensive to produce.

like my snow sharks by motomower this bobcat has a transmission instead of a friction wheel.

we will see how it works

·
Retired Moderator
4,160 Posts
The bushings for those supports are:
05503000 for 7/8"
05503500 for 1"

There is also this one, but not sure what support bracket it fits.
05503900 for 3/4"

·
Super Moderator
2,689 Posts
Bushings

The bushings for those supports are:
05503000 for 7/8"
05503500 for 1"
There is also this one, but not sure what support bracket it fits.
05503900 for 3/4"
Appreciate the numbers, when I tried talking to the local shop they wouldn't do anything wthout a machine model, and tried using ones I'd found didn't help. If I can lay my hands on one to do some measuring, I don't have alot of space on the inside and outside of the housing.

I did find something: OREGON 45-064 BEARING; 1-3/4" OD x 3/4" ID x 1-7/8" Flange OD x 1/2" Width
It looked very promising till I found it was an open bearing and that won't work on a auger. Right now I'm back to square one, I'm still looking for something to replace those 3/4" plastic auger bushings. Other than the bean counters figuring they'd save a cent or two by going to plastic from metal; I have no other logical reason to justify it. Ironically that's the single last item I have yet to find a substitute for.

Paul

·
Registered
25 Posts
Appreciate the numbers, when I tried talking to the local shop they wouldn't do anything wthout a machine model, and tried using ones I'd found didn't help. If I can lay my hands on one to do some measuring, I don't have alot of space on the inside and outside of the housing.

I did find something: OREGON 45-064 BEARING; 1-3/4" OD x 3/4" ID x 1-7/8" Flange OD x 1/2" Width
It looked very promising till I found it was an open bearing and that won't work on a auger. Right now I'm back to square one, I'm still looking for something to replace those 3/4" plastic auger bushings. Other than the bean counters figuring they'd save a cent or two by going to plastic from metal; I have no other logical reason to justify it. Ironically that's the single last item I have yet to find a substitute for.

Paul
Have you talked to this guy he might have a lead on some parts Page 1

·
Super Moderator
2,689 Posts
Options

Have you talked to this guy he might have a lead on some parts Page 1
I've spent a couple of hours at Napa, Oreilly's, even a local bearing shop without success so far. I have a contact at an online one I keep wanting to send the info to and see if she can turn something up. Seems like I never have the time to do it when I remember. It's on my todo list though and it's not a rush at the moment.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i can't believe it. after all the nonsense with carburetors and gas i have these days. it runs! i cleaned the points and plug, freed up the stuck choke, shot some starter fluid in just to see if it would fire and after a couple puffs and 40 pulls later the darn thing roared to life.

that's not the wild part. it continued to run, and run pretty well, until all of the old stale gas had been used up! i put in some more fresh gas and 1 pull it fired back up!

the gentleman i bought it from said he hasn't used it in at least 3 years. we had to pull the ivy that had grown around it just to pull it out from behind the shed.

i will rebuild the carb anyway as when the auger or any load is abruptly put on it it starts to die.

but it all works, forward, backward, auger, and impeller controls.

now i know a little clean up and a carb service and we are in business.

·
Super Moderator
2,689 Posts
Congrats

i will rebuild the carb anyway as when the auger or any load is abruptly put on it it starts to die.

but it all works, forward, backward, auger, and impeller controls.

now i know a little clean up and a carb service and we are in business.
Congrats on getting it running. Make sure your governor & linkage are free also in addition to the carb.

Better watch it, it can be addictive (I'm starting on #7 now) :D

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
if i count the two i "plan" on selling i am up to 6

but i think i am out of room. i dont like to have to move stuff around or pull 3 things out just to have room to work.

your probably right on the throttle and governor linkage, the throttle is full or off making contact with the kill switch, no in between or part throttle. will check prob tonight after i mess with the bearings/bushing measurements

1 - 17 of 17 Posts