Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy. I stumbled upon an old 826 today. I just moved to Michigan from the south, so shoveling doesn’t sound like fun. This was $125 and less than a mile from me so it seemed like a no brainer. Toro has always made great equipment and it really appears to be in great shape. Shear pins are good, transmission shifts smooth. Runs great, fires up first pull. It’s leaking gas from the carb and making my garage stink but that’s no big deal. I’m quite familiar with small engine stuff so not concerned at all about that.

question is, how can I identify what year this is? It does have safety handles and stuff on it so from what I gather, after 1984. All the serial numbers and labels on the machine are present and in good shape, so I can read all the numbers. I’m just trying to identify the correct year so I can make sure to get the correct parts. Hopefully oem parts are still available...

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
54132D9A-0418-4AE2-AFFA-B437F650ED26.jpeg

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Welcome, if ya know the numbers don't keep them a secret.
List them?

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
All you need to do is go to the Toro web site and order manuals
and the Briggs and Stratton site for the engine parts list.

·
Super Moderator
794 Posts
welcome to the SBF

since toro NO longer lists years by serial number for many model's on thier web site and yours is one of them Parts – 826 Snowthrower | Toro
your engine was made june 28 of 1979 on assembly line 10 making it possible toro put it on that very early first year 38150 or possibly 1980 model year using your serial number

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Welcome to SBF!

I picked up an 826 in the middle of last season (Link.)

If you don't have experience with the briggs updraft carb, you're in for a treat curing that fuel leak. It's usually the emulsion tube and there is a TSB for it (Link).

·
Registered
938 Posts
that is a 1980 Toro

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys.
I’ve been reading about safety switches and stuff that were introduced in 1984. What would that entail?

this has the levers on either handle and if you release one, it shuts off if it’s in gear or has the auger running. If it’s in neutral it will idle. But that’s about it as far as I can tell.
Just want to make sure. The serial number does appear to be pretty low so it would make sense that it’s an older 38150 too, so curious what additional safety switches would be implemented.

sorry fir all the questions, I’ve never lived where I’ve needed a snowblower before. But looking forward to using it. I love toys!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Most Parts 4 That are Now NLA. TORO Does Not Use BLOODY Sheer Pins In There. They Are Grade 5 Bolts. 1980 Is The Year of That 1.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Thanks guys.
I’ve been reading about safety switches and stuff that were introduced in 1984. What would that entail?

this has the levers on either handle and if you release one, it shuts off if it’s in gear or has the auger running. If it’s in neutral it will idle. But that’s about it as far as I can tell.
Just want to make sure. The serial number does appear to be pretty low so it would make sense that it’s an older 38150 too, so curious what additional safety switches would be implemented.

sorry fir all the questions, I’ve never lived where I’ve needed a snowblower before. But looking forward to using it. I love toys!
Hopefully this link (Link) helps testing interlock switch functionality; I was also able to reverse engineer the interlock module.

Edit: if that's truly a 1980 model, lucky you...there's no interlock module; the ignition gets directly grounded by the interlock switch circuit.

Edit2: added the wiring diagram from the 1980 model. N/C (normally closed) means that when the switches are not engaged, they're closed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you all for the help. I’ve ordered a carb rebuild kit and a set of the Teflon washers. It’s functional now, just leaks gas. After this season I’ll look into tearing it down and rebuilding anything it needs. It’s in great shape with no rust, should be a good candidate to make a real nice machine.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Thank you all for the help. I’ve ordered a carb rebuild kit and a set of the Teflon washers. It’s functional now, just leaks gas. After this season I’ll look into tearing it down and rebuilding anything it needs. It’s in great shape with no rust, should be a good candidate to make a real nice machine.
You going to use it?
Don't end up like this.

Reactions: captchas

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wow, no! I’ve started it to confirm that it runs and everything works. Aside from that I’m not going to be using it until I change the oil and fix the gas leak at a minimum. I already emptied the tank to stop it from stinking LOL. If I have time before we get a substantial amount of snow I’ll use it once that is done. What I meant was once it’s warm and spring comes I will probably go through it with a fine tooth comb. But until then just want function over form :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Got the carb rebuild kit but didn’t need anything in it. Carb was clean as a whistle and all the gaskets looked pretty new. Also got the Briggs kit with the little plastic sheet of washers. Really, that’s all I ended up using. Fuel leak appears to be solved, dry as a bone. Tweaked the carb a bit, adjusted the float height, changes the oil and she purrs like a kitten. Fires up first pull and really runs great. No funny noises other than the discharge chute being a little loose on its little turret. But overall I’m happy now, and will put some more work into it once this winter is over. Thanks for the help!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts