Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Posted up my official intro a few days ago in the proper forum, and now I'm popping over here to lay out what I've got and ask for general guidelines.

While I was off on business, we got sacked with some wet heavy snow back home and my better half decided enough was enough and bought a blower from someone down the road. It's an ST824; plate on the back says the model is 924050. Now, I've never so much as touched a snowblower in my life, so this is brand new territory for me. From what I've been reading, it *sounds* like this is a fairly well respected model...right?

If anybody has super noob tips that they'd like to share, let me hear it! I know nothing about this world...don't know how these machines are supposed to sound, handle, etc. I have no real benchmark for "this thing works great!" vs "huh, it shouldn't be doing this". I guess I don't have any specific questions just yet as I still haven't even fired it up myself, and I don't even know what questions I should be asking. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Although a older model it’s one of the better 924 series as many refer to them, So the better half did real well picking one out especially if it’s in good shape.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Best advise I can give is to thoroughly read the owners manual if the seller provided you with it and if he/she didn't, go online and read it. Then make sure all of the required maintenance has been performed on that machine. Next most important thing is to always use non-ethanol fuel in it and if that is impossible to find in your area, use a good stabilizer treatment with your gas. Good luck with it, the Ariens is a decent machine.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Next most important thing is to always use non-ethanol fuel in it and if that is impossible to find in your area, use a good stabilizer treatment with your gas.
Thank you for this! The manual (not included, but already found online) is on my list, but the fuel thing is something I didn't have a clue about and probably would have managed to overlook.

Looks like it was repainted by a previous owner - no visible rust on the main shell, but the paint is clearly thicker in spots than others, like the main layer had flaked off before or something.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Best advise I can give is to thoroughly read the owners manual if the seller provided you with it and if he/she didn't, go online and read it. Then make sure all of the required maintenance has been performed on that machine. Next most important thing is to always use non-ethanol fuel in it and if that is impossible to find in your area, use a good stabilizer treatment with your gas. Good luck with it, the Ariens is a decent machine.

Non-ethanol fuel is really expensive to use during normal use periods, so do research in these forums to find what works best for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
175 Posts
Used Blower

Assuming that everything works properly and the blower has been well maintained the first thing I would do is check the oil, plugs, augers / shear pins, belts, and the impeller. You're also going to want to check the trans for proper operation. Lubricate all friction points. Plenty of videos on YouTube will show you what to look for and how to do it. Read your manual and bring all maintenance checks up to date. If all checks out I would then set the scrapper bar, shoes to the proper setting and top off the tire pressure. Make sure the scrapper bar has not been damaged. I would then dump the gas and start with a fresh tank. Pour in some Sea Foam and you should be good to go. Get used to using fuel additive with every tank. Especially if your engine is an OHV. (Over Head Valve) Use the fuel shutoff valve to run the carb dry after each use. Note: check the manual for the correct starting procedure. Once you are familiar with how to use the machine you can decide what modifications if any you would like to make.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Greetings. The suggestions given already pretty much cover everything you need to know.
You spoke of a wet, heavy snowfall recently. With time, you will learn that all snow isn't created equal with respect to how easily a machine can move it. Generally speaking, wet slushy snow (usually seen when temps hover around freezing) won't be thrown as far (if at all) as snow that has fallen during colder temperatures. The latter having a texture that is more like sand. Generally, I've found it easier to move recently fallen snow than snow that has lingered for a number of hours, if not days.

Finally, NEVER stick your hand down the chute or get anywhere near the two augurs while the machine is running. Also, dangling hoodie strings, scarfs, untucked shirt tails, etc. can easily be wrapped around moving parts. I always pull the spark plug wire off of the plug anytime I need to get inside the augur housing or remove the belt cover.

I'm no mechanical genius yet I've owned my Ariens for 14 years and I've never found the need to take it to the shop. With the help of kind folks on this forum and elsewhere (youtube), I've been able to change belts, replace a starter, clean and eventually replace the carb, and make numerous other adjustments. I change oil frequently, using synthetic and I use ethanol free fuel which is readily available in my region. While I'm a complainer by nature, I have to admit that most of the time, using my blower is actually fun. As you gain experience using the machine, you will become more adept, efficient, and may find times when blowing snow around is actually fun.

·
Super Moderator
3,855 Posts
Non-ethanol fuel is really expensive to use during normal use periods, so do research in these forums to find what works best for you.
I wouldn't say its "really expensive". I would say its "very slightly more expensive, but so slightly more expensive that the extra cost is sooooooo worth it to greatly decrease gas related problems"

Non-ethanol at the pump around here (western NY) is about a dollar more per gallon..
I probably go through 10 gallons of gas total per year, snowblowers and lawn mowers combined.
So..an extra $10 per year compared to regular gas with ethanol..
Not really worth debating the cost! ;) IMO, its a non-issue.

Scot

·
Registered
639 Posts
It’s by area, we don’t have non e pumps here, so it’s $80 for a 5 gal or $20 for one gal

·
Super Moderator
9,892 Posts
I agree with Scot unless e.fisher was talking about something like TruFuel. That stuff can be around $20 a gallon or more depending on where you get it and if you buy one can or a case.
I always try to use ethanol free from the pump but I could never justify using something like TruFuel at 7X + the cost of pump gas in my equipment. That's just me. I go through too much fuel especially in the riding lawn tractors mowing and blowing.

NAPA 32oz - - > https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/RPR6527238
HomeDepot case - - > https://www.homedepot.com/p/TruFuel-4-Cycle-Ethanol-Free-Fuel-6-Pack-6527238/203572162

·
Premium Member
951 Posts
There is ethanol free, and there is Tru--Ripoff. I don't regard them as the same thing myself when discussing . . .

(Or perhaps I should buy a pallet of cans and start selling pump E0 with Stabil for $20 a pop, and retire early? Really, I don't get it . . . )

·
Registered
639 Posts
I agree with Scot unless e.fisher was talking about something like TruFuel. That stuff can be around $20 a gallon or more depending on where you get it and if you buy one can or a case.

I always try to use ethanol free from the pump but I could never justify using something like TruFuel at 7X + the cost of pump gas in my equipment. That's just me. I go through too much fuel especially in the riding lawn tractors mowing and blowing.

NAPA 32oz - - > https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/RPR6527238

HomeDepot case - - > https://www.homedepot.com/p/TruFuel-4-Cycle-Ethanol-Free-Fuel-6-Pack-6527238/203572162

Canned is all I have in my area, which is why I said do research, he may or may not have access to pump e-free

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I wouldn't say its "really expensive". I would say its "very slightly more expensive, but so slightly more expensive that the extra cost is sooooooo worth it to greatly decrease gas related problems"

Non-ethanol at the pump around here (western NY) is about a dollar more per gallon..
I probably go through 10 gallons of gas total per year, snowblowers and lawn mowers combined.
So..an extra $10 per year compared to regular gas with ethanol..
Not really worth debating the cost! ;) IMO, its a non-issue.

Scot
Well that's good to hear, given that I live in Western NY!

And of course, we haven't had any blower-worthy snowfall since this was purchased, so even though I'm back home and ready to try this out, I haven't had the chance. Bet we get dumped on as soon as I have to leave again.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts