Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I just bought a Toro 928 HD OAE from Home Depot. I adjusted the cables as per manual. The machine makes horrible screeching noise when going in reverse.

This is 3rd machine I got from Home Depot. First one belts were on 2 tight. Like fool assumed all good from store/manufacturer. Smoked for good 5 mins and smell brunt rubber. Returned it. 2nd one made same noise. Home Depot told me return it and try another..... Same issue/noice!

·
Retired Moderator
10,372 Posts
Welcome to SBF deepbluesea

If you have the desire, skills and it's a hassle to load up to return it, take the manual and go through all the setup adjustments. Especially belt tension, and wheel drive.
Does it make the same noise in R1 & R2 ? If it only makes it in R1 might be the friction disc is not adjusted properly and it's way too close to the center of the drive disc.

It's new, it's under warranty, take a shot at it or return.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Home Depot thinks due to covid Toro is rushing or understaff putting machines together. Saying more returns this year then in past 4-5 years. I just want a machine that works. My 10 year old craftsman's broke last snowfall. Both wheels came off.

Local Toro dealer is $2099 before tax and Home Depot is $1749 before tax. Huge price difference!

The machine didn't come with manual and one I found on Toro's website doesn't say how to adjust friction disk.....

·
Premium Member
1,247 Posts
Time is money . . . Have you spent $350 worth of your time messing with Home Depot? It does not seem right that several machines are locked up like you described. I wonder if there is a pre-sale preparation step that HD is missing and the manual is not covering?

·
Retired Moderator
10,372 Posts
What is the actual model and serial number of it ??

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No haven't spent that much time with Home Depot to pay extra $350 + tax! 10-15mins each time I went. Lol.

Home Depot has been great through whole experience. They said they only put handles on them when they come in. Belts being over tightened first one was Toro... Toro seems to have quality control issue.

Model 38840
SN 408708172

I took back panel off. Adjusted the rod/arm that controls where fiction wheel lands on motors disk. Still horrible squeaking in reverse no matter where I made disk land. Couldn't see anything rubbing or touching when in reverse.

One concern I noticed was axel of motor disk (centre portion disk spins on) isn't flush/uniform with rest of motor dish. When blower is in reverse friction wheel lands right on this uniformity. Is this normal?

When I position friction wheel to not hit this area the blower doesn't move forward in first. Squeaking noise still present.

In terms of the noise should I grease moving parts of blower? Chain, axel, etc. Obviously not motor disk or friction wheel. Could it be that simple that Toro didn't grease something?

I'd upload video noise but this site won't let me upload .mp4 my phone takes. Tried converting to .Avi still no luck. No idea video format this site allows.

Also thank you everyone for the welcome and advice

·
Retired Moderator
10,372 Posts
Video with sound would be very helpful. Wouldn't hurt to lube everything that rotates or moves.

·
Premium Member
1,247 Posts
Here is a video that may help . . .

Questions . . .

When you shift into reverse are you letting up on the drive handle grip (at the handle bars) to disengage the friction wheel?

As you have taken the lower panel off to expose the drive mechanism, is the friction wheel pulled away from the disc when the handle grip is not engaged and does it move to the disc when you engage the handle grip?

My thoughts are that the friction wheel should move past the indentation area of the friction disc when going from reverse to forward (and vise versa) because the friction wheel should be away from the disc when the drive in not engaged via the handle grip.

Additionally, the snow blowers come to the retail outlets (stores, dealers, etc.) fairly well assembled. So, it is not like the stores are really doing anything but assemble up the handle bars, if needed. It also seems strange that Toro would put the wrong belts on the machine or have it grossly out of adjustment . . . if that is even possible.

Why did you need to adjust the cables? Perhaps there is an issue there?

I also found a setup video if that helps. . . .

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
No... I'm not letting up on the lever that engages the traction system. According to manual it's adjusted correctly. Black hinge is in contact with frame as described in manual. I adjusted this cable after hearing noise and reading manual. The black hinge that's attached to the traction leaver wasn't in contact with the frame as described in the manual.

The friction wheel doesn't touch disc and doesn't move (except for slight vibrations) unless left hand trigger is engaged

Doesn't make noise in any of the forward gears/speeds. Only reverse....

We just had 10cm of snow. Clearing driveway by hand after working in hospital (nurse) all day sucks cuz issue with brand new snow blower!

Added video hope it works:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Snowblowers/comments/ky4h5k

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
I'd contact your servicing dealer and share them the video. As long as machine is usable I'd go use it and take it in for service after season

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If it was belt squeak wouldn't it happen at all speeds? Two belts correct? Auger belt and traction disc belt. If motor is just spinning that disc at constant and friction wheel controls speed. What other moving part is engaged/different when in reverse.... direction of friction wheel? Are there bearings in that wheel that could be issue? Sorry if my understanding is incorrect... I'm going by what I've seen inside machine, videos and suggestions here. I'm a nurse not a mechanic Jim! (sorry! couldn't resist)

·
Premium Member
1,247 Posts
Looks like you are releasing the handle grip to shift . . . (y)

In the video . . . it goes forward and backward . . . makes a bit of a noise in reverse.

Time to go blow some snow. 😀

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Are you saying the noise is normal? My 10 year old craftsman's with no wheels sounds healthier then this new Toro...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts