Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys how are you all? First time posting for me and thanks for having this forum it will be a great help.

I'm looking into snow blowers and came across 2 last night at my local Home Depot. 1 was a 205 cc B&S eng with 8.5 lbs of toruqe "Canadian" brand unit with several forward speeds and 1 reverse, 2 stage with a 24" path, brand new for $699.

The other was a "Poulan" brand with 1 headlight, several forward speeds, 1 reverse, a 250 cc B&S eng. with 11.5 lbs. of toruqe and a 27" path and was reconditioned. The normal price was $999 but is on sale now for $749 or a 25% discount.

The Poulan looked much beefier and was far larger overall, I have no idea what was involved in the "Reconditioning" but I assume for now it comes with a warrenty.

Which would you go after and what are your thoughts. With winter in my area (North NJ) coming to a close soon the prices may fall if we don't get any more snow, but also these units won't stick around for ever.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have no first hand knowledge of what I am about to type, but this is my opinion.
If Home Depot is selling it as reconditioned, I would think that someone bought it and returned it. A friend of mine bought one like that. The guy had it for a day and brought it back and bought a smaller one. My buddy got it for 20% off or something like that. So chances are, it's new.

If it really is reconditioned, then you know that all the wear parts have some hours on them, but anything that would have broken on a New machine, probably would have already.

Just my two cents.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Reconditioned at HomeDepot just means some one returned it and they washed it down, maybe replaced a spark plug and possibly replaced the shoes. Basically it is brand new.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the quick replies. The recon unit did have a bit on wear on it but it was minor. I was thinking someone bought it, used it once or twice and brought it back.

I think I'll head back to HD and talk with the manager about it. If it's still there in a week with no snow in the forecast maybe he'll budge on the price a bit more, I've at least got to see what kind of warrenty it comes with and if I can add a yr. for a small amount.

Thanks again, I may lose this one to someone else but good to know this place is here.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts