Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2004 ariens st8524 (932104)
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just this year I decided to trade up from a toro powerlite I had since new in the early 90s. It has served me well but was in need of it's second paddle replacement and I decided it was time to get something larger not because I really need it but it will be nice. I found a 2004 or so ariens 932104. It needed work but was running and the price was right. I used posts from here to help me figure out what was needed and now have a pretty nice unit.
I ended up needing a new friction disk and scraper bar along with hardware for the bar.. last owner let it grind to nothing. I was worried about valve clearance due to it not running well and stalling after warning up but it turned out to be fine once I checked it. I just had bad gas. Drained the carb and tank and with fresh had it runs fine. All in I've spent around $180 for the unit and parts so I'm pretty happy with that. Should be ready when we get snow!

·
Premium Member
376 Posts
Welcome Mike
Sure is satisfying when you can troubleshoot and repair a machine yourself, get it running and operating well.
You will find a lot of experienced and helpful people on this site if you get stumped. Many good you tube videos out there also, like donyboy73.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Welcome Mike.
Did you do the work?

·
Registered
331 Posts
All the snowblowers that I bought have skid shoes and scraper bars grinded to nothing. People don't really take care of their snowblowers. It is the reason why they were for sale.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
All the snowblowers that I bought have skid shoes and scraper bars grinded to nothing. People don't really take care of their snowblowers. It is the reason why they were for sale.
Yeah. This one you could tell he just ran it and did little repair. It also had bolts instead of shear pins and I fixed that too. The drive sorta worked and he said he just used it that way... Shifter forks were disconnected too along with a trashed friction disk. But it ran well when I looked at it and not too rusty so I took a chance on it. I feel like I rescued it because I don't think it would last much longer without the maintenance. I hope to keep it for a long time.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Welcome Mike
Sure is satisfying when you can troubleshoot and repair a machine yourself, get it running and operating well.
You will find a lot of experienced and helpful people on this site if you get stumped. Many good you tube videos out there also, like donyboy73.
Yeah donyboy has some great videos. They were useful for sure.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Yeah. This one you could tell he just ran it and did little repair. It also had bolts instead of shear pins and I fixed that too. The drive sorta worked and he said he just used it that way... Shifter forks were disconnected too along with a trashed friction disk. But it ran well when I looked at it and not too rusty so I took a chance on it. I feel like I rescued it because I don't think it would last much longer without the maintenance. I hope to keep it for a long time.
When the disk wears down, it does not take long for the friction plate to get grooved.
Easier to replace the disk than the plate, cheaper too.
If you plan on keeping it get a spare disk.
Eventually you will need it.
Spare belts too.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Nice machine. Welcome aboard.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts