Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I am a new transplant to Central New York (New Hartford/Utica) area from Virginia. I've never owned or used a snow blower. Most recommend min of 8HP to deal with the occasional big dumps of heavy/wet snow and the overrun from the plows.

There are several older model Ariens, such as http://utica.craigslist.org/grd/4600414072.html. No exact age, probe > 15 yrs. Model 924000 series 8hp 24". New muffler.

For new models, I'm considering the the 24" Snotek line. I don't think I can afford an equivalent 8hp in the new machines.

I have a fondness for the older one and armchair desire to repaint it and rejuvenate it. However am unsure of the older motor vs modern style. I can do easy maintenance tasks but not big stuff. There is also small features like remote change of the deflection angle on the chute.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My budget is about $650 - The Snoteks 24" are $629 at Home depot. However, getting a used machine that will meet my needs for less would be great. I like to tinker, but don't want to have to get an older one totally overhauled.

There is also this 10 year old 28" 11.5HP Ariens I saw on craigslist also

Ariens Snowblower listed at $500

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
I have one exactly like the one on craiglist except mine is 30" It looks in great shape as said. These Tecumseh engines is a 1 or 2 pull for starting.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Yeah, that CL unit looks real nice. I had that same engine (mine was 8.5hp) on an MTD that served me without a hiccup for 6 or 7 years. That could be a great buy assuming you can transport it and no one here throws up a red flag.

I've mentally trended away from used gear after having a bad experience ($$$) or two. I don't really have the time or temperament to be tinkering with these things any longer. For me, new is new, and that 3 yr warranty has a high appeal factor.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Looks like a deal! I think they eventually tagged those models "Pro" later on? My buddy has the 9526DLE "Pro". If it has the same chute control, it's a single lever action from left to right to rotate from point to the left or pointing to the right. Wish mine had that!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts