Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
Ryan up in Maine here. Buying a new snowblower this season. Have always plowed due to long drive. About 350 feet gravel. Plowing is no longer an option and I hate to pay someone to do it for me. I will be buying a walk behind unit for now as I can not afford tractor. I am willing to spend some coin. Local ariens dealer makes pick up delivery and service the logical choice. They also have a great name. I am stuck between the pro series and the hydro pro. Also 28 inch or 32 inch? Any help and options welcome and greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
I would look for a Nice Older ST1032 Ariens. I personally think the New Stuff is Crap, Built to Fail, vs Built to Last. Just My 2 cents.

·
Registered
37 Posts
New Ariens and built to last as well. Still all steel, etc. Very robust. The nice thing about your two choices are both have the new Auto-Turn technology. Makes them very easy to make a "Zero-Turn" mower sort of maneuver. Especially nice on big ones like a 32". So it comes down to drive system. The Hydro has 2 big advantages. Infinite speed control and maintenance-free. No friction disc that can wear out. It costs more in the beginning but probably worth it over time.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you guys. I have considered buying an older model but think I'm going to stick to buying new. Even the newer models do appear to be pretty stout and rugged. In others experience how often would I have to change the friction plate? And if I go hydro can I expect problems or are the transmissions pretty reliable as well?

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
I have some 10000 series with Original Friction Wheels Still Working Fine. I Think ALL the New Stuff is Crap, Regardless of Claims.... New Features that Break; For Example, look at the chute systems. Old School Crank and Gear Doesn't Break... That's MY Opinion, Other's Opinions May Vary. Keep in mind That I Currently own some 25 Ariens Machines, and I just might have a Clue.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Thank you guys. I have considered buying an older model but think I'm going to stick to buying new. Even the newer models do appear to be pretty stout and rugged. In others experience how often would I have to change the friction plate? And if I go hydro can I expect problems or are the transmissions pretty reliable as well?
Not completely sure on usual time for a friction disc to wear, I've had my Ariens for 5 winters of varying amounts of snow and had no signs of issues. As far as the the hydros, they are made by Hydro-Gear which has been making products for mowers among other things for years. I'd imagine they put much time into testing, etc.

·
Registered
530 Posts
If your driveway is 350 ft I would go 32 for sure!!!

New or used is your call. Listen to more than one guy on here and then make your own informed decision. Best of luck!!!

P.S. Sometimes.... Snowww......is Beddah!!!!!!!!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts