Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Craftsman 522.JPG

Had remove the handle to get this home and now I could use some gentle direction in getting this old one back together... The shifter linkage is a good place to start. I can throw up some more pictures.
Craftsman 5 22 picture.JPG

Attachments

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
HI welcome, that is the number for the motor would you have one for the blower?

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
At least that is what the Sears site is telling me, that is the motor #.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Big Ed,

I went out looking to take more pictures and tightened a bolt on the connection on the mid point of the shifter shaft and was able to get it into neutral and reverse. So that's good enough for July 13...

Now it's the cable connection. I'll hit it with some wd 40... Do you think it is connected the right way?

The Sears info I've seen says this comes with a tecumseh, this has Briggs and stratton labels on the starter cord housing...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for taking an interest, I like it. I have a Toro 521 that does a good job at my daughters house. This seemed similar...

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
I had to wait to get to mine.
I don't have that one but another 5 hp 22". I looked t mine today it is in my shed for the summer, mine is different.
It looks to me like there might be something that goes in the bottom hole? A tension Spring maybe?
I don't know, we do have a Craftsman expert here somewhere, might be one of the MIA moderators?
He would probably be able to tell you.
Did you ever find a model number somewhere? That number in the picture comes up showing as a motor number.
I guess you didn't get the manual?
We might be able to get you a manual download for one if we knew what model it is.
There are no other tags anywhere?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Any chance this might be a replacement engine. The others I’ve seen are red.

I’ll keep looking for other numbers.

One problem with the cable is the cable is that it is seized. I sprayed it with wd40. Fortunately it’s July and not January!

Thanks for your help,

·
Registered
1,061 Posts

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
You can use that over and over again. I would take the cable off and put it in a bucket or something and pour this over the top to cover it. Let it sit overnight soaking.
When done using the evapo get a strainer of some kind and strain it, then pour it in a glass jar or plastic jug.
This stuff works great.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sounds good, I’m sure I’ll have plenty of use for evaporust. I have disconnected the cable from the motor but not the lever. It is stuck...

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
It will last a long time, try that.
And if you have anything else rusty toss it in the bucket with the cable.
But the longer you let it soak the better.
Let it soak over night then work the cable some, if it moves work it back and forth some then let it sit another 24 hours or so. It will work itself into the cable.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
If it frees up I would lube it somehow.
I really don't know what would work best.
This stuff is great for chains, I wonder if it would work on the cable.

I am a Tanker Yanker, 18 wheels I have been pulling a tankers for a long time. Too long. :)
Been there done that, most of the products on the market has some of my chemicals in them.
Fuchs is no stranger to me, though I have not delivered there in a while. I want to get back there as I can get some for free off the unloader man.
I did buy a can for my Snowbird, works excellent on her chain.
But I like free better. (y)
My Bird thread, Vintage 1963 Snowbird

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Big Ed,

I ordered the evaporust, it should arrive on Friday and I’ll soak the cables for a couple of days. Thanks again for the suggestion.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
When you had it out did you try gently bending the cable up the entire length?
The outside does not look too bad in the picture, but pictures can be misleading.
If there is corrosion/rust in the inside maybe the fluid is not getting into the whole cable.
Did you add anything else that had rust into the bucket? Might as well?

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Re-looking at the one picture with the cable end, there is a rubber cap on it. I can't see the other side of the cable does it have that cap on the other side too?
Can you pull those caps off?
I guess the caps are in place to keep moisture out, maybe those caps are preventing the Evapo-rust from getting into the cable.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The rubber cap may have been causing an issue. I had the cable sitting in a way that pushed it toward the opening. I just changed it.

Otherwise this stuff is amazing!

Thanks again

1 - 20 of 22 Posts