Snowblower Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
717 Posts

·
Registered
4,379 Posts
Looks like it was well taken care of .... I have 2 of the 10000 series ... love those units.

·
Registered
4,379 Posts
Yeah, but you wont find one of the new ones today built so solid ... those will last another 50 years if taken acre of ...

·
Registered
219 Posts
Honestly, anything today under $50 in decent shape, even just needing a carb rebuild, is a steal.

Nice find. I had seen an Ariens near me for free, but just don't have the space anymore.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Interesting modifications to the chute and rotator.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I must be getting soft, paid $40 for it.
As they say, for $40, “I’d buy that machine every day and twice on Sunday.”
Nice find, I wouldn’t have been able to say no to it either.
Now make a restoration project out of it with lots of pix for us to admire, we need more rebuild threads.

·
Premium Member
1,461 Posts
Great condition, the wheels and Ariens logo on the hub are in very nice condition (usually flaking and rusting), entire machine should clean up very well.

Not sure how I feel about the chute mods, but maybe they work very well.

Great score for $40.00 for sure. You are building quite the collection in a short time, a little jealous 😛

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i like how all the labels seem to be there. and the chrome handles look to be in great shape. that tipped me off from the ad pics that it was an indoor machine.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Nice. Like Ziggy mentioned, rare to see the hub cap logo there. Handles and tank straps, straight scraper bar.
There's $40 worth of bolts and scrap metal in that deflector mod anyway😂

·
Premium Member
1,461 Posts
It may have had some orange paint touch ups based on the auger bushing flanges on the side of the bucket and chute deflector wing nut being painted as well as the lack of paint loss inside the chute.

A great machine and the touch ups show how well the previous owner cared for the machine.

Interested in the back story of the machine if you have any info.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok, after about 2 hours of solvent cleaning, some exterior pics! Gotta say, this thing looks like it has 1 year of use on it, not 50. I think it is the best I have personally seen.

Attachments

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
taking a break with some decaf earl grey. quick backstory: sold by the son for his father (original owner, 80's now). told me that his father used to squirt some starter fluid in the plug hole to get it started when it was really cold (first start). dad did the mods to the chute, adding a nice jointed extension for turning the chute. works really well. also added the frankenstein chute deflector. works as intended, but will probably remove it.

i don't think it has had any repaint (a little hard to know in the bucket). i think he sprayed the snow bank thing, and some paint ran down the bucket side. he also seems to have sprayed the auger bearing exterior covers and chute turn buckle (probably wanted it all orange). no biggie.

the cleaning took about 2 straight hours. did not touch:

the belly pan removal. interested to see the insides
the fan belt cover
the oil
the augers (though they seem to move in opposite directions, which is good sign)
wheel removal

needs a new recoil handle. did drain most of the fuel.

it wheeled around normal at first. while working on it, noticed electrical tape around the differential lock knob. removed it. now the wheels will not roll. in service position, the wheels move fine, but only in opposite direction. maybe someone can chime in.

will post the engine codes for ziggy to decipher (i want do everything!).

·
Premium Member
7,952 Posts
Ok, after about 2 hours of solvent cleaning, some exterior pics! Gotta say, this thing looks like it has 1 year of use on it, not 50. I think it is the best I have personally seen.
I thought you paid 10k for this........anyway excellent work. what do you use for cleaning solvent? do you spray on and then powerwash off or just spray off?

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I thought you paid 10k for this........anyway excellent work. what do you use for cleaning solvent? do you spray on and then powerwash off or just spray off?
I find degreasing or power washing ineffective in these old machines. I go right for a spray bottle of white gas to cut right through decades of dirt/oil. Toothbrushes and rags. Here I also used the gas I drained out of the gas tank. Fight fire with fire when cleaning up grease. Works great.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts