Snowblower Forum banner
1 - 20 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
3,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, picked up my next project this morning, a nice older JD 826 .... I plan on getting it running and bringing it up to date with new XTrac and Poly Skids, and sprucing up the paint, as it actually is cosmetically in good shape .... maybe some re-paint ... needs one of the auger ribbons straightened and axle bushings right off the bat, plus some fuel system work.

This one will be put in my personal fleet.

·
Premium Member
1,303 Posts
Great condition, looks like you could maintain most of the original paint with some touch ups here and there.

The older JD's are very well built machines. Garage is filling fast :love: :love: .

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
I don't know if you've read my comments about this machine, my experiences are with a JD 1032.

Positives, this is a heavy machine, cast iron gearbox, the augers are thicker than anything I've ever seen, the impeller is also incredibly thick and difficult to drill through, exact placement of holes for the impeller rubber is imperative as not to get too close to the underside support veins. I like the auger engage handle, an interesting engagement of the auger belt, and the rubber drive disk is incredibly easy to replace, it's at the end of the hex drive shaft, not in the middle, and only a few bolts.

Negatives, the handle tubing at the bottom where they turn are weak and subject to cracking, the chute needs to be cut in the middle and lengthen, the chute turning handle is uncomfortably low, BUT the worst is it is very tiring to pull up the drive lever, squeezing, rather than holding down with your palm.

Reactions: Eyeboltman

·
Registered
3,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just ordered new XTrac tires ....

@JL,

If I have to, ill put a spring loaded pin to keep that lever in position so I don't have to hold it, like on my Ariens Tiller and some of my Ariens Blowers.

I just have to locate one of the large Wing Nuts, ... the one that goes on the left side axle to easily put the differential in and out.

·
Premium Member
1,303 Posts
This one just went up for sale not too far from me.
A couple of years newer than yours and has the taller chute, but looks to be in similar condition. They are asking $450.00.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
I'm catching up on posts, was out of town for a while. I have never used one, but have worked on a few, and can attest to their weight and strength of parts. I agree with JLawrence's assessment of pros and cons. Many of the traction parts are available on EBay, but may be easiest to wait for a broken one to get the parts you need.

·
Registered
3,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quick update ... I cleaned out a mouse nest, and lubed all the chains, shafts, bushings, etc... smooth operation and differential gear case is working fine. Impeller turns auger, and auger gear case seems fine.

Regarding the engine, It is running very rough, and wants to spit some gas back out the carb, which appears to be brand new ... It sounds like it is firing out of time, and the plug was black soot ... I will be pulling the flywheel to check the keyway, as one of the front augers is bent from what appears to be a very large stone/object ... ? I will check the ignition while I am in there as well. I also have another carb if need be.

·
Registered
3,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I was right, it was certainly out of timing ... the flywheel magnets had come loose, and sitting against the rim, surprised it even ran at all. I superglued them back in position. I am probably going to order electronic ignition while I am in there.

Ordered a new impeller bearing, and did some clean and paint. Took the tank off and the carb, was clean, but changing line while I am in there.

Also ordering a new impeller bearing, old one shot.

Taking bucet part to straighten one of the augers, and probably check out the gear case while I am there .... this way I know everything has been gone through.

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
I had the magnets come loose, even broke them, on a 12hp Wisconsin Robin pressure washer. I went to Home Depot and bought the strongest 2 part epoxy they had. They've never came loose.

·
Registered
3,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I used super glue I had on hand. ... There on there like I welded them. They certainly could have designed it better for sure. I cleaned it up good and they mated great.

Makes me want to check my other 8HP Tecumseh, the twin to this one, on one of my Ariens. I'll probably put electronic ignition on that one as well while I am in there. we'll see ..... :)

·
Registered
3,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So.... It appears that there is no electronic ignition for this 8HP setup, with the coil under the flywheel and the 2 small magnets inside the flywheel ...? I'll still look a little further ....

Anyone try maybe the Nova II module on this type of setup, thus using the coil but omitting the points and condenser on these 8HP Tecumseh with under the flywheel coil / points setup?

·
Registered
3,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
After re-attaching the magnets, looks like I'll just clean up the coil legs and check the points , as it appears no electronic for this type of setup .........

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
yep, I could not find an electronic ignition for those older points setups. Change the points and condenser and it will be fine. Note that if you remove the ignition module (??) you will have to time it against piston position, not complicated but a bit tedious.

·
Registered
3,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah, I'm not going to be touching the coil or its three legs ... just going to clean up the ends .... I am going to check the gap, but might even just leave the points and condenser the same, unless they need replacing.

Yeah, don't feel like messing with TDC and all that good stuff unless I absolutely have to. ... :)

update .... Got it cleaned , all back together ... starts right up, runs , but wants to hunt/surge often ..... very annoying ... i messed with the carb adjustments, not much help, new carb... ... I am leaning towards the points and condenser, or maybe a valve out of adjustment ... I can see why people just replace these engines with a predator, since you can not put electronic ignition in them.

Maybe I'll try new points and condenser, or maybe take that money and put it towards a Predator.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Surging is not usually associated with ignition problems. Have you checked governor adjustment and function or richened your mixtures?

·
Registered
3,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Update ... Ok, I was a bit tired yesterday, and walked away .... came back to it this morning. Let me just mention, this is the carb that was on the machine when I got it, but it appears brand new, and I did disassemble it anyways and gave it a quick check. So today I did dial in the carburetor .... also added a little extra SeaFoam in the gas to maybe assist in some additional valve cleaning, etc , just for good measure ... :)..... anyways, as the enclosed video shows, I did get it dialed in and running, but at about 35-45 seconds, you will hear it cough, cut out, and then pick right back up again. So, another little tid bit, .... when I shut it off to park it, a little dribble if gas comes out of the carb body opening by the choke butterfly .... Soooo, I certainly now am leaning towards replacing the carb that is on it .... ?

1 - 20 of 117 Posts