Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
It's interesting the engine is oriented different than we are use to.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Is it? How do you mean? On my Bobcats the pull is on the right and the shaft on the left. But mine are older B&S engines too. That one almost looks like a youngster in comparison.
On all the snowblowers I have and seen, the crankshaft exits the front and the pull cord is at the rear. The Bearcat has the crank, thus the pulleys, on the left and the pull cord on the right.

·
Banned
943 Posts
On all the snowblowers I have and seen, the crankshaft exits the front and the pull cord is at the rear. The Bearcat has the crank, thus the pulleys, on the left and the pull cord on the right.
Ah OK I get it now....

You are talking about all the machines that you see these days... I thought you meant all the Bearcats and Bobcats

Let me send you a cool link if you've never been there... it's the Gilson webpage and shows lots of historical designs that have faded into the past (except at my house) ;-)

When you get to the Bobcats and Bearcats you'll see that they are set up at 90 degrees like this one.

Instead of having what you consider to be the "normal" way of doing things (Engine - 2 pulleys - 2 belts - 90 degree gearbox at the augers)
Instead of that they have the engine pointing to the side and use belts and chains to run down the side of the machine and drive the auger AND impeller both in the SAME axis.
So now there's no need for an auger gearbox and therefore it can't break... there isn't one!!

It's an awesome design and I don't understand why it isn't still used... it must be a cost thing because this design can throw snow, ice, slush and even pure water into the outer stratosphere.
I have three of them. :)

Check out videos on google for "Bobcat" or "Bearcat"
https://www.google.com/search?q=bobcat+snowblower+videos+walk+behind&oq=bobcat+snowblower+videos+walk+behind&gs_l=psy-ab.3...12371.16819.0.17068.12.12.0.0.0.0.134.1084.6j5.11.0....0...1.1.64.psy-ab..1.10.979...0i22i10i30k1j33i22i29i30k1.0._7qpsp8MX5Q

Here's just one at random

Here's that link showing how machines were in days gone by
https://www.gilsonsnowblowers.com/snowvintage.html

Once you see that ... you'll get hooked and want one of each... guaranteed ;-)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts