Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I helped my neighbor out with the recent snow....just doing the neighborly thing.....

They dropped off a thank u card with a Benjamin Amazon Gift Card - which while is appreciate of them noticing, the thank you card is more than enough. While they had card in hand, I was already telling them I needed the excercise anyway. I was thinking it was a $20/$25 Gas Card - which they have done once before as well. Just opened the card and it's a 4X as much... How do I return the GC without making a big fuss of it. I'm not good on giving or receiving stuff...

·
Premium Member
841 Posts
You could give it to a charity or homeless shelter or someone you know who is going through tough financial times

·
Registered
775 Posts
Amazon has a charity for local businesses in your area.
Our local church is on the list here where we live.
You could get your neighbors a 'wine of the month' subscription with the $100 and not tell them.
With all the things available online these days, you could get creative and never say who gave it.
This is the best type of charity. Giving so that your right hand does not know what your left hand is doing.
In my case, every penny I have gotten for snowblowing has gone into keeping the darn snow blowed, so I am thankful for the help.

·
Registered
654 Posts
I helped my neighbor out with the recent snow....just doing the neighborly thing.....

They dropped off a thank u card with a Benjamin Amazon Gift Card - which while is appreciate of them noticing, the thank you card is more than enough. While they had card in hand, I was already telling them I needed the exercise anyway. How do I return the GC without making a big fuss of it. I'm not good on giving or receiving stuff...
Boy do I understand that situation. I do up to 26 properties as a snow angel. I really enjoy it in my retirement and am disappointed if someone does their own sidewalk sometimes and beats me to it LOL. Years ago a few neighbours told me I should start a business and they would pay to be my customers, but unless you do it on a much bigger scale the insurance is cost prohibitive. Plus, I just enjoy it. So instead they all started bringing me cookies and pies and cakes. The kicker is I am diabetic so I can't eat it, and my son has a severe nut allergy so we can't even bring the stuff into the house. Sadly it gets tossed or given away. I don't have the heart to tell them.

Most of all (for me at least) I lose the good feeling you get when for helping out if someone tries to pay it back. My ideal day snowblowing is just if no one is up yet and I get it all done without even a thank you. That makes me feel best. I remember when I was working in the downtown core and had to commute from the suburbs—every extra second in bed was a gift. We also have a lot of seniors and single moms in our neighbourhood so I hope it helps them out at a time I'm sure is already busy enough without having to worry about shovelling.

You are a great guy for helping out your neighbours—you can always spend the gift card on parts to maintain your snowblower and then you know you'll be helping even more in secret. Some people don't get this, but you probably do.

Cheers from Calgary.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
On the other half of the equation, I'd hate taking in the benji cause in my mind, I will need to do their's a few more times even if I don't want to.

I don't mind doing it if it's there is enough snowfall (me owning the machine and them not) or just tackling the EOD since we live on the right side and the plows push everything from the left and then some and it's heavy EOD. Or if the snow is wet and heavy (which it always is). But it's not like I'm doing theirs each and every time I'm out....I'll do it when I know the conditions ain't good for someone who doesn't own a machine....wet heavy snow is back breaking literally.

I don't do it cause I enjoy blowing snow (lol) - LOL, I am a user on a SBF. I'm just doing it cause I got the machine and I know it's back-breaking....

·
Registered
99 Posts
My neighbor is a young couple with young twins. They don't have a blower. Most of the time I don't blow their sidewalk (the husband could use some exercise at his young age). But if we get 6"+ I'll quickly knock out their sidewalk and end of driveway between sidewalk and street. It's time efficient for me and the most burdensome from a shoveling perspective for them. There is no gift exchange. Everything is just like I like it.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There is no gift exchange. Everything is just like I like it.
Don't jinx it now ;)
Wish I was in ur shoes. Now that I opened up this envelope and seeing this large sum GC....I really don't know what to do. Insist they take it back and possibly offend them. Keep it and pay if forward....with then the lingering that I received a GC that I now need to -pay back in more neighborly help-. Ugh. either way looks like it's not a right or wrong way out

·
Registered
89 Posts
Don't jinx it now ;)
Wish I was in ur shoes. Now that I opened up this envelope and seeing this large sum GC....I really don't know what to do. Insist they take it back and possibly offend them. Keep it and pay if forward....with then the lingering that I received a GC that I now need to -pay back in more neighborly help-. Ugh. either way looks like it's not a right or wrong way out
When warmer weather arrives/covid disappears, invite them over for a steak dinner a la fresco with that g.c. (costco?) (y)

That way you all benefit 😁

·
Premium Member
6,810 Posts
This has happened to me several times and I'm the same way. Just an old boy scout that likes to help. I always go over and thank the people and just say I wasnt expecting anything in return. I also tell them I bought dinner for wife and I to let them know the money was a nice gift.

I usuall y don't help them anymore unless they understand it is free or I'll gift the money to Boy Scouts.

·
Registered
1971-72 910962 s/n-03101 att.-910995 s/n-048006 TEC# H70-130067A s/n-1218R. #2- 10M6
181 Posts
Don't jinx it now ;)
Each of you should give what you have decided in your heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver. And it surely sounds as if you both did that not expecting anything in return. Enjoy your gift and do with it what your spirit leads you to do. Both have received a blessing and I know this doesn’t sound “manly”, but that is what the term “Love your Neighbor as yourself” means. I think it’s awesome! You care enough to help without payment, they care enough to notice your gift an want to extend the blessing back to you that’s how Love works! We don’t need to one up!
Ok today’s lesson is over!

·
Premium Member
145 Posts
Maybe you should just accept their generosity in return for your generosity. Continue what you've been doing for them, but if they should try giving you more, tell them that you never expected anything, they had already done more than enough, you felt guilty in accepting their first gift, and that while you appreciate their gesture, you cannot accept it.

I had an elder neighbor "ambush" me once by leaving a $25.00 gift certificate to a restaurant in an envelope in my mailbox. I couldn't even be there to refuse it. I didn't want to offend her, so I thanked her, but also said (in a semi joking way) that I would have to stop taking care of her driveway if she did it again. She hasn't. :)

·
Premium Member
525 Posts
Boy do I understand that situation. I do up to 26 properties as a snow angel. I really enjoy it in my retirement and am disappointed if someone does their own sidewalk sometimes and beats me to it LOL.

Cheers from Calgary.
By chance do you live nearby???? I don't want to wash my snowblower after usage any more this year 😊

·
Registered
183 Posts
Just take it and know you did a good deed for someone. Sometimes people are offended when they offer you something and you turn it down, so there's that to consider also. Years ago when I was a tech at the dealer I had a friend that owned a 98 Cobra which a shop screwed up and the bel on his new supercharger would shred and come off. I don't like to work on Ford's much but he was pretty sad looking so I figured out what he needed and they picked up the parts and with in 1.5 hours he was enjoying the car again. He offered me something but I said no that ok. He then said if you were at work what would this cost? I told him it was somewhere around $350 bucks. The next day there was a check in my mailbox for that amount and when I called his wife to have them take it back she told me that she would be devastated for me to return the money. I said why and she told me after putting 25K into the car recently $350 was like paying a $10 bill. He did let me buy him dinner though and when I asked how the steak was he said it was pretty good. I told him it should you're paying for it. LOL. He was a great guy to spar with, all my life I did free stuff for people but not so much anymore, it just seems some expect it. You did a good thing enjoy the reward know you made them happy, that's what it's all about. Sorry for my rambling.

·
Registered
180 Posts
In addition to my own I used to do 3 of my neighbors. All north of 80 y/o and all with long hilly driveways on our somewhat large suburban lots. Did at least enough for the cars to get up the driveway and get the mail w/o slipping and breaking a hip. Two were happy and would thank me when we saw each other. Bill bought me a bottle of vodka one year.

The other neighbor would immediately bring over cookies or something and then say you don't have to do it, we are ok, we have plenty of food. OK but the husband was in a wheel chair or bed ridden (never met him) and if an emergency occurred or the oil burner quit it would be a problem. So to me at the very least a couple paths up to the garage was in order.

Every time I did it she would do the same thing even though I said it was ok. Finally year three she wrote a note saying they did not want me to do it since they now hired someone to plow. I felt bad realizing it made her uncomfortable and that I had somehow forced her hand. IDK why, maybe she just didn't want to be "in my debt". To me I just always helped out and didn't expect anything at all.

Point is maybe you should talk to them. Thank them and explain you didn't expect anything and you'll do it when you can as long as they are ok with it. Most likely they are but you never know.

·
Premium Member
503 Posts
Look at it this way Mobil....If, God Forbid, You sucked up a newspaper, and blew out a gear box while doing a good deed, would the gift card be enough to cover repairs??? That can and does happen..... For every person that pays you for what they can afford, or feel the job is worth, there may be a dozen who wouldn't even acknowledge your work. Or worse, complain when you missed a storm, due to the said gear box repair. You've heard the old saying, "Shut Up and Take the Money"!

GLuck Out There. Jay

·
Registered
319 Posts
Don't jinx it now ;)
You earned it and they felt you deserved it. Nowadays people have a different perception of value based on their lifestyle and income level. Some people think 100$ is big money. Some thinks it’s dinner for 2

I receive gift cards from a neighbor who is very generous. I always thank him and enjoy them.

I also had a senior widow that I did handyman tasks for. She always insisted on paying me . The first time I told her I wouldn’t take her money she replied “ if you don’t take my money I will never ask you to do work again and I will call someone else” I thought about it and graciously accepted her generosity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 38 Posts