Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my new Toro 38757 (QZE 821) taken back by the dealer on Friday. Why? Because I had 2 different issues with it in the month I had it.

1st issue, bad scraper bar right from the start.

2nd issue, the shroud would come apart ever time I used it.

Bad Toro quality control

I contacted the dealer and sent him this video showing the shroud issue. https://vimeo.com/375932145

The dealer simply refunded my money and text me to tell me he was coming to pick up the snowblower.

Yes, he picked up instead of trying to order parts or something. He told me he’s going to exchange it, but all of my area and online is completely out of stock of the 821’s.

I talked to the distributor that sold my dealer the 821 and he has 72 on order.

Let’s make matters worse, I’m now without a snowblower, on my large corner lot, with a bunch of sidewalk and a large 3 car wide driveway, and my house faces north.

Given that I’m getting older, I’ve had open heart surgery (surgery was many years ago), physical tasks don’t agree with me much anymore.

When the snowmaster came out, I tried the 724 QXE but I didn’t like the fact that it had a bunch of trouble on compressed snow such as, tire tracks and foot prints, since it relies on the scraper to clean the concrete surface. It left about 1/2” of snow. But even if I wanted the snowmaster 824 qxe it’s out of stock as well

Toro’s quality control is not good. 2 things wrong with my brand new Toro QZE 821 within 1 month and 5 uses.

I’m at a loss right now.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
OMG so sorry for you. Is this a lack of QC or just poor design or lack of product testing and development? Gee Toro usually over tests stuff before releasing it, yikes! Maybe you can find something on the used market.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Buying something used is not going to happen.

This years Snow is the most I’ve seen this early in years. Supply and demand. I can just imagine the cost of used ones in my area.

We’ve already had 5 snows this year already.

Yes, I’m frustrated with my snowblower situation

I’m concerned with the possibility of upcoming snows without having a blower.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Honda makes a nice single stage....just saying. Better that than you put your health at risk with no blower.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
@steeve,

With having open heart surgery, and physical tasks not agreeing with you, maybe a neighbor can assist you for a small fee, or contract a service.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Can you physically tolerate using the smallest 2 stage Toro in the product line?
It will have adjustable skids to get close to the surface of the pavement.
I would ask the dealer if he could give you a price break on a 2 stage unit as you cannot be without a snow removal mule.

The larger ones will have steering brakes and will have plenty of power to kill off the END OF DRIVEWAY MONSTER to feed the moat monsters with its remains.

·
Registered
24 Posts
that sucks, especially because toro is a good known brand.

it could just be one defective product of 1000, but still.

have you considered switching to honda or ariens? the dealer support might not be there but those are good quantity machines, so you shouldn't need any parts support in the first place.

·
Read Only
871 Posts
the op is not alone as i can fully attest to how far down hill toro has fallen, my powermax now at 2 years the bucket looks like the metal had been salt brine'd before being painted, rust from under the paint on the outside looks a moon surface,

every dealer i have spoken with who sells toro agrees toro is no longer a top shelf brand .the op is lucky he got a refund, time to find another brand he can use,
ps
he's not alone with heart issues and age, i just had 2 stents installed less than 2 weeks ago ,a solid machine is a most esp with a 48 hour storm starting right now here in nwnj,

·
Registered
853 Posts
Unfortunately Toro was never known for quality. They were well known for "Cheap Throw Away" products in lawn and garden plus snow removal equipment over the past few decades.
They have much more negative than positive first hand ratings and performance of their equipment now days.
A lot of the companies have gone downhill over the past decade, they are only worried about their stockholders profits and could care less about the consumer.

·
Premium Member
5,203 Posts
Unfortunately Toro was never known for quality. They were well known for "Cheap Throw Away" products in lawn and garden plus snow removal equipment over the past few decades.
They have much more negative than positive first hand ratings and performance of their equipment now days.
A lot of the companies have gone downhill over the past decade, they are only worried about their stockholders profits and could care less about the consumer.

This is a joke, right? Toro has been around for over 100 years. You don't last that long making "cheap, throwaway products". Toro also makes some of the very finest grounds care equipment on the planet.
Your above comment is right up there with "All disk drive blowers slip". Please show your proof of those statistics too. :idisagree:
I will definitely agree with you about lots of companies quality going down hill and I will place Toro in that mix but they were never known for cheap throwaway products. Stihl has fallen off to the point I no longer buy their stuff. J.D is another one that comes to mind.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Can you physically tolerate using the smallest 2 stage Toro in the product line?
It will have adjustable skids to get close to the surface of the pavement.
I would ask the dealer if he could give you a price break on a 2 stage unit as you cannot be without a snow removal mule.

The larger ones will have steering brakes and will have plenty of power to kill off the END OF DRIVEWAY MONSTER to feed the moat monsters with its remains.
Having a 2 stage will not work in my situation.

I need something that’ll work even in the smallest snows.

I need something that can clean the surface since my house faces north and I don’t get much help from the sun melting the left over snow that a two stage would leave behind.

I want the snow cleaned as close to the pavement as possible. I live on a corner lot and have a bunch of foot traffic and don’t want the risk of someone falling.

Many years ago, I tried a 2 stage and I didn’t like the amount of snow it left.

As for EOD I’ve never had an issue with that. Plows don’t come into my neighborhood, in the rare occasion that they do, my single stages have always been able to tackle it.

A single stage has always worked well for me.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
that sucks, especially because toro is a good known brand.

it could just be one defective product of 1000, but still.

have you considered switching to honda or ariens? the dealer support might not be there but those are good quantity machines, so you shouldn't need any parts support in the first place.
I purchased a Honda hs620 several years ago, the vibration it had left my fingers tingling after I was done using it. From what I’ve read, Honda still has issues with vibration.

Over the last many years, the single stages I’ve like the best are Toro because of the features, engine sizes & the clearing of snow.

I’ve had a 621qzr (sold to buy my QZE721) which I sold to buy this poorly built 821 qze.

Like I stated, I tried the snowmaster 724qxe but what I didn’t like it’s issue with packed snow from tire tracks or foot traffic. Depending on a plastic scraper bar to clean the snow off the ground isn’t the greatest. On the snowmaster, that was when it first came out. I don’t know if they’ve changed.

At this point, I’m almost willing to try another snowmaster, or another qze 821.

I’ve had many snowblowers over the years and Toro has worked the best for me.

I plan on staying with Toro

·
Read Only
871 Posts
sorry joe

but he is right, over the last decade toro has fallen down the tubes, what used to be top of the grade machines,they are now throw away, box store grade, toro corp wants low grade high sales numbers high profit . this comes from someone who was a partner in a toro sales and service dealer.

my own 2 year old power max is full of rust , the rust popping though on the outside from under the paint area's where salt never gets is unreal, the engine?? mine seized after just 6 hours from what was blamed on a miss sized rod journal, not allowing enough clearance for oil to lube the rod, OK, toro replaced the motor , as to the rust?? i got a screw you, your on your own, new bucket alone has a MSRP of $543.00 adding in the other rusted parts makes the cost about a grand just for parts. yes i could have a dustless blaster come in and blast it for about $200.00 but they can't get at where the rust started, under where the bare metal sections are at partly welded seams even if soda was used it can't get there,

lets get down to the real world, what company isn't looking at high profits and high sales by going box store.
whats not made from poor grade imported from china items??

·
Premium Member
5,203 Posts
sorry joe

but he is right, over the last decade toro has fallen down the tubes, what used to be top of the grade machines,they are now throw away, box store grade, toro corp wants low grade high sales numbers high profit . this comes from someone who was a partner in a toro sales and service dealer.

my own 2 year old power max is full of rust , the rust popping though on the outside from under the paint area's where salt never gets is unreal, the engine?? mine seized after just 6 hours from what was blamed on a miss sized rod journal, not allowing enough clearance for oil to lube the rod, OK, toro replaced the motor , as to the rust?? i got a screw you, your on your own, new bucket alone has a MSRP of $543.00 adding in the other rusted parts makes the cost about a grand just for parts. yes i could have a dustless blaster come in and blast it for about $200.00 but they can't get at where the rust started, under where the bare metal sections are at partly welded seams even if soda was used it can't get there,

lets get down to the real world, what company isn't looking at high profits and high sales by going box store.
whats not made from poor grade imported from china items??
His statement is; "Toro was never known for quality." I disagree.

·
Registered
124 Posts
The 821 housing is lightweight plastic and perhaps not as securely attached as it could be. But, are any current blowers made to the high standards pre-Twentieth Century?

My 821 was dropped-shipped from Texas and was indeed dropped somewhere in the shipping process; the carton was stoved-in (first clue) and the metal auger housing bent. But nothing broken and I didn't feel it wasn't a big deal to straighten and reattach the plastic outer case.

For me, the most important questions are, (1) how well does it perform?, and (2) how reliable is it?

This 821 is new to me and only time will tell.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The 821 housing is lightweight plastic and perhaps not as securely attached as it could be. But, are any current blowers made to the high standards pre-Twentieth Century?

My 821 was dropped-shipped from Texas and was indeed dropped somewhere in the shipping process; the carton was stoved-in (first clue) and the metal auger housing bent. But nothing broken and I didn't feel it wasn't a big deal to straighten and reattach the plastic outer case.

For me, the most important questions are, (1) how well does it perform?, and (2) how reliable is it?

This 821 is new to me and only time will tell.
When I originally got my QZE 821 it had a bad scraper bar on it directly from the factory. I replaced it.

Then the shroud bolts being tight and the shroud still popping off everything the snow blowers used. That’s not acceptable.

I understand your questions being important to you. I agree those are very important factors, however being the QZE 821 at the time I bought it and probably still is the most expensive single stage on the market and coming with a shroud that doesn’t stay attached and a scraper bar that is defective, to me is unacceptable.

I understand and am not naive to the fact that this is a new model and they are mass produced so there might be bugs on some of the machines, however I had 2 issues on mine in 5 uses and 1 month.

On your 821 did you look at the online parts manual? It shows the wrong engine diagram for the qze 821

It shows the oil fill is a long tube that’s on Toro’s other 252cc engines, not the oil fill / check that is on the 821

Little things like wrong diagram on parts manual, the bad scraper bar on my 821 wright from the factory, and either defective shroud or missing part on the shroud just screams not much attention to detail

Is this going to keep me from trying another qze821, or buying another Toro product? Probably not.

When the supplier who sold my dealer gets the new order of QZE821’s in stock, I’m going to see if I can go down there (they don’t sell to the public, but I’ve talked with them and they know my situation) and look at the QZE 821’s and see if I can get one directly from them.

·
Registered
534 Posts
The mfgrs are all in a competition with each other, and of course other countries,"China" and we all shop for the lowest prices. I guess that most items made today, aren't made to last, or made to be repaired for the most part. Most of us can't be bothered to try and fix stuff, just buy another. I like the changalge of trying to fix stuff, to keep it going for as long as possible, just to try to beat the system. Most of the newer generations, have very good high paying jobs, but they are helpless. they don't own a shovel or a wheelbarrow . They have every trade come to do all the work. And there isn't much money left. and or high credit card bills. Sorry for the rant.
Sid

1 - 20 of 56 Posts