Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Well....at least insofar as the video demonstration shows, it looks good.:wink2:

Anything has to be an improvement over this brain-dead series of EPA mandated cans that have come out in recent years. They work so poorly, that most people end up spilling gas all over the place, which of course evaporates into the atmosphere, which is what these stupid spouts were supposed to prevent happening in the first place! They are also virtually impossible to use, when gassing up a small piece of power equipment like a chainsaw or trimmer. :icon_cussing_black:

Of course, years ago we solved this problem with a highly technical device known as a screw on "spout"....but the EPA of course, knew better, and recognized the threat that we were to the planet..... :facepalm_zpsdj194qh

·
Banned
474 Posts
Best on the market IMO.

·
Premium Member
4,915 Posts
Well....at least insofar as the video demonstration shows, it looks good.:wink2:

Anything has to be an improvement over this brain-dead series of EPA mandated cans that have come out in recent years. They work so poorly, that most people end up spilling gas all over the place, which of course evaporates into the atmosphere, which is what these stupid spouts were supposed to prevent happening in the first place! They are also virtually impossible to use, when gassing up a small piece of power equipment like a chainsaw or trimmer. :icon_cussing_black:

Of course, years ago we solved this problem with a highly technical device known as a screw on "spout"....but the EPA of course, knew better, and recognized the threat that we were to the planet..... :facepalm_zpsdj194qh

couldn't have said it better. that's why i pick up the old style gas jugs at garage sales. don't tell "the man" on me

·
Registered
749 Posts
I like the old timey five gallon plastic gas jugs with the screw on cap found at any motorcycle dealer.

·
Retired Moderator
9,900 Posts
I had the neck break on my old can and for the life of me couldn't find a decent replacement due to the EPA. I rarely pass a tree I don't hug but that regulation mandating these new spouts IMHO is for the birds. Gas is expensive and I'm careful with my equipment. I think I've spilled more with this new Midwest can and spill proof neck than the old basic cans I've used all my life. I understand what they were trying to do and maybe it works on the one and two and a half gallon cans but it's a pain trying to hold a five gallon can on the lip of the tank to keep it open and it pours much slower as it has to burp since there isn't a vent.
This is one I don't think they managed to get right by a long shot.

Attachments

·
Registered
827 Posts
I agree with Kiss. I'm concerned about the environment and try very hard never to spill gas or oil. The spill-proof type spouts may work on 1 or 2 gallon cans, but are ungainly on the larger ones. I have 4 or 5 of the simple spout and vent cans that I picked up at garage sales, cleaned out (important) and put to use. I prefer the 2 gallon ones.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I gave up on spill proof as I got older. I have two larger cans and now with shoulder and muscle issues I can't lift them anyways without shaking and spilling. I opted for one of those battery powered gas pumps with the long necks that you insert to the can and can then fill your tank using a flexible hose. Since I have done this I've had almost no spillage. I won't go back to pouring again.

·
Registered
267 Posts
.... I think I've spilled more with this new Midwest can and spill proof neck than the old basic cans I've used all my life. I understand what they were trying to do ...This is one I don't think they managed to get right by a long shot.

Agree with you wholeheartedly about a responsibility to the environment, as I think most of these good folks here would.

But insofar what they were trying to do, I'm not not sure the motivation in DC is to always to do what's best, but more an attitude of "just do something....so we can say we did something".

Excessive, often self-defeating regulation, ostensibly in the interest of saving the environment, has led to a series of mandates leading to unintended consequences.

1) The original low-volume flush toilets were a disaster for anyone that bought them. It could take 3 or 4 flushes to accomplish the task.

2)Those goofy curly-cew CFL bulbs that took 5 minutes to warm up, often emitted annoying high pitch noises, and infrared pulses that would interfere with your home electronics remote controls, and which contained enough mercury, that prompted some states to recommend calling a haz-mat team, should one break in your house, were another example.

3) Then the mandate for ethanol. Make no mistake, ethanol is a decent fuel, (works great in Indycars...:wink2:), but it costs too much to make it here in America because we use corn---and we all know the problems it causes for power equipment.

4) Then there was the re-formulation of gasoline so that certain compounds would break down quicker in the environment, should there be a spill. Unfortunately, it also meant gasoline would be junk after about 40 days after you buy it.

5) So called "high efficiency" washing machines, that use so little water in some of the settings that you have to make sure that your clothes at least got wet during the process.

Where is the common sense when it comes to these mandates?

I could cite many more examples, but the point is: Many times the people making the decisions about regulatory mandates are people motivated by politics, and not common sense. This is why mandates that come from the feds, and not your local state government should be created sparingly, as you could no longer just move to another state, if you don't like the mandates. Those who know their American history also know it was never intended to work this way.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
I use the EZ-Pour Hi-Flo replacement spout. The kit converts crappy spring loaded spouts to usable spouts. The kit also comes with a vent that is easy to install.

Attachments

·
Registered
471 Posts
I could cite many more examples, but the point is: Many times the people making the decisions about regulatory mandates are people motivated by politics, and not common sense. This is why mandates that come from the feds, and not your local state government should be created sparingly, as you could no longer just move to another state, if you don't like the mandates. Those who know their American history also know it was never intended to work this way.

You hit most of my pet peeves, except maybe for those continuous roll commercial toilet paper dispensers that are purposely low to the floor and force you to pull it out in a long string to get enough. But I'm afraid we'll start a poor-design thread that would never end. I'm turning into my dad who used to say, "Just stop at common sense and don't overthink it."

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I use the EZ-Pour Hi-Flo replacement spout. The kit converts crappy spring loaded spouts to usable spouts. The kit also comes with a vent that is easy to install.

I got my No-Spill can yesterday and it will work great. I like the push button vent and pouring.

I think I will also pick up one of these EZ-Pour spout replacements to salvage my 4 older gas cans.

Thanks.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Zavie,
I've looked at those but haven't bought any yet because I was skeptical of the threads on the replacement spouts. There are so many different types of older plastic gas cans out there, and I wondered whether or not the threads on the jugs were somewhat standardized. I've got a bunch of useless (in my opinion) gas jugs, so I didn't want to end up adding some useless spouts to the collection.....:smiley-whacky017:

Of course, I have so many versions of gas cans as they have evolved down through the years, that I could probably set up a gas can museum.....:devil:

So I suppose I should stop being such a cheapskate, and just go buy one of these kits as I'm bound to find an old can that will fit, and might be able to put some of these ill-conceived cans to good use:wink2:

·
Registered
267 Posts
I'm turning in to my dad who used to say, "Just stop at common sense and don't overthink it."

Calgary,

Sometimes the most sage advice is the advice that is elegant in its simplicity, like your Dad's quote.....:thumbsup:

It ranks right up there with whomever first coined the phrase that "common sense is just not so common anymore"......:wink2:

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
The kit comes with 2 different threaded caps. One is a fine thread and the other is course. With as many cans as you have one should work out. IMHO any new can that has a spout with some kind of spring or over complicated push pull then twist sequence is destined so be a spiller-leaker anyway.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts