Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a toro snowblower thats been sitting for a few years.Trying to get it going.Pulled carb really dirty.Took it apart and cleaned the best I could.Put new fuel line in and plug and oil.Will start for few seconds with starting fulid but thats it.I think carb is shot so I ordered a new one.Do you think the new carb will do the trick.

·
Registered
346 Posts
More than likely the new carb will give it new life. Sounds to be fuel related anyway

·
Registered
792 Posts
More than likely, your old carb is still good. When they're really dirty, it's not unusual that it take more than one cleaning to revive them. If there's a lot of whitish corrosion inside, well, it's not going to be worth the effort. MH

·
Retired Moderator
4,160 Posts
When you cleaned it were you sure to get the 3 little holes in the end of the bolt holding the bowl to the carb?

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
If you ordered a new carb I am sure it will be fine. Remember that some service carbs come without the choke plate and shaft and have to be swapped over.

For future carb cleaning info, did you remove the welch plugs on the carb to clean behind them? If a non adjustable emissions carb after you pulled the brass nut for the bowl and cleaned the holes did you pull the emulsion tube that is in the center up in the carb? There are small holes in that one as well. also its a must to change the fuel needle AND the rubber seat under it.

I think the new carb will work out just fine. Stick up a post how you make out. If it is an adjustable carb and need a hand adj it. let us know a lot of guys here will help you out.

·
Registered
153 Posts
while you are waiting on new carb. check your gas cap to see if the vent hole is plugged.if the vent hole is not open it will not let gas to the carb. gayland

·
Super Moderator
6,669 Posts
also while waiting on the new carb clean the gunk out of the gas tank other wise it will end up in your clogged new carb

·
Registered
15 Posts
Ditto with the fuel filter. If it's clogged, well, no fuel for you.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok I have a foot of snow.Carb wont be here till Fri.Just want to get this going.Got a rebuild kit for carb.Got it start but wont stay running when I open choke.I dont want to pick up the shovel yet.Any thoughts? Thanks Bob

·
Retired Moderator
4,160 Posts
Is the carb adjustable? If it is try opening the screw on the bottom a bit. If not you might have to try cleaning it again.

You can check for carb cleaning videos here in case maybe you are missing something.
donyboy73 - YouTube

·
Banned
144 Posts
Did you soak the carb overnight or for an extended period of time? When carbs are fouled bad or oxidized from the fuel bowl being filled with water. They will require soaking. I use Gunk or Berryman Chem Dip Parts Cleaner. Both work about the same. Make sure blow out the entire carb with compressed air and some spray carb cleaner after soaking. Spray out all the openings and jets and anywhere you can get the spray nozzle and it looks like there might be an air/fuel passage spray it. You should replace the old brass float with a modern plastic one.....Your jets have an approx setting of 1.25-1.50 turns out from closed or all the way in. Your engine will tell you where it needs to be set. If you go way beyond 1.75 turns out you have some type of fouling in your jets/carb.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well I got it going!!!running good.But now I need belts.Auger belt really stretched out.Easy fix.At least i got it running.Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well new carb,belts,plug,gas cap and oil change.This snowblower sat under my pool deck for 7 years it was giving to me.Its a 25 year old mach.I was going to junk it and just buy a new one but I figured lets see if I could get it going.So with the help I got from this forum.It runs great.So Thank You Very much!!!

·
Registered
248 Posts
Ditto with the fuel filter. If it's clogged, well, no fuel for you.
i thought there were no fuel filters on snow blower engines. when i bought my machine i noticed there was no filter and i figured it wouldnt hurt to put a little in line filter but before i did i called briggs and they said fuel filters freeze and cause problems on snowblowers

·
Retired Moderator
4,160 Posts
i thought there were no fuel filters on snow blower engines. when i bought my machine i noticed there was no filter and i figured it wouldnt hurt to put a little in line filter but before i did i called briggs and they said fuel filters freeze and cause problems on snowblowers
Most don't have fuel filters, but they do have a little screen in the bottom of the tank that covers the opening to the fuel line.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
I feel fuel filters are a good idea. I understand Briggs point but it would have to be ridiculously cold before the gas freezes.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Gas don't freeze. Propane and diesel jells. What you find is small amounts of ice in your gas. If you use a large funnel during a raging blizzard, some snow will be introduced.
Any gas can that is never poured out completely will gain water in it from simple cooling and warming of the air going in and out over a year. It ain't much but at -30 that little bit of ice has killed many a motorist. Always have alcohol on hand. A tiny amount of alcohol in a gas can keeps the ice away. Today a lot of gas comes with alcohol in the mix.
I remember years ago we'd swish the gas can in winter. If you heard a rattling sound that was ice in your gas can. They had felt screened funnels at one time that filtered out water.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts