Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Craftsman Eager-1 3.5 hp 2 stage snowblower that I picked up for $20.00. Got it home, and thoroughly cleaned the carburetor which was green inside from bad gas. I got a new carb kit, replaced the bowl gasket, new needle and washer for the bowl jet. I also drained all the gas in the tank. I did not replace the spark plug.

I added gas from my lawnmower gas can (mind you this is gas from early in the summer....)Hit the primer a few times, and On the first pull, I got it to cough. Second, third, and fourth pulls it ran for about 3-5 seconds and stalled. Then nothing on every other pull from that point on.

So I looked at the spark plug, and it was black with soot. Went to the store and got a new one. Installed the new plug. Several pulls and still nothing.

So I'm wondering what the issue could be...? I looked in the gas tank, and saw some debris. I'm wondering of some of the debris may have worked its way to the carburetor? Do I need to tear apart the carburetor again and clean it again?

I'm just lost cuz I got it to run (if only briefly) but now it won't turn over at all. Maybe I added bad gas...I don't know. Thoughts?

IMG_2259.jpg

IMG_2260.jpg

IMG_2261.jpg

·
Retired Moderator
4,160 Posts
You can drop the carb bowl fairly easily to check if anything is dirty in there. Did you replace the fuel line? Those can start to rot from the inside and leave little pieces of rubber in the carb.

Check for spark first. Just pull the plug out and hold it against the engine with the wire connected.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll do that in the am. No I did not replace the fuel line. Though I'm sure it needs done. Any other ideas for troubleshooting?

·
Retired Moderator
4,160 Posts
Engines need 3 things to run. Fuel, compression and spark. Compression can sort of be felt while pulling the rope. Spark is easy to check with the plug out. Fuel can be tested by spraying some gas in the choke or dumping some down the plug hole.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just verified I have spark. And I can feel the compression. must be the fuel - I'll pull the bowl, and look into a new fuel line as mentioned. thx

·
Retired Moderator
4,160 Posts
Pull the plug and pour a tiny bit of gas down the hole, put it back together and pull the starter. If it sputters and runs a few seconds you have a carb problem.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
you the man Shryp! added some gas, and it sputtered right out. Gotta get that carb apart again. Which sux cuz it wasn't all that easy to put back together. Oh welll...thanks again

·
Retired Moderator
4,160 Posts
You can pull the bowl off the carb without removing the carb from the engine. Also, did you set the adjustment needles correctly? It might just need a bit of an adjustment. The main jet on the bottom is suppose to be around 1.5 - 2 turns out and the idle jet on the side is suppose to be 1 - 1.5 turns out. Somewhere around there should get her running and then you can play with them to get it right.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok. So I replaced the fuel line. I replaced the primer line. I cleaned all the debris from the gas tank. I cleaned the carburetor a second time (there was some trash in it again). I confirmed that I have spark. I can feel compression. The issue MUST be fuel RIGHT?

Now, ...I have a different set of issues. When I pull the starter cord, there is a loud squealing sound coming from the engine I think. That was NOT there yesterday when I got the machine to cough by adding a bit of gas in the spark plug hole. When I remove the spark plug, there is no squealing sound. Only when the spark plug is screwed in.

There are three issues that I noticed today:
1. There appears to be quite a bit of old oil/grease in all areas of the machine. Not sure if that is due to an oil leak somewhere, or if the previous owner just never cleaned the unit.

2. When I reassembled the carburetor today, and hooked up the lines and added gas, I noticed that gas began to pour out of the bowl. So I tightened the bowl jet further, and I'm pretty sure that stopped the leak. But I wonder if I flooded the bowl somehow?

3. The above mentioned squealing sound

Anyway, here is a brief video of the issues I'm having:

·
Super Moderator
9,891 Posts
Just to get the terminology correct. You are getting it to turn over every time you pull the cord. "Turning over" is the term for the internals of the engine to actually turn. Has nothing to do with it firing or running.

Down at the bottom of the engine should be a plug. You remove the plug and the oil should be almost up to the top.

Please make sure you have oil. See page 5 - > http://www.tecumsehpower.com/CustomerService/OperatorManuals/pdf/181-789-14.pdf

I'm still playing the video trying to figure out what that sounds like.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK. So I know for sure I've done something wrong with how I've assembled the carb bowl. I've replaced the bowl gasket. I'm near 100% certain I have a good seal with the bowl and gasket. The issue appears to be with the main jet...

So here is what happens...as soon as gas fills the bowl, gas starts to leak. The leak stops when I turn the bowl screw completely tight. Once I start to loosen the screw (one and a half times as recommended...) the gas starts leaking out of the bowl.

So perhaps I have something wrong with how I reassembled the bowl / jet? On the outside of the bowl, flush against the bottom of the bowl is where I placed the paper washer. That paper washer goes over the threaded portion of the jet, and against the fixed nut of the jet. I then turn the jet so it is flush against the bowl and creating a seal against the bottom of the bowl. With the bowl adjustment screw completely tight, I then proceed to turn the adjustment screw counterclockwise 1 1/2 times. Immediately gas begins to pour out....

Is there something wrong with how I reassembled the carb?

ugh...

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just to get the terminology correct. You are getting it to turn over every time you pull the cord. "Turning over" is the term for the internals of the engine to actually turn. Has nothing to do with it firing or running.

Down at the bottom of the engine should be a plug. You remove the plug and the oil should be almost up to the top.

Please make sure you have oil. See page 5 - > http://www.tecumsehpower.com/CustomerService/OperatorManuals/pdf/181-789-14.pdf

I'm still playing the video trying to figure out what that sounds like.

Thank you for clarification. I suppose I can indeed get it to turn over. I can not get it to fire. I will add more oil.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Can you confirm that you reinstalled the rubber o-ring for the main jet. Also, is it possible that the float on the carb was knocked out of adjustment cause the bowl to overfill?

·
Super Moderator
9,891 Posts
Did you replace the needle and seat when you cleaned the carb ??

Did you remove the float from the carb when you cleaned it ??

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I thoroughly cleaned the float. Did not replace the seat.

I'm not sure if we are talking the same thing or not about the "O" ring. But my carburetor kit included a washer that appears to be made of some kind of paper-ish material. Perhaps it is rubber - not sure. But I have that placed against the bottom of the exterior of the bowl around the bowl opening for the jet. That "O" ring surrounds the threaded portion of the main jet and also lays flush against the fixed nut of the jet.

I doubt that the needle is out of adjustment

·
Registered
87 Posts
That washer you are describing is correctly installed as per your explanation. It is a 'flat' washer, not an o-ring. But, when you unscrew the main jet out of the fixed nut part there should also be an o-ring (and metal flat washer i think) placed above the jet's spring. Sounds like you're missing that o-ring.

Also, unless I've skimmed some posts it sounds like you're using gas from the early summer. Go get fresh gas before attempting another start. Bad gas is a huge prime suspect of no-start.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That washer you are describing is correctly installed as per your explanation. It is a 'flat' washer, not an o-ring. But, when you unscrew the main jet out of the fixed nut part there should also be an o-ring (and metal flat washer i think) placed above the jet's spring. Sounds like you're missing that o-ring.

Also, unless I've skimmed some posts it sounds like you're using gas from the early summer. Go get fresh gas before attempting another start. Bad gas is a huge prime suspect of no-start.

Yes, I've poured in fresh gas. No more stale gas...

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Donyboy is awesome. I've learned so much from his vids. I'll take a look at that little rubber "O" ring on the spring side of the jet screw. Maybe that is it.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts