Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my first snowblower for my own residential removal, and maybe help out the old man. Snow blowers are not very common around here but my fear is that if I clear my driveway before going to work I might get some noise complaints from the neighbors. I would imagine that under a blanket of snow the noise is muffled somewhat but the blower is definitely louder than my lawnmower and I wouldn't dream of running it at that time, or do your neighbors understand it's kind of required?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Can you talk to them prior to the first use?

Can you run it now, look like you are trying it out, see if you get any complaints. If you neighbors stare at you with a frown, maybe not so good.

Once the snow comes, and you have the only machine, you may have some new BEST friends.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can you talk to them prior to the first use?

Can you run it now, look like you are trying it out, see if you get any complaints. If you neighbors stare at you with a frown, maybe not so good.

Once the snow comes, and you have the only machine, you may have some new BEST friends.

That is sort of what I have been doing, I actually have tried it out a bit to get used to the controls and break it in at all different throttle levels,

So far so good(no frowns) but to me they just seem quite loud.

Does anyone else run theirs first thing in the am? how is it recieved?

·
Registered
143 Posts
What do you call "early"?
It is not at all uncommon for me or others in the neighborhood to start at 6:00 AM.
Actually, I never really notice the others when they are out there before me.
Snow plows down the street, snow blowers in the driveways, just part of winter.
I have never heard a comment about me or anyone else.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What do you call "early"?
It is not at all uncommon for me or others in the neighborhood to start at 6:00 AM.
Actually, I never really notice the others when they are out there before me.
Snow plows down the street, snow blowers in the driveways, just part of winter.
I have never heard a comment about me or anyone else.
About 6am was what I would have to blow at to still get to work on time.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I have been out as early as 4:30 am snowblowing. Here in New Hampshire, we are used to clearing snow so we can get to work. Everyone just takes it in stride just like mowing the lawn in the summer.
Zeddy, where are you from? Doesn't say under your name.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have been out as early as 4:30 am snowblowing. Here in New Hampshire, we are used to clearing snow so we can get to work. Everyone just takes it in stride just like mowing the lawn in the summer.
Zeddy, where are you from? Doesn't say under your name.
It's not as common here thats why I was worried about the complaints, I'm in Abbotsford BC Canada, which is about an hour from downtown Vancouver. Or about 150 miles north of Seattle.

We have some years where we don't really get any snow(like this year for the Olympics, they had to truck it in) and other years where it is piled 6+ feet high on either side of the driveway. One year I went skiing on the same mtn as they had the Olympic snowboard events, in July! Then went water skiing in the afternoon, just to say I could!

·
Registered
68 Posts
if you r in an area of not many snowblower neighbors and generally quite conditions you might get a couple of odd looks from neighbors...maybe. In a 2"plus snow i start my big 2 stage up at 4:30 am, but only for two passes on the street where i have already made a berm from shoveling/pushing with my 4' wide hand pusher. so yea i start it up early but only for a miniute to clear the berm and throw the blower back in the garage and finish when i get home from work .I also help the neighbors out a lot with grass cutting tree trimming etc.etc.. I'm in a middle class neighborhood.not a lot of kids, a few retirees etc.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well I'm not going to shovel so we will see what happens!

·
Registered
34 Posts
It's not as common here thats why I was worried about the complaints, I'm in Abbotsford BC Canada, which is about an hour from downtown Vancouver. Or about 150 miles north of Seattle.

We have some years where we don't really get any snow(like this year for the Olympics, they had to truck it in) and other years where it is piled 6+ feet high on either side of the driveway. One year I went skiing on the same mtn as they had the Olympic snowboard events, in July! Then went water skiing in the afternoon, just to say I could!
A side note:
We visited Seattle, Vancouver and drove up to Whistler in August, 2008.
At the base of the mountain there were downhill mountain bikes everywhere! We went to the top, 7,000 + some odd feet. The snow was there then. The view was beautiful.

In Seattle one may think of the weather as rainy and dreary but it was 75*+/- and partly cloudy everyday except for one when there was just a little rain. I highly recommend the "Underground City Tour".
We had a great time.

Now, back to SB talk!:D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts