Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone knows where I can find a belly pan for my Noma snowblower. I tried the Murray sight but couldn't find it. It's a Noma performance model #627104 X8

·
Super Moderator
2,686 Posts
Belly pans

Suprz

I don't know what yours looks like but I've made 3 or 4 so far for some snowblowers. If it's simply a matter of some bending, drilling and cutting then the things you need is some metal, some metal shears, a drill or metal punch and something to do the bending on (I use 2 piecs of angle iron and some clamps. All the ones I've made simply screw onto the bottom of the snowblower. If yours needs hooks, you may need to use some heavier metal than I did.

I use some cardboard like in shoeboxes to mock it up, get my shape and where to do the bends plus the holes. I found that material for heat ducts works fine for the ones I've made. Doesn't have to be heavy, just keep the snow out so almost any gauge metal works and one piece of ducting will make 3 or 4 skidpans. I trace the pattern onto the metal with a Sharpee marker. Cut it out with the shears to size and punch the holes for the screws. I then sandwich the metal between the angle iron and clamp it to a bench. I then push a piece of straight wood against the metal to start the bend. I finish it off with the wood on top and tapping down with a hammer.

It's worked pretty good for me (just made on this week as a matter of fact), add a little paint and screw it on. You might have to use a rattail file to adjust a hole or two. In the case of Murrays, they most likely bolt on with 10-24 screws, 1/2" long works well.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply, by the looks of the blower its been without a belly pan for a while.... I was hoping I wouldn't have to make one, The front of the pan i think locks into some sort of clips...( there is still one attached to the blower) I guess I gotta get the tin snips out...

·
Super Moderator
2,686 Posts
skidpans

Here's a picture of one I made. The other was a bent up original pre-repair. Wasn't that hard to do. I like to overbend the angles a little, then when it's screwed down it pulls in tight.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I got another question.....how do I fix a small crack in the gas tank? It is right on the seam in the middle of the plastic tank when there is more than half a tank of gas it just slightly "weeps" out ....I was thinking some JB weld ?

·
Super Moderator
2,686 Posts
Leaky tank

I got another question.....how do I fix a small crack in the gas tank? It is right on the seam in the middle of the plastic tank when there is more than half a tank of gas it just slightly "weeps" out ....I was thinking some JB weld ?
If you can clean up the crack, maybe undercut it a little with a die grinder and (this is the stinker - I haven't checked this one) JB Weld doesn't come apart if gas is exposed to it, then I think you'd be ok.
You can also pick up another used tank. I've swapped the big and little ones before without a problem.
I picked up something the other month I'm waiting to try. It's basically an electric soldering iron for repairing plastic bumper covers on cars. Comes with some plastic rods that are supposed to be melted into rips, tears etc in the bumper covers. I was thinking it might work for something like this, but haven't tried it. Now a small engine gastank is like a car tank. Don't try using anything hot on it with gas in it, fumes present etc. Might have a tendency to explode at the wrong time otherwise. :eek:

Let us know what you do and how it works. Whatever you do though, be careful and safe.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks I will give JB weld a try and let ya know ....I don't want to put to much into this bear.before the first snow .....I want to make sure she will ber ok cause by the looks of her she has been neglected. But I must say she is looking alot better than when I brought her home

·
Super Moderator
2,686 Posts
Putting them back into action

This is nothing compared to some of the woodworking equipment I've seen returned from the dead to operation. When you've seen some of the 19th century machinery that people have brought back, now that's unbelievable. A snowblower is not that complicated when you peel the sheetmetal back. When you get it back from that, most of the remainder is common parts: bushings, bearings, gears etc. Even if yours hasn't been made for some time, it's likely that wear parts are available somewhere or another as long as you can track them down.

My Searasaurus is a combination of a couple of machines. I took parts from one and combined them with parts from another to make a machine that works for me. I think the auger on mine was made 10-15 after the tractor unit was. It fits together and works, now I'm just waiting for enough snow to de-virginize it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am also waiting patiently for the first big storm! With my bad back a snowblower is a necessity. I have a small MTD single stage for the walks but this noma is for the pile at the end of the driveway...... It is actually fun to tell the wife that I have to have both blowers....of course due.to medical reasons.......hehehe

·
Super Moderator
2,686 Posts
Snowblowers

It is actually fun to tell the wife that I have to have both blowers....of course due.to medical reasons.......hehehe
Technically I have 1 single stage and 6 two stage snowblowers at the moment. The single and 2 of the two stages I plan to keep. I sold 1 two stage already, 2 are spoken for and 2 left yet for sale. If she gives you too hard a time, tell her you could always get a few more :eek:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts