Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just curious if the people that use non-ethanol fuel in their machines also additionally add some type of fuel treatment or stabilizer such as Stabil, StarTron, Seafoam, etc. And if so, why?

Reason why I ask is I run non-ethanol premium (without additive) and have never had a problem.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
i run ethanol free with no additives also. never had an issue. it does seem to loose its flammability with age but doesn't clog up the fuel system just like you see on project farms video.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I run Ethanol fuel in the Snow Blower as that is what we have. The Yami is 20 years old, I also never have had an issue. Modern machines are designed for ethanol.

I also never have run fuel stabilizer in anything. The only reasons you would want to or need to is very warm storage of fuel for long periods of time. Blower kept in a pretty warm garage and or fuel stored over a long hot summer (maybe) .

We don't usually have that hot or extended temps even in the summer. We did have 6 weeks of 80 plus this last summer, blower is perfectly happy with that fuel from the common fuel can used for the lawn mower and blower.

The only area I have seen Ethanol have an impact is my side car cycle, drops 4 mpg as soon as it sees a fill of that. I can live with it for the limited amount of winter miles I run.

Some really old machines, pre 88 or so might have an issue with it seals and gaskets and hoses. I ran a 70s Bronco on it until 2005 with zero issues.

This is an area you can't prove a negative as it were. You don't have an identical blower you just ran ethanol fuel in to compare.

I have only seen issues in float bowls /fuel systems that were allowed to evaporate and you wound up with the varnish (and one fuel tank) - dissolve that crud into gas and you do have issues. Nothing to do with Ethanol or preservative.

One problem with a cycle that I drained the fuel out of, O ring leaked until it swelled up again. Kept it full of fuel and no problem as it stayed swelled up. Not an ethanol or preservative issue either.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Just curious if the people that use non-ethanol fuel in their machines also additionally add some type of fuel treatment or stabilizer such as Stabil, StarTron, Seafoam, etc. And if so, why?

Reason why I ask is I run non-ethanol premium (without additive) and have never had a problem.
Power equipment can get issues from gasoline for 3 reasons: oxidation, stale gasoline, and phase separation. While using ethanol free gasoline will avoid phase separation, the other two (oxidation and stale gasoline) can still occur. Oxidation results in sludge and gum build-up and products like Sea Foam can't stop oxidation but can reduce the sludge and gum build-up. Finally, many people believe stale gasoline can be restored by treatment, but not me. The best way to avoid stale gasoline is to use it up fairly quickly - 3 months.

·
Read Only
871 Posts
when one takes the time to read the machine or auto's owners manual ,one finds with the exception of flex fuel motors,that can run on e85 or even pure ethanol, the manufacturer states the fuel system is made to handle what is the most common e10 gasoline, or 10% ethanol with out problems. newer specs being pushed and coming are for e15% ,which will cause more problems in older machines and auto's ,

what gets affected are the parts in the fuel system being the brown plastic floats, float needle and hoses, the ethanol tends to break down the rubber almost as if.it was being melted.
does it affect fuel consumption? YES, does it reduce emissions? the feds and state of California say yes. but what can we do? nothing politicians and a few other groups are the only winners .

something else few seem to not know about, is the ethanol is NOT blended into the fuel when refined, it is added to the tanker truck tank when the driver loads up. when inputting the load, they are getting say 3.000 gallons. they input 2.700 gas 300 ethanol, "10%" if working legitimate, it is easy to double the ethanol making the station more money per gallon that if they cut a deal with a bad driver, or use their own tankers to load multiple stations ,

hence why ope manufacturers make the service dealer check the content of the fuel in the tank of a machine before making repairs , when we ran the shop ,we many times found ethanol as high as 30% a few times which had caused a almost right away seizing of pistons in 2 stroke machines

as to storing e free gas, i add stabil regardless to the 91 that i can get . it' to me is a cheap insurance for a can that may sit for a few months during winter time when i don't use a lot from mowing lawns,trimming and cutting trees into firewood . plus running 91 the machines do seem to run a lot smoother.

·
Registered
266 Posts
does it reduce emissions? the feds and state of California say yes. but what can we do? nothing politicians and a few other groups are the only winners .
And that pesky environment.

No one really doubts E-10 exists, not because of politicians, but because E-10 burns more cleanly than E-0 since alcohol burns cleaner than gasoline. And, although, ethanol production creates some pollution, the net benefit is clear.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I'm a big fan of Star Tron as a cleaner since I've seen it work first hand and add it every time I fill my gas can to keep things clean. I add red sta-bil to keep it fresh even though I use E0.

·
Premium Member
4,799 Posts
all I know is that since using E=Free gas I have no problems starting my blowers, generators, lawnmowers, etc. after a layoff and don't have to clean out carbs.

i think some stabilizer/seafoam is cheap insurance. have used Gumout in gas to smooth out several rough running Honda's within 20-30 minutes.

It's a beautiful thing.

·
Registered
112 Posts
85 octane E10 no additives and never had a single issue in 30 years running small engines.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Ethanol helps to cut down on Carbon Monoxide emissions = CO, but it does increase the Carbon Dioxide emissions = CO2, CO2 is the greenhouse gas that everyone thinks causes global warming.
Ethanol is also a strong solvent, like a cleaning solvent found in most fuel system cleaners, which many are alcohol based.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Ethanol helps to cut down on Carbon Monoxide emissions = CO, but it does increase the Carbon Dioxide emissions = CO2, CO2 is the greenhouse gas that everyone thinks causes global warming.
Ethanol is also a strong solvent, like a cleaning solvent found in most fuel system cleaners, which many are alcohol based.
Ethanol is used as an octane boost and an Oxydizer to help create Oxygenated fuel.
Naptha is a big ingredient in a lot of chemicals used to treat gasoline. A main ingredient an Star-Tron and Stabil.

·
Premium Member
278 Posts
I use 91 octane ethanol-free fuel with Sta-Bil added to all of our gas engines (but not motor vehicles).
I do have a few bottles of Star Tron and Sea Foam that I'll transition to once I deplete my remaining supply of Sta-Bil.

I think Star Tron and Sea Foam offer more capabilities than Sta-Bil.

·
Premium Member
278 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,799 Posts
Hmm....I just noticed Gumout's "Tune Up" product is only $3.33 per 16oz. can on Amazon. At least reading the specs and reviews, it seems as good as Sea Foam at less than half the cost.

Thanks for the tip, orangputeh; I'll give it a try!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PP4J23W/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
wally world has the same stuff as gumout under a generic brand .

but be careful to not use too much as I have read it can eat rubber and plastic parts over time. i use it sparingly so far the last couple years and have not seen any adverse results.

·
Registered
446 Posts
The old carbs (which weren't made for it) seem to do better than many of the newer carbs.. Some of the newer carbs have no problems while others do.
The purity of the materials or perhaps a coating that is no longer on some of the carbs is to blame..However the problem is real.
Here is a video of what the alcohol does to aluminum..While it is worst case scenarios yes...we can see that with 'straight' gas there won't be any issues.

Sent from my LM-Q710.FG using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 60 Posts