Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My belief every snowblower should have two Zerk fittings equally spaced apart. I'm amazed when some don't have any.

When you have only one (on one side), the grease does not travel to the far end, this is why there should be two.

Zerk fittings can be pressed in or threaded in (tapped and screwed in). However in many cases the material has to be thick enough to allow threads to be made which is not the case with augers. Thus you can try banging them in, but some type of glue, fastener, may be necessary to hold them, possibly Super Glue? Epoxy? Any suggestions?

If you don't want to install a Zerk fitting, I suggest buying a needle nose tip for your grease gun, drilling a small hole, and squirting grease in. However the hole has to be small enough that the needle tip fits tightly not allowing escape of the grease. Any water, snow, I consider to be inconsequential as the grease will protect and dispell, plus the auger turns removing rust. I don't see how an auger can rust on a snowblower if used every year, add the grease as protection, seems impossible.I

Thank you.

·
Super Moderator
2,668 Posts
No disagreement on the need for zerks. I've thought for a while (though I haven't acted on it) to find some weld on bungs to thread in zerks. Just never found the right ones or the time to do it.

·
Registered
102 Posts
If you don't want to install a Zerk fitting, I suggest buying a needle nose tip for your grease gun, drilling a small hole, and squirting grease in. However the hole has to be small enough that the needle tip fits tightly not allowing escape of the grease. Any water, snow, I consider to be inconsequential as the grease will protect and dispell, plus the auger turns removing rust. I don't see how an auger can rust on a snowblower if used every year, add the grease as protection, seems impossible.I

Thank you.
Grease gun for a chain saw bar is custom made for this type of application. Check it out.

·
Premium Member
463 Posts
Although goofy looking, the larger grease fittings are 1/4 x 28 tpi....... I've used a 1/4" nut, fine thread as a 'Bung'. then grind concave (convex??) profile on the underside to weld to the augers. little bit of overkill, but functional.

Jay

1 - 4 of 4 Posts