Snowblower Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I have a 920014 (version with cast-iron gear box) and noticed that the auger pulley seemed to have a wobble when running.

With the engine stopped there seems to be some play in the impeller shaft (forward/back movement, not side to side).

How much play, if any, is normal? What are the usual suspects for excessive play? It is hard to interpret the parts list, but I really do not see anything outside of the gear box that controls front to back movement?

TIA
Seth

·
Premium Member
1,279 Posts
I have seen some front to back movement in other brands and it never seemed to be a problem. I have never seen a spec from any manufacturer. Based on what you are reporting I would be more concerned about the wobble in the pulley. Is the pulley bent or the shaft may have some run out. It may not be much but worth understanding better. I am curious to hear what others may have to share. I am not as experienced as many here with your machine.

·
Registered
6,068 Posts
I know on the JD 826 I restored, there is a bushing in the gear case, whichd causes forward backward movement ...... I know because I had that issue and replaced that bushing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks.
I would think the worm gear would provide forward force and that something in front of the shaft acts to hold it. It is not clear from the parts diagram to be what the parts around the shaft in the gear box are doing, so to Oneacer's point, at least one or more acts like a bushing.

I will have to break the unit in two in order to get to the pulley in question for examination. It is acting like it is bent or attached incorrectly rather than being driven from a bent impeller shaft because there does not seem to be any up/down/left/right movement.

It is 7F outside now, so this needs to wait another day. I just fixed my backup 1964 10ML60D, so that will have to work for the storm coming to the Northeast in 2 days.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Hi All,

I have a 920014 (version with cast-iron gear box) and noticed that the auger pulley seemed to have a wobble when running.

With the engine stopped there seems to be some play in the impeller shaft (forward/back movement, not side to side).

How much play, if any, is normal? What are the usual suspects for excessive play? It is hard to interpret the parts list, but I really do not see anything outside of the gear box that controls front to back movement?

TIA
Seth
There is no forward/backward free play on my new 2022 Pro 420 model 926084, and I have not heard of people questioning any play.

There was that play on my 2015 Platinum 30 SHO, didn't feel any more that a 1/4" if that, but was actually 0.488". The impeller shaft play is controlled by the fit of the impeller to the impeller shaft bearing rather than the gearbox. The impeller is fixed to the shaft and the shaft bearing is attached to the back of impeller housing with a bearing retainer. The impeller shaft can move forward and back through the bearing center, if there is a space between the impeller boss and the bearing inner race. The impeller and shaft can move forward and back through the bearing inner race which may cause wear on the impeller shaft which is not good. Also the impeller large pulley is being moved sideways affecting auger belt alignment.

This is not acceptable to me (additionally) since the positioning of the impeller in the impeller housing is affected. So I positioned the impeller in the housing so the back of the impeller was in the same plane as the back opening of the housing, and the forward part of impeller did not contact anything (which it shouldn't). I measured the gap between inner bearing race and the hub of the impeller. Cut down a bushing to that distance and did a trial fit. I think I made a few adjustments to get to a bushing 0.488" long and a diameter not to exceed the inner bearing race diameter. Put it all back together (so bushing is located between impeller hub and inner bearing race) and there was no play and no binding in the gearbox. Still working great and no problems. Another benefit is the bearing lasts longer since it is fully supported by the bushing and is not forced out of alignment causing bearing to crack and fall apart after more than 60 hours of use.

Are the seals on your gearbox leaking the red L3 lubricant, particularly the impeller shaft seal?

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Thinking about your problem, there is an alternative explanation, that the impeller shaft hub is not fully tightened down with the bolt. The bolt can sometimes loosen so the shaft will have the forward and back movement. Also if the spacer between the hub and inner bearing is missing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks. I just checked and there is zero leakage of oil from the gearbox, and the level checks good per user manual. I'm waiting for a warmer day, and less snow threat to disassemble the mess.

I am thinking the forward facing flange bushing in the gearbox is what holds the impeller shaft in place when the impeller is spinning (the impeller will have a forward force caused by the worm gear screwing action to the auger gear), so, the static (not spinning) play that I am worried about may not be a real issue. (e.g., there is really nothing that holds everything in place (when not spinning) other than the possible interference of the impeller against the blower housing if the impeller shaft is pulled towards the rear of the machine). If that is true, then my wobble would be caused by its attachment to the impeller itself (loose?) or the impeller bearing plate/bearing is loose. I think that is what Town is implying.

·
Registered
53 Posts
There is suppose to be play in and out of the gear box. No play up and down is all. Any play up and down means impeller bearing is sloppy.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts