Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
JackMels? He sold out? Of all his stashes? No more freebies?

Reactions: Jackmels

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Jack's is a quality company with great pricing and good generic replacement parts at a big discount.

Northern Tool I've have not ordered from them for 30+ years.

·
Premium Member
1,116 Posts
Given the choice between Horrible Fraud and Northen Tool, Northern is the obvious choice (at least to me). A lot of the Chinese power equipment is the same, but Northern has a better warranty and price a lot of the time. (Harbor is also, at least here, and unorganized mess that feels more like a dollar store).

Example: Harbor had a 3k inverter generator in red branded "Predator" for about $699 with a 90 day warranty. A quick search showed this to available in about 6 brandings . . . Northern hadit in blue, in 5he "PowerHorse" branding for $550 or so, one year warranty. Identical docs and parts list . . .

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
I've used Jack's in the past, Good Prices, and Reasonable Turnaround Time. Things seem to change when Companies get bought out, and usually not for the better.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Jack's is about 15 miles from me and has been a good place to both buy and to get service work done.
Jacks has joined the Northern Tool + Equipment Family to grow their parts & service business both online and through NTE retail stores!

The Jacks Small Engines team and brand will continue to operate and become even stronger with the support and resources of Northern Tool.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Northern Tools is owned by Amazon. I'm not so enthusiastic about the future of Jacks. I've dealt with them more than a few times, and had good servicre and good parts from them. Amazon? The bottom line counts...make it cheaper.

·
Registered
1979 Ariens 924044
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don’t think Amazon owns Northern. Northern sell things through Amazon. Jacks did also.

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
Northern Tools is owned by Amazon.
I don’t think Amazon owns Northern. Northern sell things through Amazon. Jacks did also.
The Kotula family owns Northern Tool + Equipment Co. They also own The Golf Warehouse & The Sportsman's Guide.

Northern Tool was founded by Don Kotula when he began selling log splitters out of his garage.

Reactions: Toolboxhero

·
Registered
190 Posts
The Kotula family owns Northern Tool + Equipment Co. They also own The Golf Warehouse & The Sportsman's Guide.

Northern Tool was founded by Don Kotula when he began selling log splitters out of his garage.
I stand corrected, you are correct. I should have googled them first before posting that.

·
Registered
564 Posts
My beef with Jack's was with the constant backordering of parts.[pre-pandemic] Seemed they stock less and less lately and the attitude you got on their customer service line when trying to nail down the delivery schedule was less than ideal. Price was OK, nothing to rant about, but careful shopping on other E-tailers sites could yield good results and better pricing. Hopefully both branches of the company will see improvement.

·
Registered
190 Posts
My beef with Jack's was with the constant backordering of parts.[pre-pandemic]

Hopefully both branches of the company will see improvement.
During the pandemic too. I had a big order for small parts (spk plugs, bolts, etc.) and it came in 3 packages over a couple of weeks.

Don't bet on it.

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
I had a big order for small parts (spk plugs, bolts, etc.) and it came in 3 packages over a couple of weeks.
When I was a kid (20s-30s) I would order stuff and it would come over the next couple of months - maybe... Everyone today is SPOILED.

Reactions: Kiss4aFrog

·
Registered
190 Posts
When I was a kid (20s-30s) I would order stuff and it would come over the next couple of months - maybe... Everyone today is SPOILED.
You are revealing your age.... And Amazon is trying to cut their two day delivery down to one day. Since their delivery trucks now park willy nilly, blocking neighbors' driveways and even the whole street (should a car be across from their delivery address) it is only going to get worse. UPS and Fed Ex are more considerate.

·
Registered
142 Posts
You are revealing your age.... And Amazon is trying to cut their two day delivery down to one day. Since their delivery trucks now park willy nilly, blocking neighbors' driveways and even the whole street (should a car be across from their delivery address) it is only going to get worse. UPS and Fed Ex are more considerate.
Unfortunately [email protected] has hired a lot of people to drive delivery trucks that have little to no experience driving a delivery truck. They saw that online ordering was going to increase significantly during the pandemic and couldn't count on UPS/FEDEX/USPS. It has created a lot of jobs, but they didn't have the proper time to hire qualified drivers.

On topic, I've always found Jack's to be expensive (at least for everything I was looking for). I've bought some tools from Northern. Usually their deals were the same at many other places at the time. A lot of times it came down to shipping charges or availability for me.

Only time will tell if things change for the worse. I don't see things getting better, though.

·
Premium Member
7,030 Posts
bought sumting from northern tool and now i get tons of emails from them.

irritating as heck........yes i know i can unsubscribe but its just a pain.

·
Registered
142 Posts
bought sumting from northern tool and now i get tons of emails from them.

irritating as heck........yes i know i can unsubscribe but its just a pain.
That is common practice these days for any website that sells sh!t. I got a gmail address that I use for all websites that will send promotions.

I must have 5 or 6 email addresses. Keeps the crap away from the important emails.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts