Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had an earlier post about this. Had my Ariens 522 ss out blowing snow Saturday morning. Was doing the neighbor's driveway because he's a few years older and doesn't own a blower. Not much snow a'tall. Maybe 2-3" at most. Half of one of the paddles snapped off. These aren't some cheap, aftermarket paddles either. Airens OEM paddles. At least $80/set. Just got done putting a new belt on it too. This machine is getting too expensive to own. :(
Going to give it one more chance and then it's bye bye blower.
I'm wondering now if I should buy OEM parts or some aftermarket brand such as Stens or?

Attachments

·
Registered
110 Posts
I had an earlier post about this. Had my Ariens 522 ss out blowing snow Saturday morning. Was doing the neighbor's driveway because he's a few years older and doesn't own a blower. Not much snow a'tall. Maybe 2-3" at most. Half of one of the paddles snapped off. These aren't some cheap, aftermarket paddles either. Airens OEM paddles. At least $80/set. Just got done putting a new belt on it too. This machine is getting too expensive to own. :(
Going to give it one more chance and then it's bye bye blower.
Honestly, buy a 2nd hand toro, honda, or ariens 2 stage. If you are willing to change parts you might as well buy something decent from craigslist and maintain it.

·
Super Moderator
6,670 Posts
was this the first use of the ariens

·
Premium Member
5,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Premium Member
5,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Honestly, buy a 2nd hand toro, honda, or ariens 2 stage. If you are willing to change parts you might as well buy something decent from craigslist and maintain it.
I have two other blowers. Ariens Sno Tec 24 and a Toro 521. The 522 ss is supposed to be a decent machine.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Hard to beat the small Honda machines. If I were to buy a single stage I'd go with that or a Toro. Ariens for a 2 stage is great but not a fan of the smaller ones, or the smaller simplicity for that matter. Just MHO I know some won't like it but that's what I have judged from use observation. :cool:

·
Premium Member
5,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Abuse from the former owner do you suppose?
Well, Larry, I don't believe it was. It was kind of dirty when I bought it and was missing a handle bolt but after a quick cleanup it was in exceptional condition. And another thing. I had already done my driveway and all the sidewalks too. It surely shoul,d have have gone south earlier if it had already been cracked or otherwise damaged, I would think. It is a very nice, well paved, clean driveway too, and I hadn't hit anything. I guess anything's possible but...dang. I had 4 Toro ss blowers and sold every last one of them. Wish I'd kept that Power Clear I sold a couple months ago.
Going to change my sig pic too.:(

·
Registered
273 Posts
New parts pricing from ALL the major manufacturers is ridiculous, and the aftermarket and most ebay sellers are as well. It would probably be over $2500 to build a SS or Sno-tek from parts...And it's even more ridiculous for anything over 5 years old. I'm convinced they're doing this on purpose...Makes me feel like buying every $50 blower on CL and listing the parts on EBAY for $3 a piece just to stick it to them. The manufacturers really want every thing to be disposable so they can keep their unit numbers up. It's all about the numbers nowaday, and between that attitude and lean warehousing, it's the end user that is odd man out if they're not constantly replacing units.

·
Premium Member
5,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, after looking all over the 'net and making some calls I ordered these...

·
Registered
225 Posts
Fortunately, cast iron beasts like those so many here have are not difficult to keep running for a long, long time. If you look at how they manage to keep 60 year old cars running in Cuba (where heading down to the local Honda dealer is not an option), keeping a vintage blower (er, thrower :) alive for a long time is a snap by comparison, for those who are a bit handy.

·
Account closed by member request.
9,612 Posts
Well, Larry, I don't believe it was. It was kind of dirty when I bought it and was missing a handle bolt but after a quick cleanup it was in exceptional condition. And another thing. I had already done my driveway and all the sidewalks too. It surely shoul,d have have gone south earlier if it had already been cracked or otherwise damaged, I would think. It is a very nice, well paved, clean driveway too, and I hadn't hit anything. I guess anything's possible but...dang. I had 4 Toro ss blowers and sold every last one of them. Wish I'd kept that Power Clear I sold a couple months ago.
Going to change my sig pic too.:(
I guess you had to learn the hard way there. BROTHER JOE.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
6,670 Posts
I was hoping that you would have kept the powerclear so there would be a real comparison of the toro and ariens

·
Premium Member
5,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I was hoping that you would have kept the powerclear so there would be a real comparison of the toro and ariens
Yep. I wish I would have too, William. Bet that the Power Clear wouldn't toss a paddle like the Ariens did. I'm really bummed about it, to the point I may just fix it and get rid of the dang thing. It'd be a different story if I'd smacked something with it but there was nothing there. A snowblower shouldn't break because of snow. But ya know, I shouldn't complain. Just be very thankful I have the means and talent to repair it. :) Try to see the bright side.
I do like that Sno Tek though. It's a pretty nice machine and does a fine job tossing snow.

·
Super Moderator
6,670 Posts
Yep. I wish I would have too, William. Bet that the Power Clear wouldn't toss a paddle like the Ariens did. I'm really bummed about it, to the point I may just fix it and get rid of the dang thing. It'd be a different story if I'd smacked something with it but there was nothing there. A snowblower shouldn't break because of snow. But ya know, I shouldn't complain. Just be very thankful I have the means and talent to repair it. :) Try to see the bright side.
I do like that Sno Tek though. It's a pretty nice machine and does a fine job tossing snow.
I'm glad you like the sno-tek too, i'll be over to pick up the 521 soon :D

·
Premium Member
5,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm glad you like the sno-tek too, i'll be over to pick up the 521 soon :D
Hah! NO WAY,! It's going to be a while before I trust the orange company. Guy I got the Sno Tek from sold it because it was a replacement for a 20" one he had just bought. Second time he used it th auger trans went crunch. This was the replacement and it is too wide for him.
I'm keeping a backup machine. The 521 ain't going anywhere. ;)

·
Premium Member
5,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The mail man showed up yesterday.
That is incredibly fast service.

Attachments

·
Registered
338 Posts
One possible guess is, the former owner had put on cheap Chineese no-name paddles in order to sell the machine with what looked like good paddles. I seriously doubt Ariens branded paddles would snap off.

I've owned several Toro's (still have a good CCR 3650 in the shed) and never had a problem with a paddle breaking. The rubber is reinforced and just too heavy gauge.

As it's used, make certain you check the scraper bar for wear. Usually if the paddles need replacing, so does the scraper bar, and not everyone checks this. If it does need replacing, you will notice a dramatic difference inthe way it blows snow.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts