·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
And now it is home. It was cold and raining so i tested the heated handles while driving it into the garage.
So nice with warm hands

·
Registered
772 Posts
And now it is home. It was cold and raining so i tested the heated handles while driving it into the garage.

So nice with warm hands
Pics?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
:white^_^arial^_^0^_
Post pics whenever you can. I think it takes 8 posts to be qualified to post pics so post away!

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Hmmm... looks like you have at least 28 posts so please post so pics of that bad boy!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry. no good photo op.

First major testrun today

Negative
Needs frontal weight to keep the nose down on a sloped driveway
snowchute angles. Doesn't turn far enough and can't throw snow in a sufficient high angle
Paintjob. Big flakes has come off in the auger housing

Positive
Engine power. It got lots of it
Throwing distance. About 4 inches of medium fluffy stuff and an effective throwing range of about 12 meters
Handlewarmers. Nice to not have cold hands

I will look into modding the chute turning angels since it needs more turning angle when it throws the snow so far away. I don't know if I will order the Ariens weight kit or make my own alternative but it will get heavier in the nose

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Sorry. no good photo op.

First major testrun today

Negative
Needs frontal weight to keep the nose down on a sloped driveway
snowchute angles. Doesn't turn far enough and can't throw snow in a sufficient high angle
Paintjob. Big flakes has come off in the auger housing

Positive
Engine power. It got lots of it
Throwing distance. About 4 inches of medium fluffy stuff and an effective throwing range of about 12 meters
Handlewarmers. Nice to not have cold hands

I will look into modding the chute turning angels since it needs more turning angle when it throws the snow so far away. I don't know if I will order the Ariens weight kit or make my own alternative but it will get heavier in the nose
Mats, big flakes coming off in the auger housing is not normal. You should touch base with your dealer ASAP!
While I would not expect them to exchange the machine they could swap out your auger housing for a new one quite easily.
Seems crazy on a pro machine like that and is not the normal from Ariens.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Congrats on new machine Mats.... but as Zavie said that paint is meant to last longer than a week unless you have gravel in your drive maybe??? Are you working under normal paved driveway conditions or???? If so I would take Zavie's advice...that should not be happening.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Congrats on new machine Mats.... but as Zavie said that paint is meant to last longer than a week unless you have gravel in your drive maybe??? Are you working under normal paved driveway conditions or???? If so I would take Zavie's advice...that should not be happening.
I do have gravel but not even then should it come off like that. You should get small marks/dents like when a small stone hits your car, not large flakes.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Delays, Delays, Delays.
My AC-DC converter is missing in transport. If it doesn't arrive by the middle of next week Amazon will swnd a new one but that is a few weeks lost.

It's going to be used to power a pair of extra led lights

Reactions: Zavie

·
Registered
455 Posts
Welcome from Gettysburg!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sorry for a late reply but Thanks...

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Welcome from Gettysburg!
Sorry for late reply but thank you.

On the mod front there isn't much to say. The AC-DC converter is lost in transit so amazon is sending a new one (sometime)

I bought 2 12W led lights. I did test one to verify them. It used almost 18W so I returned them. Got a pair of 9W lights instead and they seem to use under 10W.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
bought some metal and electrical parts yesterday at least. Still waiting on that AC-DC converter.

Did a little bit in sketchup also.
One idea for a combined frontweight and holder for my led lights.
The bottom plate is about the same size as the ariens weight (590X100X10mm). The top parts are cut from 70X40X70X8 mm angled steel.
I will trim these pieces down so that the top of them will be fairly flat compared to the ground.

The downside with this design is that the lights will be almost at the front of the auger housing. They would be less exposed a bit further back.
on the other hand - the ones i got seems to be fairly robust and this design is easy to manufacture

The final challenge is that it should not interfere with the cleaning tool. Mostly a challenge with the wiring I hope

Attachments

·
Registered
152 Posts
That looks like it should work really well. Please post a few pictures when you get this mod finished. I could use some additional lighting on mine. I purchased one of these LED 801 lights to replace the stock halogen bulb, but in my opinion, all these stock replacement LED's only change the "light color". This supposedly "extreme Bright Max High Power" LED doesn't throw much more light, but it definitely is whiter. These don't flicker either. When I first start the machine with the choke on, the light flickers slightly, but once the choke is turned off, there's absolutely zero flickering at any engine speed, even at idle.

JDM ASTAR Extremely Bright Max 50W High Power 881 LED Fog Light Bulbs, Xenon White

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Got a pair of different lights today.
Not as "strong" rated at 900 LM but they have a really wide angle they spread the light in.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Well after a battle with (U)nreliable (P)roblem !(S)ervices today i finally got my ac-dc converter.

Yesterday evening I did call them to verify my delivery - "It will be delivered to your door tomorrow". "so you can promise that - no weekly schedule or something else?". - "It will be delivered tomorrow".

Then I called their subcontractor today -"No, it's on weekly schedule for the next working Thursday. If you want it earlier you must collect it at our depot".

Well I do need it so I had to take a 90KM roundtrip drive to get it. I did complain to amazon afterwards though and they wasn't exactly impressed either with their partners way of handling a priority shipment so they refunded the shipping and gave me a discount check as compensation.

This did take over two hours of valuable daylight so i did not get as far as I wanted today. The build has started though and there will be some pictures (as soon as i find the cable for it).

Reactions: Zavie

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I feel bad your UPS experience was poor, mine generally has always been very good. Obviously this time of year can be difficult when it comes to shipping. I am still always amazed how well it generally works. Reminds me that I must get a tip ready for my mail person and UPS guy!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Today's version of the weight.

I have made it wider. After all, why should I make it fit a 24" when I got a 28"?
It can still be used on a 24" if you cut it smaller and move the small holes.
Those holes are to be used to hold rubber feet between my weight and the auger housing

I also moved the light holders closer together. This was to give the lights a little more margin from the sides of the mover.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 24 Posts